Global warming?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldcolt, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The North pole is now as warm as it was 2000 years ago BBC ....a time when there were no cars or industrial polutants.... which kind of begs the question; is global warming simply a convenient lie to get us to pay more taxes? Discuss...

2. A lot of scientists believe that natural solar cycles are responsible, Earth has been heating up and cooling down since creation.

If man made gases are indeed responsible then it begs the question why are we being taxed to the hilt whilst at the same time forking out billions to polluters like India whose emissions are set to TREBLE by 2030?

3. Global warming and freezing is cyclic, and now gubments find the chance to screw the population with the "green tax".

4. I agree, with the caveat that I am all for reducing pollution as much as possible, purely from a health/ financial waste perspective

5. I'm sure Milsum will be along shortly to set us all straight :)

Meanwhile, in other news, the Arctic is looking to show less melt this summer than last summer, and even less than 2007. Three years does not make a trend, but I thought we were in a warming death-spiral?

The Sun may well throw a spanner in the works anyway:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/03sep_sunspots.htm?list49866

And last time THAT happened, it was called 'The Little Ice Age'.

6. 2,000 years ago the average temperature in the UK was a handful of degrees hotter than it was now. The Romans invaded because it was a very productive agricultural region…

Hmmm, lets see…

Were the Celts all driving around in cars? Nope

Did they have lots of power stations pumping out CO2? Nope

Was the Sun in the sky fairly active? Yep.

In the 1000's, the average temperature in the UK was a handful of degrees cooler than it is today and the winters were ferociosly harsh.

Were the Saxons all driving around in cars? Nope

Was the Sun in the sky fairly inactive? Yep.

In the 1200's, the average temperature in the UK was a handful of degrees warmer than it is today. The very long hot, dry Summers and mild winters allowed all that Cathedral building that swept Europe to be done.

Were the Anglo- Saxons all driving around in cars? Nope

In the 1600's, the average temperature in the UK was a handful of degrees cooler than it is today and the Thames froze to a depth of 6 feet for weeks on end and they held Ice Fairs on it.

Were the Elizabethans all driving around in cars? Nope

I wonder, does anyone see a pattern here?

7. From the original article, and adding to what Oil_Slick has said:

Arctic temperatures are now higher than at any time in the last 2,000 years, research reveals.

Changes to the Earth's orbit drove centuries of cooling, but temperatures rose fast in the last 100 years as human greenhouse gas emissions rose.

What else happened in the last 100 years? I know it's quoting from Wiki, but... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Sunspot_Numbers.svg

The nature of Solar cycles 15-23 (23 being the last maximum), were different from the previous cycles, being on average shorter, and of higher peak activity. Strangely enough, the change to a more active Sun happened at around the turn of the last century. Funny that, a more active Sun meaning a warmer world?

8. Stadials and inter stadial period's have been around since the beginning of earth, as have ice ages and so on. What's going on is just an acceleration of this process from what I understand so, in my opinion is a problem but nothing like on the scale that people like Al Gore make out. Although, it's a scare monger tactic that will ever go away, journalist's have made a whole new area for them to report on, academics have made something to investigate and so on, it's become a multi billion pound industry.

9. My point exactly, but that doesn't seem to be too popular with the tree huggers out there. It is, in fact, an inconvenient truth for them (see the clever play on the film name that I used there?) :roll:

10. Remember being shown a video showing the global warming types squirm and the defelect questions regarding the subject away. I can't get onto youtube, but if I remember rightly if you brought up Al Gore's inconvenient fabricated truth - then there'd be a counter arguement in the related links.