Glencorse Experience

Ey up guys,

earlier this year in April I have passed Selection in Glencorse with Grade A. Before I went I found it helpful to read about experiences of other people, so I thought I'd share mine too. I don't think I'll be able to answer any questions or anything as I am going to Phase 1 soon, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

Day 1 (Monday), this was mostly like an admin day. We were picked up from the train station at 7pm. Some lads were returning to do one or more of the tests, or just the medical. We chatted during the bus ride and were asked what regiment we want to join for the first time (we were asked this few times each day by different people). On arrival we were taken to the presentation room, given a presentation about the Selection and did the ice breaker. In our case it was to stand up and say our name, age, what regiment we want to join and what our family thinks of it. We were also encouraged to share a funny story or a joke.

Then we signed some paperwork, went up to our rooms and finished some more forms. That was all for the day though. There was no set time we had to go to sleep or anything, ended up chatting with the lads into AM hours.

Day 2 (Tuesday), nice and early wake up at 0530, get showered, put on some clothes and bring down the forms and all of our ID and education documents. Before breakfast we went to the medical centre to give the admin people our documents. After breakfast we spent most of the day there. I was lucky to be towards the end of the numerical order, so I was part of a group of four that they took to do the jerry can walk and power bag lift while others waited to do the medical stuff.

First we did the power bag, which was tricky as we had to follow a specific technique. It started from 15kg and went up. I only struggled with the last 40kg one, didn’t manage it on the first go but I did get it up to the platform on the second go (they said we had two tries on each bag). The staff and lads were good encouragement. The jerry can walk was inside a gym, we had to talk 30m five times, but on the last one we went 15m there and back (to finish on the same line we started). It was easier than I thought; the pace was just regular walking pace and only on the very last 15m my left hand started to slip but I was able to hold on. With that done we went to do the ACT test. After the ACT some lads who were going for technical roles also did another math test. When it was finished we went back to the medical centre.

If I recall right, we did the hearing test first (listen to beeps, press a button when you hear it). Then eye test, breath test, colour blind test and BMI measurement. All of it was straight forward. I was asked to do the breath thing twice as the nurse thought I might have done it wrong as I moved the dial quite high both times (around 700). Then I did the heart measurement, you just lie there while they stick some cables on you and see if your heart works fine. Between all of these tests there was plenty of waiting around, but we did have the TV on and a guy from the Army to talk to (Role Model they called him). At some point we went for a lunch too.

The last thing was the GP check. The GP checked everything, from eyes to ears to joints and how you walk in different ways. Then we went over my medical history and the medical questionnaire that we had to fill in during waiting. The GP will be able to tell you if everything is okay or not. They told us the GP decision again later where they also gave us a letter to confirm it. The nurses will explain what you need to do if you get deferred or fail the medical. Some things can’t be avoided I suppose, but few lads had fails and deferments for kinda obvious things, like their BMI was too high or their eyesight was below the requirements and they didn’t wear glasses (just go to an optician for a test before you go, many places offer them for free or at least cheap).

After the medical we had dinner and some more presentations about Phase 1. Then the rest of the day was ours. I went to the TV room and watched a film on the TV, chatted with the lads later and then got shower and shaved before sleep (you won’t have much time to shave in the morning).

Day 3 (Wednesday), wake up again at 0530, quick shower and put on running gear. We went to get breakfast first before being sent back to put on coveralls and helmet (that we were given the previous day). The first thing was warm up and then the grenade throw. Straight forward task, just listen to the instructions and follow them. It is not complicated and at no point they said they cared about accuracy of the throw (I didn't hit the target).

The team tasks were next. We were separated into two groups for this; there were three obstacle courses to do. For each one they explained the scenario, gave us few minutes to come up with a plan and then one person explained it. I’d advise if you get asked about who does what, just make a decision and don’t stand there saying you don’t know, don’t care or that people should go in numerical order. We had 10 minutes to do each task. Its not long, but I think just enough to complete each of them if you don’t have to restart half way through.

My group finished two of them (one of those with 2 seconds spare). The first one we had to restart half way. The tasks were not hard, it was just about keeping everyone moving and communication. I was told I scored the second highest in my team. I tried to encourage people, tell them what I am doing or what I want them to do and reminded people to keep moving. For one task I was also explaining our plan to the staff. Basically I tried to be involved with what we were doing and show some leadership.

The run was last. We couldn’t use the train track route due to some works on some tunnel, so we ran laps around a parade square; six laps in total. We did one lap at jogging pace to warm up and then off we were. I was among the slower ones, some lads run like crazy but I did manage to keep a steady pace and not burn myself out. Some lads resulted to walking at parts because they didn’t pace themselves (I dont think they failed automatically, but their times were bad). Everyone had to finish, even when the last person was more or less walking the last lap. They won’t tell you the run time until the interview; mine was 10:56 which I was quite pleased with; it was well below the required time for RAC.

After the run we returned the dirty coveralls and helmets (we did take those off before the run) and were sent upstairs to shower, change to smart clothes and pack everything. We did also have to strip the beds and make them ready like when we arrived. We waited in the presentation room for the interviews. They took us one by one, mix of Army and civilian people. I was taken by a Major who was a really sound guy. He mentioned my report from Westbury (I did the Officer Briefing before changing to Soldier) and then went over the Selection results. He also asked some obvious things, like what regiment I want to join, what I know about Phase 1 and Phase 2 and things about me, like my current job and hobbies. And also some questions I didn’t expect, but overall it was pretty good interview and we had a good laugh about some things. He gave me my final result and then I was sent to a waiting room.

We had lunch, given lunch bags and one last presentation before taking the bus back to the train station. We finished well early, like before 3pm, so we went to spoons for some drinks and more food. Overall it was a pretty good experience. Best thing I’d say was meeting all the guys. Maybe I was lucky and just happened to get a good group, but everyone was solid and supportive; we still keep in touch now.


Is there no any lesson/brifing on the beginning of selection about some topic where they test candidates memory how much they remember of this lesson by writing a test next day?