Gloucestershires very own during the war tour, guided by your resident Uncle Albert walt

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The official Cotswold during the war tour

Friday the 13th August 08.45 Hrs start

Meeting point will be given in due course ( ease of parking etc)​

put yer names down here chaps and chappeses ( well behaved kids are welcome )

Due to the French Chaps not letting us visit them, many of you ,myself included have missed out on our annual get togethers, and walking tours

So it has been decided to organise such a tour, radiating from the small town of Cheltenham.

A lucky small select group will be entertained and educated, stimulated, and generally amused

if it works well I can organise future tours , and can run it into a second day, if not my A.D.C. Will deal with me

Fridays are the best day for me, and if a second day is requested we will run into the Saturday morning/ early afternoon , its going to be a full day though and a late finish to see everything

Our itinerary will feature , the Great War, the Second World War, the Cold War, and Gloucestershire's links to the aviation industry, plus some old shit that might interest you, it will start of with a brisk march around the town, pointing out various interesting things, and local weirdos, nutcases and falling down stuff.

Following that a return to the cars then a drive between sites of interest , some of which will be totally unexpected, and I hope rewarding, a bit of religious stuff, a visit to a historic dogging site, and bunkers, radio stations and secret stuff.

I have to limit it to two vehicles, as parking in some places is awkward, and many of the locals do not like large groups of people turning up, also by keeping it small my secret Cotswolds might stay secret

I have seats for two people in my worn out old car ,

plus we can take one more car with up to 5 people, so perhaps a group could sort themselves out ?

For the first trip I will have in my front seat, a steely eyed dealer of death, ( he has let himself go a bit though, the fat knacker ! ) to ensure that everything runs along strict military lines, prod me when I nod off , and carry out the auction at the end ( military books and stuff) you can listen respectfully, or take the piss, and also feel free to add additional information and increase the knowledge pool, I may of course get bored and make stuff up to see if you are paying attention

I will provide a high tech car to car radio link, to keep you informed as we travel between interesting sites, as we will not have time to stop at all the sites , many of the places can be the point of a later tour, or you may wish to visit them yourself

afterwards anything that you were interested in and want to know about, I can forward you a google map of the locations, and a write up for further reading or to remind you of things you saw

At the end of the tour, if you are all still speaking, my A.D.C. will do a little auction for SSAFA, I will provide some good books, and also an item of special interest from my collection of old crap/very rare skip finds

wear good shoes or boots , a coat and hat in case it rains and sweets to chuck around when meeting yokel children

bring a torch , binos or monoscope , a camera or mobile phone thingy

black nasty , a sense of humour

a compass ( because some twat always wants to know which way North is )

lunch and breakfast stops are all flexible, a wide choice, you choose from cafes to pubs etc

not too much walking so fat gits like me can join us

weather dependent, hopefully it will be pleasant for the day , and you will return refreshed and informed

Friday 13th...
A tour of derelict sites....
What could possibly go wrong?

I would love to as this is my manor, but not sure that I can get that friday off....
Will check

WALT

LE
It's a trap!
He's going to take you to the Forest of Dean.
0_Q0lt3DpjCs5VUPDL.0.jpg

Due to the French Chaps not letting us visit them, many of you ,myself included have missed out on our annual get togethers, and walking tours

So it has been decided to organise such a tour, radiating from the small town of Cheltenham.

A lucky small select group will be entertained and educated, stimulated, and generally amused

if it works well I can organise future tours , and can run it into a second day, if not my A.D.C. Will deal with me

Fridays are the best day for me, and if a second day is requested we will run into the Saturday morning/ early afternoon , its going to be a full day though and a late finish to see everything

Our itinerary will feature , the Great War, the Second World War, the Cold War, and Gloucestershire's links to the aviation industry, plus some old shit that might interest you, it will start of with a brisk march around the town, pointing out various interesting things, and local weirdos, nutcases and falling down stuff.

Following that a return to the cars then a drive between sites of interest , some of which will be totally unexpected, and I hope rewarding, a bit of religious stuff, a visit to a historic dogging site, and bunkers, radio stations and secret stuff.

I have to limit it to two vehicles, as parking in some places is awkward, and many of the locals do not like large groups of people turning up, also by keeping it small my secret Cotswolds might stay secret

plus we can take one more car with up to 5 people, so perhaps a group could sort themselves out ?

For the first trip I will have in my front seat, a steely eyed dealer of death, ( he has let himself go a bit though, the fat knacker ! ) to ensure that everything runs along strict military lines, prod me when I nod off , and carry out the auction at the end ( military books and stuff) you can listen respectfully, or take the piss, and also feel free to add additional information and increase the knowledge pool, I may of course get bored and make stuff up to see if you are paying attention

I will provide a high tech car to car radio link, to keep you informed as we travel between interesting sites, as we will not have time to stop at all the sites , many of the places can be the point of a later tour, or you may wish to visit them yourself

afterwards anything that you were interested in and want to know about, I can forward you a google map of the locations, and a write up for further reading or to remind you of things you saw

At the end of the tour, if you are all still speaking, my A.D.C. will do a little auction for SSAFA, I will provide some good books, and also an item of special interest from my collection of old crap/very rare skip finds

wear good shoes or boots , a coat and hat in case it rains and sweets to chuck around when meeting yokel children

lunch and breakfast stops are all flexible, a wide choice, you choose from cafes to pubs etc

weather dependent, hopefully it will be pleasant for the day , and you will return refreshed and informed
Hi,
I will not be able to make it owing to work issues, I'm sorry. Would actually love to see some of this local history but the timing is off for me.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

In London that day but best wishes for the event

Slime

LE

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Went the day well
(a long day)
much was learnt
I also learnt that technology can be a bit rubbish in my hands
a bit more map use in future

A nice long day, covering four wars and two Counties
good grub
good company and a few surprises

it ended as the sun went down, at a very small and discreet and moving memorial , made more moving by the sight of an A400M outward bound to another war, and as we packed up the most emotional sound of all, the sound of freedom, as a Silver Spitfire like a sentinel from another age flew over our heads, its growling Merlin filling our ears for some time
and no I didnt arrange that, but to the Pilots of those aircraft a massive thank you

IMG_3189-001.JPG
IMG_3193-001.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have another booking in late October but no spaces
if any one wants another time November would be best as that is mostly free from work, and more things are visible without foliage

Regrettably I’m now too far away to make it viable but out of interest, anything around Wotton-under-Edge?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Regrettably I’m now too far away to make it viable but out of interest, anything around Wotton-under-Edge?
oddly there is much there, most of hidden away and off the beaten track, albeit not in the town itself
do you have transport ?
if not perhaps I could collect you in the batmobile and whizz you around a few interesting places