Glider pilots at Arnhem

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by fan bat, Nov 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys i am in the middle of watching A bridge to far and was just a wondering if any of you know what the Glider pilots did once they had landed? Did they go on with the advancing forces or get picked up some where?

Chalkie

2. They sayed with the troops and fought as infantry,medics,artillery you name it they done it then on the withdrawal to the rhine they marked the route out and manned it with guides.

3. Thanks, what were they badged as? AAC, Inf and I'm assuming that they didn't wear maroon berets

Chalkie

4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

They were Glider Pilot Regiment which, I assume, got subsumed into the AAC.

www.gliderpilotregiment.org.uk

5. From the AAC Museum's website The Museum of Army Flying: Glider Pilot

If you want to know how nails a Glider Pilot was at Arnhem, ask Porridge_Gun.

6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Warriors to a man.

The Glider pilots Regiment flew engineless, dangerous, craply put together piles of scrap timber directly to the battlefield, look at Pegasus Bridge.

Many armed with just pistols joined in the rest of the conflict on foot.

I was privileged to meet an ex GPR (NCO)pilot who flew in on the thrid day with the Polish. When he looked over his shoulder he realised they'd all be killed by ground fire. Instead of taking up space on a makeshift landing strip (ie a field near Oosterbeek) he drove and crash landed his shattered airframe into a nearby forest leaving a clear path for those following him.

He earned himself a DFC that day and went on to fight with the ground forces, as we know, like lions.

Its an absolute honour and a privelidge for my old cap badge to have the Glider Pilot Regiments battle honours on our Guidon.

If anyone has never made the pilgrimage to Oosterbeek, the Bridge and of course Hartenstein, stick it on your must do list. 23 years since my first visit and it never gets boring. I defy anyone to go there and not come away with a tear in your eye and a bit of a chubby on at the thought of being British.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Op Broadway, second Chindit Expedition, also 1944, saw many brave Glider pilots lose their lives many of whom were US ( Air Commando) delivering troops into partially cleared jungle landing areas. Those that survived went on to make many return trips delivering additional troops and supplies over the next few months. It was a fantastic example of joint operations carried out by multi-national forces in the most difficult of terrain.

Attached Files:

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

The ultimate though is Pegasus Bridge. When you see what they had to land on, in the dark and with no margin for error (the first British casualty on that Op drowned) it is astonishing. Very brave certainly but also technically excellent and professional in the extreme.

9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

[​IMG]

That painting, I think sums up the sizes of their testes.

No homosexual, dropping them off five miles away and let them tab in. Nope, 'we'll try and land on the bridge' and moustaches like the ones below saw the Ox and Bucks delivered with UPS and DHL precison straight to the Bosches front door, so they could be given a damn good thrashing.

[​IMG]

Never in the field of human conflict have moustaches made such a difference to operations.

Find me a brave man and you will find a moustache that could engulf a small child, and not in a dirty way!

• Like Like x 10
  10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

Well said sir. I saw that picture on Wikipedia and thought exactly the same thing.

11. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

12. Ive done quite a bit of reading on the chindit ops and wasnt aware of british glider pilot regiment flying into any of the landing sites on OP THURSDAY as far as im aware all the gliders were flown by 1 AIR COMMANDO,gliders only flew in on the initial lifts then dakota strips were constructed for the further waves.

Porridge gun views on that?

13. They wore maroon berets being airborne and as stated were glider pilot regiment part of the AAC.