• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Glenton, Out and Talkative......

Just received this from a newsfeed:

On the 12th of July Lance Corporal Joe Glenton was released from prison after having gone absent without official leave for refusing to fight in Afghanistan. Stop the War Coalition have organised a rally on the 26th of July where he will speak along with MP Caroline Lucas amongst other MPs who are still to be confirmed.

Here is a brief outline of the rally ...
Rally Monday 26 July 7pm
Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London, WC1R 4RL
Speakers include: Lance Corporal Joe Glenton, just released from prison following his court martial for refusing to fight in Afghanistan, ex-soldier Ross Williams, jailed in 2008 for refusing to fight in Iraq, Caroline Lucas MP and other MPs. More speakers TBA.
The war in Afghanistan is in crisis. The strategy for the US-led occupation is crumbling. Violence is increasing, with deaths of Afghan civilians and Nato troops at higher levels than at any time since 2001. But the ConLib coalition government continues to send troops to kill and die in a war that has no purpose and is being lost, ignoring the two thirds majority of people in Britain who want them brought home now.
Organised by Stop the War Coalition
Please note that this is not an invitation to go and do anything daft, just underlining what an utter ^&%$** this bloke really is!

What's the problem, broke the law paid the price and now the slate is clean. Good for him if he is sticking to his principles.
I thought Arrsers problems with him that he didn't have any principles ? He came out with the conchie argument when he got kicked out of Australia ?

Bugger, I thought this was 'out-of-the-closet' type 'out'. Still, I imagine he got plenty of that from the vast numbers of squaddies that are supposed to be in UK jails.

ugly

LE
I listened to him in the traffic today and whilst I dont hate him (loadss of lads were awol in my time) his attempt to blame it on his broken family and recruitment as an economic recruit doesnt wash, most of my intake were in the same boat only we didnt get ptsd delivering coffins using a fork lift in a big air base where no **** was aiming at him personally. so am I bothered? should I get on my high horse or be sympathetic? None of the former as you cant join with your eyes closed.

I listened to him in the traffic today and whilst I dont hate him (loadss of lads were awol in my time) his attempt to blame it on his broken family and recruitment as an economic recruit doesnt wash, most of my intake were in the same boat only we didnt get ptsd delivering coffins using a fork lift in a big air base where no **** was aiming at him personally. so am I bothered? should I get on my high horse or be sympathetic? None of the former as you cant join with your eyes closed.
Sums up my thoughts too.

I've just listened to the radio broadcast:

Of his parents Glenton says, "They weren't Hippies they were really pragmatic people"????? That makes no sense! All he does throughout the interview is say words he clearly has no understanding of. It's like David Brent and his 'management speak'.

What is great is that Michael Burke has not let this be a way out for Glenton. I think he (Burke) is utterly sceptical throughout and highlights the complete flaws in Glenton's cowardice.

Shuffling ammo in Khandahar and delivering empty coffins in an FLRT? Give me a break!!!

A few quotes:

Glenton: "I would wake up dreaming about the [empty] coffins" (Jesus wept, this guy's priceless!)

Burke: "Running away is the, kind of, antithesis of a soldier's values isn't it?"
Glenton: "In a sense but, I mean, I'd say that I was running towards something rather than away from something". (Burke was clearly fishing here).

This bloke's stock is going down, he was only really of use as a serving squaddie 'martyr' figure; not particularly bright, with some retrospective bolt-on principles for his self-serving actions. Joe who?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Heard that myself this am after inadvertantly suffering Nolan for a couple of minutes by mistake. By the time he was finished Ihtought even less of him than I did when he started. If he could have come up with something which sounded genuine and honest instead of what he managed it may have helped. He blames everyone else but himself, he should go down a storm in academic life. I doubt Michael Buerke was impressed, he didn't sound it.

Latest Threads