Gloves for EOD work

Hi all,

I'm pushing out to Kenya on Ex Pineapple (UXO clearance) soon. Because I'm a dirty, dirty STAB, I don't rate my chances of getting issued a pair of decent gloves, so I'm looking at shelling out some beer tokens.

Must be:

• Tough enough to be happy picking up bits of frag (and working in those legendary bastard bushes)
  • Dextrous enough to handle dems kit/GPS/etc.
  • Lightweight/cool enough that my hands don't melt into a pool of sweat
  • With fingers (poking around bits of frag)
  • Not outrageously expensive

There is no shortage of "Elite Ultra Tacticool SF Uber Para Nite Death" gloves on the market, so I thought I'd ask for a few suggestions rather than waste my money.

Cheers!

Don't spend your own cash on kit. Just ask to be issued whatever is current for role. If the computer/CQMS says no, sue the arrse of the Army when you subsequently get an inevitable paper cut :)

I'd like to, but we're having enough trouble getting desert boots and camelbaks issued never mind gloves!

They're about the only thing I intend to buy (other than a few creature comforts), as I don't mind 'cause they'll get a lot of use at home as well.

Let the forum have more details without identifying yerself and I reckon the Sun of the Daily Mail will be soon writing about our brave soldiers being denied essential kit kit by a desk-bound pen-pusher. Having said all that I managed to serve over 25 years doing EOD disposal on four continents without ever wearing gloves - I just lounged about with my hands in my pockets!

snip Having said all that I managed to serve over 25 years doing EOD disposal on four continents without ever wearing gloves - I just lounged about with my hands in my pockets!
<feigns surprise>

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Let the forum have more details without identifying yerself and I reckon the Sun of the Daily Mail will be soon writing about our brave soldiers being denied essential kit kit by a desk-bound pen-pusher. Having said all that I managed to serve over 25 years doing EOD disposal on four continents without ever wearing gloves - I just lounged about with my hands in my pockets!
That works on the truck park as well.

I would think any decent pair of work gloves will do for piling boxes of PE on blinds..

As said a pair of leather gardeners gloves. Yes your hands will get hot but they also come with the option of ******* taking them off.

However if you are desperate ask Dingerr, he may have a spare set.

I'm not a fanny, so the only gloves I used were forensic, but that's mandatory in some situations.

However, on occasion, when cutting my own route, I'd use a pair of cheap, but robust, gardening gloves.

Take a 2in paint brush and sharpen the end of the handle.

Dingerr is no doubt the authority on EOD but if you're looking at options I use Petzl Cordex every day at work

They're really tough in the palms but cool fabric on the back, I happily work with 6mm nuts and bolts whilst wearing them, and they're about £30...

CORDEX | Petzl

Tool station have Canadian Riggers Gloves for 98p. They more than adequate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Classified Ads 15
A Weapons, Equipment & Rations 11
spank_the_monkey Weapons, Equipment & Rations 22