Glaswegian Valentines present idea!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by oldmuso, Feb 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been emailed this ...... presume it's handed over to the nearest and dearest with a 'Glasgow kiss' :wink:

Only in Glasgow!! ...
    Spotted this cheeky little gift set in Haddows, Copland Road, Govan last night - the guy at the
    counter says they sell like hot cakes!
    A bottle of Buckfast, 20 Mayfair and a packet of skins - you couldn't make it up! BUCKY GIFT
    PACK ONLY 9.08

[​IMG]

2. I now have my 19 yr old nephew's birthday pressie sorted! :D

3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Great will have to take a trip out thee to have a look

4. Remember when Buckfast was banned ??

5. they are such romantics.

6. I remember my first trip to Edinburgh for some work thing,
    stepped out of the taxi at the hotel and lying on the pavement was a tramp who had piissed himself unconscious holding a bottle of buckfast, you couldn't make it up!

Welcome to Scotland!

7. Can someone explain what Buckfast is?

Yes I am a southern jessie.

8. It's made in the south.... albeit not necessarily in the 'jessie region'.

Basically a cheap way for winos and chavs to get pissed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

And got to love this site.... taste testing wine fit for bums... :lol:

http://www.bumwine.com

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It is that fortified wine brewed by the Monks of Buckfast in Devon, which is pretty far saff, yet is used as a life support system by some jakies in Scotland, notably in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee.

Please see line for more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

It is similar to Sanatogen.

And before Biscuit_broken starts again I know quite a lot about wines as a former manager of a wine off licence shop.

10. Buckfast Tonic Wine, commonly known as Buckfast or Buckie, is a fortified wine produced by Buckfast Abbey in Devon, south west England. The wine was first produced in 1890s by the Benedictine monks at Buckfast Abbey using a recipe brought over from France, as indeed is the wine base used today.
    The wine was originally sold in small quantities by the Abbey itself, as a medicine with the slogan "Three small glasses a day, for good health and lively blood". In 1927 the Abbey lost its licence to sell wine, as a result of which the Abbot signed a deal with wine merchants to distribute the wine on the Abbey's behalf. At the same time, the recipe was changed in order for the wine to appeal to a wider customer base, resulting in increased sales. The modern bottle carries a notice that it does not in fact have tonic properties of the type claimed in the former slogan.
    In recent times, Buckfast has achieved a surprising level of popularity within working class and bohemian communities in certain parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Buckfast sold in the Republic of Ireland has a slightly lower alcoholic strength, arrives in a darker bottle, and lacks the vanillin flavouring of the UK version.
    Aside from 'Buckie', other nicknames include 'tonic', 'commotion lotion' and 'wreck-the-hoose juice'.[1]. Statistics record that Lanarkshire accounts for around 10% of worldwide sales, with exports chiefly to Spain, Australia and the Caribbean.[2].

Buckfast - the whole story! Click here

edited to add: too slow in my response :oops:

11. Many thanks.

Must dash out to buy a bottle for Mrs Purple_Signaller.

12. That branch of Haddows were selling the same set in the back end of 2007, as I recall. By all accounts it started after someone asked them to make a couple up as presents for work colleagues, but once word got about and more and more people started asking for them, they kept on making them. Got the Daily Record outrage bus redlining!

13. Cant think why, surely they share the same demographic target.... Would have thought most of the Daily Record's readership would have been familiar with 'Buckie', and/or 'Mad Dog' or their ilk.

14. All familiar for definate, but i remember there were one or two of the older readers ranting about responsible drinking, and advocating drug usage. I think the rest probably used the paper as a mat to roll up on.

15. There can be no doubt that the Jocks are expert in the consumption of Buckie.

For real dedication however I commend the populace of Lurgan, Norn Iron to you.

C Coy R Irish (V) used to have a "Pilgramage to Buckfast Abbey" as their day out at Annual Camp. Good lads they were too.

My local offie used to sell three kinds of wine - Buckfast, Known as "Lurgan Champagne", Thunderbird, known as "Rocket Fuel" and a quality liebfraumilch with a screw off top. Of all three Buckie was by far the most popular.