Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glue sticky

Well, that's out of the way.

On a more serious note, does anyone use anything other than the standard glue? Super glue becomes frangible, but are modern epoxies better? Or are you all carefully applying it, so you don't risk melting the plastic?

On a more serious note, does anyone use anything other than the standard glue? Super glue becomes frangible, but are modern epoxies better? Or are you all carefully applying it, so you don't risk melting the plastic?
Depends what you refer to as 'standard glue'. Apparently there are still people around who use the tube of Airfix glue to make models with, even the transparencies.

I've about a hundred tubes of Airfix glue and about a thousand pounds worth of Humbrol enamel to get through before I join the nineties.

Tamiya Extra Thin is good if you can find stock.

Daz

LE

It depends on the plastic, some kits are rather reluctant to work with standard plastic cement/glue.

Thinking about it, I've got the following types shoved away in the draw:
Tamiya Thin (Bottle & Brush)
Tamiya Extra Thin (Bottle & Brush)
Mr Cement Thick (Bottle & Brush)
Mr Cement SP (Bottle & Brush)
Revell Contacta (Bottle & Brush)
Revell Contacta (Needle)
ABS Cement
Superglue -Various

Most of them are applied with either very thin paintbrushes or thin wire rather than the supplied brush

Depends what you refer to as 'standard glue'. Apparently there are still people around who use the tube of Airfix glue to make models with, even the transparencies.
The little rubber phial of cement which used to come with Airfix kits was the dog’s for putting fingerprints on to canopies...
This:
I have been using it for years (the can lasts forever) generally using a brush to apply (but don’t get the painted brush handle in the cement). Screwfix superglue passes the finger bonding test with ease, Ebays cheapest epoxy (in the smallest tubes) for odd jobs.

Latest Threads