Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by old_bloke, Jan 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found one ? of these in my bag of old kit and just wondering what the fu** I was issued it for ? or for that matter when and where?

Anybody have an idea?

Aramid is a ballistic rated body armor fabric, and as an asbestos substitute according to Wiki.

Norway / Bosnia / Germany / Iraq and Germany , Cyprus

Dont know where I got it.

2. Norway I'd imagine, but I'm not sure? I got issued some nice white gloves for Norway, lost them many moons ago.
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

were you ever involved in firefighting or issued any other fireproof kit? would they be for driving of any kind?
  4. Norway so you could handle naphthalene and peak stoves without the gloves melting and sticking to your hand.
  5. I had white knitted gloves issued with my NBC guessing theyre not the same?
  6. The currently issued green contact gloves are a aramid mix if I remember. White ones are probably just the arctic version
  7. Anti-flash?

8. Are they issued to chefs?

Would they have been part of a chainsaw kit?

(The two suggestions are not necessarily related, but then...)
  9. knitted kevlar gloves - used to get those for a the best price when my dear old daddy worked in the food processing industry , cracking oven gloves with actual fingers and that - they were in their stores for handling high temperature stuff, so those talking aobut fire fighting or handling stoves etc are probably on the money ...

isn't the anti flash stuff proban or nomex type gear rather than aramid
  10. Nomex is simply a trademark for a particular type of aramid fabric.
  11. A quick look in JSP 768 shows that green combat gloves are the only current aramid gloves.

So it looks like you can put them on eBay as SAS, SBS, RM Arctic gloves - RARE :)

And if you put them on and use them to punch a steak into tenderness, you could add "used in combat"
  12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Aramid/Nomex hood and gloves are issued to certain jobs such as EOD or for handling of ammunition like White Phosphorus in storage.

Same type as used by racing drivers and with a NSN.
  13. I think it's jolly commendable that the RN has so many Muslim women serving aboard.