Gloves for EOD work

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by satellitedriver, Jun 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm pushing out to Kenya on Ex Pineapple (UXO clearance) soon. Because I'm a dirty, dirty STAB, I don't rate my chances of getting issued a pair of decent gloves, so I'm looking at shelling out some beer tokens.

Must be:

• Tough enough to be happy picking up bits of frag (and working in those legendary bastard bushes)
    • Dextrous enough to handle dems kit/GPS/etc.
    • Lightweight/cool enough that my hands don't melt into a pool of sweat
    • With fingers (poking around bits of frag)
    • Not outrageously expensive

There is no shortage of "Elite Ultra Tacticool SF Uber Para Nite Death" gloves on the market, so I thought I'd ask for a few suggestions rather than waste my money.

2. Don't spend your own cash on kit. Just ask to be issued whatever is current for role. If the computer/CQMS says no, sue the arrse of the Army when you subsequently get an inevitable paper cut :)
  3. I'd like to, but we're having enough trouble getting desert boots and camelbaks issued never mind gloves!

They're about the only thing I intend to buy (other than a few creature comforts), as I don't mind 'cause they'll get a lot of use at home as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. East London mate. It's rough.
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Let the forum have more details without identifying yerself and I reckon the Sun of the Daily Mail will be soon writing about our brave soldiers being denied essential kit kit by a desk-bound pen-pusher. Having said all that I managed to serve over 25 years doing EOD disposal on four continents without ever wearing gloves - I just lounged about with my hands in my pockets!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Why not just buy a decent pair of gardening gloves- they do exactly what they say on the tin.
  7. <feigns surprise>
  8. I wear these, wore them in sub-tropical 90% humidity, 100 degree heat. I had two pairs mind, one for before lunch and one for after, 'cos they do get absolutely gopping wet, as they all do.

Material 4X Original Glove : Mechanix Wear
  9. That works on the truck park as well.
  10. I would think any decent pair of work gloves will do for piling boxes of PE on blinds..
  11. Is the correct answer.
  12. As said a pair of leather gardeners gloves. Yes your hands will get hot but they also come with the option of ******* taking them off.

However if you are desperate ask Dingerr, he may have a spare set.
  13. I'm not a fanny, so the only gloves I used were forensic, but that's mandatory in some situations.

However, on occasion, when cutting my own route, I'd use a pair of cheap, but robust, gardening gloves.

Take a 2in paint brush and sharpen the end of the handle.
  14. Dingerr is no doubt the authority on EOD but if you're looking at options I use Petzl Cordex every day at work

They're really tough in the palms but cool fabric on the back, I happily work with 6mm nuts and bolts whilst wearing them, and they're about £30...

CORDEX | Petzl