Go on Name the Major Mr Yon!

pacestick said:
Yon Blog

Well Media OPs have done themseves no favours then - good blokes!! :evil:
I fully take on board what Yon says about good and bad.
This cnut in Bastion sounds like a Russian Commissar and I have no doubt there are others. That being the case I hope the tar sticks to those types while the rest get on with doing, what sounds like, a reasonable job.

This is the classic muzzle/foot interface.

Coincidence that this should be published at the same time that MoD admitted that the Chinook WAS shot down?

Yon said:
Some of the smokescreens are less important but they are demonstrative of the pattern: On 20 August a, CH-47 helicopter was shot down by a Taliban RPG during a British Special Forces mission. Richardson reported that the aircraft landed due to an engine fire. Some hours later, while I was on a mission nearby, the Taliban were singing over the radios about shooting it down. I heard the rumble when the helicopter was destroyed by airstrikes. The Taliban knew they hit the helicopter. So who is Richardson lying to? Not the enemy…unless the enemy is the British public.

i remember seeing a response from the media ops people- it was posted here somewhere??? about why Yon's imbed was cancelled, and now to hear this lot - fcuk - i feel almost ignorant to the propagander machine that the MOD are running - it's worse than the WW I/II stuff!

As much as I like Mr Yon's reports I tend to treat the media with as much sceptesism as I do politicians speeches.
There are two sides to every story, Mr Yon has published his....

I'd be interested to hear tearsbeforebedtime's take on this and I hope the friendly media types pick up this line:

"Bob Ainsworth is covered in British blood and painfully deceptive. Henceforth, he will always be known as “Bullshit Bob”"

No punches pulled there, Michael!

jagman said:
pacestick said:
i trust Yon more than i trust our esteemed government at the moment!
You may have a valid point there, he is still a journalist though.....
Good point, a journo is a journo, but for this bloke it can be forgotten. Top bloke, doubt many others would fight there corner in person like that.

For journo bashers, lets not forget one critical point about Michael Yon; ex US SF squaddie journo.

His squaddie instincts have got him into trouble before, picking up a gun whilst covering a unit in Iraq a few years ago.
TCTND or Ross Kemp he is definately not

How much do you want to bet that the Meda Ops SO2 is TA? Not wishing to disparage the TA, but the story has all the hallmarks of a mobilised TA officer with little actual operational experience big timing it.

woopert said:
How much do you want to bet that the Meda Ops SO2 is TA? Not wishing to disparage the TA, but the story has all the hallmarks of a mobilised TA officer with little actual operational experience big timing it.
PTP's been a bit quiet on ARRSE recently. :wink:

whitecity said:
woopert said:
PTP's been a bit quiet on ARRSE recently. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

jagman said:
pacestick said:
i trust Yon more than i trust our esteemed government at the moment!
You may have a valid point there, he is still a journalist though.....
Yes he is a journalist and yes there are two sides to every story. But he is a professional soldier who has become a non mainstream journalist and that makes a huge difference

What comes through in this writing has the clear ring of uncomplicated truth despite threats of the "loss of access", something that mainstream journalists tend to dread and all too often leads them to being comprimised to some extent.

This for me was the important bit:

"At a glance, that seems trivial stuff, really. But it’s not trivial when you know that these are the same Media Ops people—who do not leave their base or go on missions—who are spooling out “the message” to the media. They are clueless about the state of the war in Afghanistan. For instance, many of the Media Ops officers will insist that we have enough helicopters in Afghanistan. Those officers are either completely oblivious to the actuality of the situation or lying.

General Petraeus told me straight up that we don’t have enough and that we doubled our helicopters in the last four months and are in the process of fielding “two more fistfuls.” (He did not give specific numbers.) Those BS-filled officers who deny the obvious are, in fact, symptomatic to why we are losing the war.

When I deliver good news, out rolls the red carpet. Bad news, and it’s time to fight again. Only now it’s not Censoring Iraq, it’s Censoring Helmand. And it’s not the U.S. doing it this time, but the British government. The British people are demanding truth and they deserve accountability. They aren’t getting it from Camp Bastion.

Some of the Media Ops guys in Afghanistan are good at something such as threatening future access if a correspondent shows “attitude” about being poorly treated. My answer is go to hell. They can take their access and. . . . I work for the soldiers, for the readers, and for the people in general. If Media Ops chooses to be an obstacle, that is their choice."

What perhaps Michael does not fully understand is the terrible extent to which this culture of deception now lives at the very heart of our useless government and simply flows down.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Not defending the PInfo Muppet (although we don't know the whole story) with reference to the bloke out tabbing could he not have had a point there? I thought all PT was supposed to be banned at certain temperatures?

it wasn't, only advised to keep it too a minimum. Practicing tabbing in heat in what is effectively a controlled environment can only be a good thing, esp considering they wont be doing it in a controlled environment out of the wire! must admit though i did the full Kaf route (just a run) at midday in August, if the heat doesn't get you the dust soon does!

CaptainPlume said:
Not defending the PInfo Muppet (although we don't know the whole story) with reference to the bloke out tabbing could he not have had a point there? I thought all PT was supposed to be banned at certain temperatures?
Response indicating "Muppet": "You! Soldier! what do you think you are doing running in the sun? I bet you think you're well ally don't you? Don't you know Phys is banned during the hours of 1200 to 1500? blah blah blah" blasted out so all in immediate vicinity can hear and observe his importance

Response of the kind of Maj who garners respect: "It's a bit hot, you sure you know what you're doing and have enough water? Here take some of mine and crack on" said quietly enough only the soldier and the Maj hear and observe the exchange.

I recall from one of his Iraq dispatches a conversation between a Maj and a Cpl when calling in a strike on a suspected target where the Cpl holds the Maj off until he is certain they are both talking about the same target and that only En are green-lit. Yon's comment was about the level of professionalism whereby in some US units the Cpl wouldn't have dared speak out and the Maj probably wouldn't have listened. This is a guy, don't forget, who has seen the British army at its absolute best in the field and its absolute worst in the form of base rats and admin queens. I'd be inclined to trust his judgement as to which category the MediaOps SO2 falls into. Remember the SO2 may have an arrse as an SO1 making pump decisions, the extent to which the SO2 falls into that category is how far he goes to do the right thing while implementing the wrong decision.