Glenn Miller, soldier, entertainer, spy??

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Run_Charlie!, Apr 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.skygaze.com/content/mysteries/GlennMiller.shtml

Anyone familiar with these rumours? What do you think?

2. absolute rubbish but okay for tinfoil hat wearers

3. All very well but Millar's plane was found and positively identified - by private individuals. So conspiracy theories are out the window.

4. Gday. Do you have any details of the finding of Glen Miller's plane. I thought it was lost over the English Channel.

5. also new on me never knew plane had been found.....last heard they thought a returning british bomber had dropped its bomb load before landing on millers plane....by mistake ,,,,

6. Some years ago I read a report said to have been written by a South African serving with the Royal Air Force. He gave dates, times etc, and it sounded authentic but I have never known how true it might have been.

He said the bomber, of which he was a crew member, unloaded its bombs over the Channel, and they observed a flash from something below them. the flash was reckoned to be one of their bombs detonating in he air.

Later he read of Glen Miller's plane being lost over the Channel and realised it was about the right place for one of his own bombs to have hit it.

7. Yup - that's what I heard - think a likely wreck was identified close to French coast (Bay of Biscay?) roughly on the route of returning Bomber streams - where they dropped any unused bombs. :?:

8. I don't have any links but from memory: a private individual embarked on a survey of a potential site. He had evidence from US Bomber crews who had been dumping bombs after an abortive mission in an area reserved for that activity. Several of the airmen saw a particular type of single engine plane - some knew it because they had trained on it but it was a rare sight in the UK apparantly.

Anyway, they found the wreck, almost totally corroded away. All that was identifiable was the rotary engine (is that the right term) and the undercarriage. The only legible markings they could find were on an undercarriage strut and from those were able to conclude beyond doubt (from maintenance records) that the wreckage was that of Glen Millar's plane and that the likely cause of the crash was that it had a load of bombs dropped on it by US aircraft.

9. well good at least we didnt get him,,,will have to look into this further,,,,,

10. My recollection was that (ironically) the bombers who were dumping because of poor visibility were US or Canadian. The Norseman plane (that's what it was called) which Miller was in had strayed into the danger zone but was flying at a much lower altitude. I don't remember the witnesses talking about explosions. From memory they seemed to think the smaller plane was simply knocked out of the sky by one or more falling bombs.

11. The reporting of the South African's version of it was in a South African popular magazine, and I have often wondered at how reliable it was. Thanks for answering that one.

12. I've done a wee bit of reading now. The bombers who were dumping were RAF Lancs but some of the crewmen were RCAF. They positively identified the type of plane - a Norseman. I can't find any conclusive evidence that the plane's wreckage has been identified but the site exists and has been surveyed. My memory tells me it was positively identified by a number stamped into an undercarriage strut because the remainder of the plane was too corroded to get anything identifiable. That includes the engine. The wreckage is almost totally disintegrated.

13. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

There was a TV program on not so long back about this and matches the bomb story they carried out a lot of underwater investigation and TV footage which showed the plane's engine

14. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

If you ever have a chance to dive on a WWII aircraft wreck in cold northern waters you will be shocked how little remains.

Having dived around the Isle of Wight for many years I have dived on known aircraft wrecks as well as stumbling across a couple. In general you find, if you are lucky, a roughly rectangular lump sticking out of the sea bed at an angle but so covered in marine deposits and life that you cannot be sure what it is....this is the engine block. More usually the engine block sinks into the seabed and you don't even see this.

Occasionally there are one or two long encrusted things lying on the se bed or sticking out of the gravel......there are the undercarriage hydraulic legs.

Usually you just find a concentrated area of badly eroded ammunition cases. It may be an aircraft wreck, it may be a case of .303 dumped overboard or even just the scatterings from an exercise.

The sea bed is covered in .303 and 20mm all along the English channel, you can come back from a drift dive with pocket full of the crap. On the next dive you see none.