Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Nigel, Apr 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering is this a new guided rocket for the existing MLRS or a completely new systerm?
  2. It's a guided munition for the existing MLRS. I beleive it will contain sub-munitions, but I can't confirm that.
  3. The US have been using it in Iraq since 2005, it is a unitary warhead rocket with a range of 70km, GPS guidance to c. 2m accuracy and destructive power roughly equivalent to a 155mm shell.

As M26 is now withdrawn it is the only rocket we have for MLRS. It will be deployed on Herrick in the near future.
  4. No Sub Munitions. HE warhead only, which at about 90Kg is approx 10 times more than a 155 HE.
  5. So, are these rockets the same size as standard MLRS rockets, or are they similar to ATACAMS?
  6. Sounds a great bit of kit for hitting known static targets but what if you want to annhilate a Motor Rifle Battalion spread out over a 1km grid square? Can anybody think of anything that would perform that role?
  7. I Believe that it still as a proximity rocket that will do 250x250, but i am no expert.
  8. Perhaps some sort of cluster sub-munition with little bombs in it? Ideally with a shaped charge to top-attack armour and softskins?