Glider Pilot Regiment Memorial - Shobdon

Definitely the 11th September at 11am
I got another email today confirming Sunday the 7th August from Mr Simpkins. I'm collecting two old boys (1x GPR, 1x RHChelsea) to take them.

I'll go back to Andrew as there is a month apart from these conflicting dates.

Last edited:

haloman

Old-Salt
I got another email today confirming Sunday the 7th August from Mr Simpkins. I'm collecting two old boys (1x GPR, 1x RHChelsea) to take them.

I'll go back to Andrew as there is a month apart from these conflicting dates.
I don't know where your emails are coming from but it is definitely the 11th September. I am one of the two organisers and have been working on the project all day laying concrete.
Please rest assured that it is the 11th Sept.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

haloman

Old-Salt
A quick update on the project,

The memorial is now finished. The monolith is in place, the plinth complete and the memorial plaque is installed. The three flagpole bases have been concreted in and the poles will be erected this weekend. We have also laid 52 metres of concrete pathway from the main car park past the memorial so anyone coming in from the car park will have to pass the memorial. There will be story boards beside the pathway leading up to the memorial.
The memorial has come in on time and on budget. We are now fundraising to put in some landscaping around the site.
We are very pleased with the finished result but our fingers are crossed that the GPRA veterans and our guests will also be pleased!
The unveiling will be on the 11th September at Shobdon Airfield. I will post pictures after the event. A taster may be seen on Facebook - Shobdon Airfield Memorial.

Chef

LE
Congratulations on getting the memorial finished. It is good that these times and people are remembered.

But the really impressive bit is this:

'The memorial has come in on time and on budget.'

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Congratulations on getting the memorial finished. It is good that these times and people are remembered.

But the really impressive bit is this:

'The memorial has come in on time and on budget.'
No government departments were involved in the tender or finances.

Looking forward to seeing it in all its glory on the 11th.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We could use these blokes in Procurement.

Please bring shovel.

A great day, the weather was perfect. Thank you @haloman and the other organisers for all your hard work both on the memorial and for the day itself, and thanks to all those who attended, it was a great turnout.

IMAG1789.jpg
IMAG1787.jpg

haloman

Old-Salt
Many thanks @CrashTestDummy for your kind comments. I suppose that considering everything was a bit off-the-cuff, it all went pretty well. There were a few 'fingers crossed' moments but overall we were very pleased that everything went as well as it did. Glad you had a nice day at Shobdon.

Latest Threads