Glorious 1st June (1794)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Queensman, Jun 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 3
  1. Indeed it is - cheers! A toast tonight no doubt.

2. A toast indeed.

And one to HMS Bellerophon. She fought at the Glorious First, was with Nelson at the Nile and Trafalgar, and received Napoleon's surrender after his final defeat at Waterloo.

Ships of wood and men of iron.

3. Strangely enough I have a big picture (print) of the Glorious First of June on my study wall...I bought it at the Maritime Museum on a school trip in the early seventies.

[​IMG]

The colours look better on the print, rather than the e-version!

4. [​IMG]

Although this battle honour was celebrated quite rightly by the 1st Battalion it was still an important day in The Queen's Regiment - is it still celebrated within the PWRR today?

5. It is a Battle Honour for the 29th of Foot (WFR) as well. In 1794 the 29th Regiment (Worcestershire) were serving at sea. They took part in Admiral Howe’s famous victory at the Battle of Ushant on the Glorious First of June. They were awarded the naval crown in commemoration of their service.

This is carried forward into the Mercian Regiment on the Colours and drums.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Back in the day when HMS Excellent was still the Navy's gunnery school there wwere always mutual celebrations with the Queens, usually involving a cricket match and a dinner, alternately home and away. This celebrated a company of the Queens being embarked in Lord Howe's flagship HMS Queen Charlotte; this ship was later moored in Portsmouth Harbour for gunnery training and was renamed HMS Excellent. There is still a large model of Q.C. at Whale Island, in the lengthy process of being re-rigged following the October 1987 storm up to which time it was positioned in the open at the entrance to the Island.

7. When you say Study,do you mean downstairs toilet? :D

8. No I mean "tax-deductible home office" where I play Scrabble on-line. The downstairs loo is next door and it's where I keep my commission... :D

9. Greetings to all Arrsers on this the 217th anniversary of the Battle of the Glorious 1st June (1794).

Stand fast me lads, 'tis to glory we steer.

(See above for details!)

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Today in 1882 Giuseppe Garibaldi died aged 74, but he did leave his biscuit recipe

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed, Happy Glorious First to all, especially all serving and retired PWRR, Queen's, and Surreys.

Also my Wedding anniversary - very easy one to remember, thanks God :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

in 836 the Vikings burnt London on this day,

13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

One of the ship's captains was James Gambier - HMS Defence. A very religious man, he was known through the fleet as 'Preaching Jemmy'. Defence fought gallantly during the battle and was damaged. After the battle another captain, Thomas Pakenham (HMS Invincible) caused great amusement in the fleet by inspecting the damage to HMS Defence then bellowing "Jemmy, whom the Lord loveth, he chasteneth" across the water at Gambier.

Wordsmith

14. Not really "celebrated" in the Tigers but did have my mate from the "Vikings" phone me up and wished me well for the day. And all those that this day means something have a good day