Glider Pilots at Arnhem

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by CAARPS, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know I have posted this in the book club (before the bitching starts), however, due to the subject matter of the book, I thought it would be appropriate to double post here.

I have recently come across this book and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in the events of Operation MARKET.

The Authors are Maj Mike Peters AAC who I believe is still serving and Luuk Buist a Dutch civilian who comes from Arnhem and has spent years researching the battle and interviewing survivors.

The book tells the story of the operation through the eyes of the pilots (and others) that fought the length and breadth of the battlefield embedded into or fighting alongside every unit represented.

It also provides an insight to GPR training and ethos and has some good technical detail on establishments and manifests as well as listing the casualties, POW and a list of all members of the Regt who received an award.

In my opinion a mighty fine read, has anyone else read it, if so thoughts?
  2. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll certainly be buying it.
  3. I remember the old Lt Col at Wallop late 70's who had come up through the ranks. He had stared as a Glider Pilot and post war converted to Austers then Rotary wing.
    Did Empire Test Pilots School and was said to be Senior to the Chief Flying Instructor.
    Came down First line, Gazelle Conversion Flt and in one test fight sorted out a problem that had Baffled one and ALL, Flying side and Tech's.
    Saved my Bacon.
  4. If this title is not in the JHQ library, then I will definately recommend that they get a copy. Thanks for the tip.
  5. A trip to Ian Allens called for this afternoon
  6. Another book worth reading on this topic is " History of the Glider Pilot Regiment " by Claude Smith . There is a chapter about Arnhem .
    Contains a Roll of Honour for the Regiment as an appendix
  7. Unless the poster made a slip up. The operation was called MARKET GARDEN.

The pilots were all of the Glider Pilot Regiment but had parent regiments.

Another book was called "The Lion with Blue Wings," and yet another about General Urqhart but the name of it is lost in the mist of my mind. I'd take a bet that Google would find it though.
  8. No Caaarps is correct, Operation Market was the Airborne side of it.
  9. I have recently finished the book and I can’t recommend it enough, absoloutly superb.

As said above the Airborne part of the operation was MARKET. XXX Corps land based efforts was the GARDEN element of the operation.

The Glider pilots where a Regiment in their own right and at the time of Arnehm had a Regimental HQ and 2 Flying wings. No 1 Wing with A, B, D & G Sqns and No 2 Wing with C, E & F Sqns.

You are right in saying that the pilots did volunteer from other parts of the army, hwever they transferred to the Regt wore their own Glider Pilot cap badge and maroon Beret and where part of the wider Army Air Corps.

The Regt consisted in the main of Officers, Warrant Officers and SNCO’s. and were trained as the ‘Total Soldier’ trained in a wide variety of weapons and other skills. They also had to be able to operate/use whatever cargo they where carrying.

This gave them their wide utility & usefulness on the battle field once on the ground as they could be deployed wherever there was a need, this is in stark contrast to the US counterparts whom Maj Gen Gavin (Comd 82nd Airborne) considered a liability once on the ground.
  10. The books great, Luuk is a smashing guy, helped me out a little on my tome.
  11. My uncle was a member of the British Glider Pilot Regiment and was a part of the unit after landing then back for next project. He gave all of his records and medals to his first wife when they divorced (makes no sense) so looking for his records. He was Sgt. Eric Alan Taylor, went on to be the Historic Art Director for the government in London till retirement then took up making violins, violas and cellos. Married an ambassador's daughter and their daughter became a prima ballerina for the Royal Swedish Ballet, now has her own scholl of ballet in London. Trying also to trace which area he he was involved in.