Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by jetslut, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellas, I'm stuck in a wheelchair these days and every winter I get the same old problem - effin cold, wet hands.

Please understand that driving a wheelchair requires quite tactile feeling, so ski gloves are right out. I've used Her Majesty's flying gloves for years but the problem in snow is they absorb water and the grip rings of the wheels very quickly find ambient temperature. This amounts to numb and painful fingers in around 5 minutes in -10 degrees.

Can anyone recommend decent gloves that are:
    • Hard wearing
    • Warm when wet
    • thin enough to allow tactile sensation
    price is really not an option if, when I get into a warm room, it stops me from having to sit in a corner sniffing-back tears and saying to myself ''think brave thoughts!''

Thanks for your time

2. I think I'd take a look at some neoprene gloves if I were you.

Neoprene Gloves
  3. I would suggest neoprene, either divers gloves or stalkers - Jack Pyke do some nice ones. You could also have a look at mountain bikers gloves, as these come with padding in all the right places.
  4. I can recommend sealskinz ultragrip & I understand that sealskinz do a thermal option...
  5. Thanks Gents,
    I tried various divers gloves and found them to exhibit little grip out of water (even when wet!) and really wern't warm at all, mountain bike / moto-x gloves don't hold the heat either. A leather palm would be favorite. Has anyone used something like the UnderArmour gloves in extreme cold?
  6. What about these nice and thin and I dont suppose they hold much waterand if they do im sure they are still grippy and would dry quickly MILITARY FLYING GLOVES NOMEX
  7. There are some brilliant motorcycle gloves on the market...perhaps the guantlet style is inappropriate but Motocross and Enduro gloves are cuffed and may do the job.
  8. I've got a pair of these Ironclad Cold Condition Safety Glove not uber warm but hard wearing and neoprene and at £20 your not too pissed if you loose them also you can get them in camo
  9. My heyday was in the 80's (although I do wear a dpm windproof from time to time because it looks cool in a wheelchair and also different pattern from the boxheads), gloves in camo would clash with the greying hair!
    My deepest thanks to all who have taken the time to answer, I'll try the suggestions.
  10. Harken sailing gloves are excellent, tactile, warm when sat in a soaking wet boat for hours on end, and leather palmed for ropework. Cant find a link for them at the moment but to my limited mental powers are probably the most suitable.

Failing that neoprene shooting gloves, Barbour et al might work.
  11. After over comeing the urge to scream "Man-up" i thought about it.

I know someone who has used the UnderArmour gloves in the cold and said they were ok, but not reat when static (not a prob for you I guess) but they seem quite thin and I'm not sure how durable they would be.

You can get the Oakley tactical gloves with leather or kevlar palms and they are very durable (I use them), but the molded kevlar knuckles might put you off, you could aways just say they stop you smashing your knuckles on stuff. Again great if your working with your hands but not great when you stop, they have kept my hands warm even in a pishing wet Scotish Ex as well.
  12. Cheers blokes, looks like I'm going to have to try several and find what works best.
    Unicyle, I'll resist the urge to bite with the usual spakker sob story but mate, you can't believe how painful it is when you're dependent on yer mitts ....and there's no respite. Not even a few minutes with 'em in pockets helps.
    The 'Man-up' is great to an extent, and I suppose I'm a great practitioner of this mantra amongst spakkers of my age (45+), Problem is however, if you can't feel and use your fingers and hands in a wheelchair, really are disabled.
    My thanks to all that have taken the time to enlighten me. There will be test reports and associated slagging to those who have raved about, but what has proved to be , er ....pants.

Heads down fellas, be safe, wherever you are.

13. Jet slut have you had a look at repelling gloves ? Also a bit off subject but why do people in wheelchairs wear hiking boots ?
  14. Good question Coops,
    I still have a pair of Meindl Perfekts that I wear when in the snow!! The main reason is because most Paraplegics have no sensation in legs and feet so that if you get an injury, the first you'll know about it is a trail of blood on the floor (it has happened to me on more than one occaision when bimbleling about with bare feet), secondly boots do offer some protection against ankle injuries if you're an active off-road wheelie-bin. Others I suppose just like the look,'s something to do with the "hey I'm normal" thing. I did try to find a way to be able to wear my Karrimor Condor bergan, but have since relegated it back into the cellar.
    JS :excited: