Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Ralf, Jun 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got any info on Basic Gliding courses. Used to do the courses at Bicester but rumours that it is not no more!!
    Where and how does one get on the courses as it is not in any of the DCI's?
  2. I have a funny feeling you might get a better response on the forum for Adventure Training.
  3. Sorry its my first day at school and Im just finding my feet. Thanks for your help just looking now.
  4. Good luck.

And, don't crash.
  5. Quite correct, the airfield part of RAF Bicester closed and reverted to DE in July 2004. Current users are the Windrushers Gliding Club, who now lease and fly from the old RAFGSA hanger and airfield.

The RAF Gliding and Soaring Association (RAFGSA) were finally 'persuaded' to move 8O and are now at RAF Halton. As to courses etc the link goes to their site which has full course and booking details.

Have fun :wink:
  6. Just had a more indepth look at the link I posted and saw this at the bottom of the page under 'Ground equipment'!!!

7. Thanks Lord Flasheart and Snapper you have been most helpful.......Thanks again!
    So where does that bus go to !!!!!!!!
  8. Further tips for ya, Ralf
    Basic Flying Rules:
    1. Try to stay in the middle of the air.
    2. Do not go near the edges of it.
    3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.
  9. Very good gliding club/school run on the airfield opposite Trenchard Lines each weekend. I'm sure they'd be happy to help.
  10. As a member there, just pop along any weekend and most wednesday afternoons. You'll be made to feel welcome, and we'll get you flying with an instructor on the day!

And for anyone else considering the sport... a launch will cost you just £3.50!!!!! with 10 minutes of soaring included. Come and give it a try.

The club is desperate to recruit new military members, especially those below Cpl, and there is a number of schemes available for Cpls and below, which could pay for most of the flying to solo for next to nothing....what have you too loose??? :D
  11. Not long joined Wyvern club at Upavon did one of the courses and had a tremendous time. Cheap and cheerfull and you get to hurl around Wiltshire as long as you avoid all those dreadfull types in their flying eggbeaters......sorry whats that ? Oh this is their forum....oops !

By the way if you went to The so called national soaring centre at Lasham they would sting you 65 ! quid for a cabby. !
  12. What aircraft are the Army GA operating?

Mind you , my first trip was in a Sedbergh back in 19-depressing :(
  13. Heres the current fleet at Upavon:

K21's x 2
    LS8 (15/18 )
    and a DG1000 (new arrived May 05)
  14. The Wyvern clubhouse has seen some good post-glide parties, too!