Gloves: What do you wear?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by army_of_1, Feb 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know we're not all a fan of the issue CS95 flippers so what do people wear? What are the best gloves available for use in the field that keep your hands warm and still leave you the dexterity to close all the fiddly bits on your poutches etc.? Are sealskinz really the dog's danglies and worth the £25 asking price? Words of wisdom and experience please.
  2. I find the gloves contact are pretty good actually
  3. I'm not disputing their use. I wear them for doing duties and for monging around around but am not a great fan of them in the field. They take ages to dry, aren't that warm and their thickness makes handling fiddly bits difficult. I know they were introduced to be used with the weapons we have but changing mags and removing grenade rings when it's below freezing and wet is still cumbersome with them. They're OK but there has to be better out there. You can't say they aren't well-made either.
  4. Neoprene (wet-suit) gloves are great, try "Body-glove".
  5. i have a pair of gloves from Barbour they look like they are to fit a hand of 5 year old " no Michael Jackson jokes please" once on they stretch and are warm as toast and fold small so they are easy to keep in the pouch when they are not needed.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I always wear purple latex ones for those extra grubby searches!
  7. Chamois Gardening Gloves or Cut-down MT Gauntlets (looks odd but comfy and warm) Oh,and Blue Nitrile for all other occasions.
  8. Seal Skinz are good but they can melt, Ie firing weapons etc, For stagging on Gortex mittens they are good when you have to spend a long time on your belt buckle in a op, or ambush etc.

Just a quick story on gloves a few years back, We where on EX in the yank part of germany Grafonfer, a few yanks came over for a chat, as we where swinging the latern, One of them noticed i was wearing the old NI gloves, the yank then asked me "Whats in there" pointing to the padding on the Knuckles, I told him with a serious face that it contained a survival kit for emergency's he then swapped the totaly useless gloves for loads of gucci yank kit.
    Not the first to do this trick i know, just think of that poor yanks face when relying on the kit,he was faced with SPONGE :!: :D

They love us Brits.
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Whatever you do, don't fire a schermully while wearing fleecy gloves as I did on a depot ex a few years ago. Tube went backwards as rocket went forwards and fingers welded together - thankfully only fleece, not skin.
  10. The same goes for wet 95 gloves and mini flares, yes I know I'm "supposed" to put one hand under the blunt end but ..........
  11. Full length operator gloves from Hatch, the ones with 'roo hide for grip and an elasty cuff.

12. Air crew leather gloves. stupid colour but boot polish fixes them.