Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glimpses of "Reality" through Films, Books, News Media and so on.

No need to apologise @paddyplanty. As I say I think there is a strong possibility my original objective might only exist in my head.

Thats not too far from the mark actually.

I'll have another go at clarification. When I was at Combat Polytechnic (Dettingen Company) our Platoon Commander had a show reel of things he'd culled from popular films that were intended to make us think about Leadership. The only thing that I can remember from it was the sequence introducing 'Lootenant Dan' in Forrest Gump. I suppose if there is an ideal outcome for this thread we would have a sequence of things that you could show to a recruit that would demonstrate that for one thing he doesn't need to (and sometimes won't be able to) move like something out of a kung fu movie to still be contributing.

ETA Mundane but important as @Red Hander says.

Doesn't part of the famous archive film of the Panther tank in front of Koln cathedral have a bloke (looks like an old civvy in long dark coat) wandering across the street oblivious to US MG fire, you see a tracer go past before he looks over and makes with the legs.
If I get what you're after... war, unlike war films, people act different. You don't have a line of bullet spurts coming towards you - that's for cinematic narrative. In reality you may hear and feel them passing or even be unaware of them.
Funnily enough I remember staring at the ground in front of me once back from Afghanistan.

I've told people one of the best war film clips I've seen is from 'Three Kings' (1999) where there's an Iraqi on top of a berm and a guy asks 'shallI shoot him?' and another guy is complaining about having something in his eye. Just the absurd situations - funny and tragic at the same time.

The stoppage and the reaction to it in this video sort of fall into what I was thinking of.

The stoppage and the reaction to it in this video sort of fall into what I was thinking of.

Impressive video - I couldn't help wondering whether the content of the terrific speech at the end was influenced by the presence of a film crew.
Couldn't bear seeing at least six of them (plus the cameraman) bunched together like that after the enemy had been neutralized. Who knows what else could have been skulking among the scrub and tussocks all around.
A stoppage on a vehicle mounted MAG - unusual to say the least.

Last edited:
Impressive video - I couldn't help wondering whether the content of the terrific speech at the end was influenced by the presence of a film crew.
Couldn't bear seeing at least six of them (plus the cameraman) bunched together like that after the enemy had been neutralized. Who knows what could have been skulking among the scrub and tussocks all around.
A stoppage on a vehicle mounted MAG - unusual to say the least.

First seen in the 2REP thread.

ETA Had a quick look but can only find a second posting of it. I think the first was by @Condottiere

Last edited:
This has appeared here many times I'm sure. The relative calmness of the SBS IC is impressive.

Latest Threads