Glucosamine Sulphate - anyone used it for creaking knees?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Evil_Calvin, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lately I have been getting funny noises coming from my knees when I go upstairs - no pain just a creaking noise. A friend of mine has suggested that I take some Glucosamine Sulphate to see if that cures it (I am seeing the Doc next week too as I have been putting that off as I might no like the answer).

Has anyone used/tried it before? What dosages are best (most stuff I have seen suggests 1500mg per day)? Does it work? Anyone had any similar symptoms to me? What was it? etc....

As always any advice appreciated.

2. I've used it for a fair few years but to be honest I don't know if it works or not. There again, I'm still running marathons and I'm 45 this years and I don't have any (surprisingly) knee problems, the rest of me is falling to bits but not my knees. I take two 750mg a day.
    This place does good deals and gives you info:
  3. Same as JD. I use it every day but can't actually say it it works or not! It seems too. I also got a knee problem fixed when I went to see a chiropractor and he re-aligned my pelvis.
  4. I'm the same been taking it now for about 12 months. I haven't found it to work directly, but I've been taking it and doing a physio program for a knee injury. I was advised to build up the muscles around the knee area to support the knee better, this has worked over the last couple of months and it doesn't give me any problems anymore.
  5. I've used Glocosamine Sulphate (GC) for my kness pain in the past. It has worked for me. Ask advice from your doc or physio. Buy from a decent dealer and follow the guidance on the jar.

IIRC, GS is a naturally occuring substance that your body uses to rebuild cartilage, which wears thin/out with heavy use; however, as the human body did not evolve (or was not intelligently designed (depending on your outlook)) to carry heavy weights etc, it simply cannot cope with the cartilage wear associated with modern living (and especially soldiering) and cannot naturally produce enough GS. Taking it in tablet form bolsters the body's existing system. Beware though, again IIRC, you can take too much and your body can react by growing too much cartilage, turning you into an extra from the X-Men; 'Cartilage Man'.
  6. Thanks for the answers - it looks like I should be taking these as a matter of course anyway so I have ordered some.

JD thanks for the link I have ordered the tablets and whilst on I thought I would get some "glossy coat and skin conditioner" - can't go wrong for £4.95, should do wonders for my hair and spots.

Seeing the Doc next week, so expecting a referral to a physio - this should sort out the knees.

Cheers for your help,

7. Looks interesting. I might try the GS & Cod Liver Oil tablets.
  8. GS definitely works for me. I can get up and down without the usual grinding on the knees, though I can't do it any faster! My Chiro also reoemmends green-lipped mussel as the nuclear option. Both from
  9. When I was 21 my knees made ghastly creaking noises. I recall that, each time I went upstairs, colleagues, some distance away, would remark on the noise. This has occurred at times over the years. No pain, just noises. I was in a car crash 23 years ago and gained a strange lump under my knee. The physio treating the lump remarked that I had loose ligaments. I have never taken any medication or supplements for it. I've never been a runner, but, at 55 years old, I am still able to walk ten miles or more (with hills) with no problem.

EDIT: Actually, for the past few years, i have been taking Multivitamins, Garlic Capsules and Fish Oil Capsules; nothing expensive or scientific, just Tesco's, because my diet is pretty erratic.
  10. There are so many conflicting opinions on the use of such supplements that it's useful to try and get and overview of the scientific studies carried out on them from t'internet.

I, personally (as a former CMT in the RAMC), believe that Glucosamine supplements don't help much at all. It really is inordinately difficult to add such essential substances to the human body from the outside in the form of pills and potions. I know that we all tend to half-believe the optimistic adverts when they shout: "Pill today, multiple back-flips tomorrow", but it doesn't actually work like that in the real (our) world.

The only advice I can really offer is: give it a whirl! If it helps you, then well done and be happy about your newfound mobility. If it doesn't; tough shite and you've not actually lost anything.

However, if you're going to take the plunge and invest in the stuff, you could do a whole lot worse (financially) than buying the kit from these folks: I've used their products for years and they offer real (I mean genuine) service and their prices really can't be beaten. If you're in two minds, give them a ring and listen to what they have to say. They're one of those "old-fashioned" companies so extremely rare in the world of today, where you feel like bursting into tears because you realise that you're actually being taken seriously as a customer. Sad, innit?

11. Same here
  12. I suffer with severe athrtitis,I spoke to my gp who told me that while in his opinion gs could help it wasn`t suitable for me as it can raise blood pressure.
  13. Well, I'm sure that the Cochrane Collaboration would love to hear from you :roll:

Their meta-analysis shows statistically significant benefit gained from taking glucosamine sulphate preparations.
  14. And here; I was told to do lots of Leg Extensions etc to build up muscle around the knee.
  15. Works for me too. I use a mix of GS and Chondroitin from Costco. It comes in a litre bottle of brown gloop which lasts just over a month (30ml a day).