Glastonbury 2022

Sheesh. A bunch of near geriatrics moaning about the yoof of today. Whoodathunkit.

Reduced to stupid bollox like "ha, vegans go to dairy farm. Fackin hypocrites". Maybe they shouldn't go to a hospital as they cook meat there.

I know younger people who go there and it is one of the best parts of the year for them. If they want to spend a few days rolling around in someone else's urine whilst getting salmonella poisoning then good luck to them. What's wrong with getting off your tits and listening to music. My daughter and her punk/goff/indy/metalhead mates used to go to Reading and they loved it.

I would rather poke my eyes out with knitting needles than go to Glasto but it ain't intended for me. I went to all the free concerts in Hyde Park in the sixties but decided that I was not a big fan of mass events/festivals. I much prefer small venues with clean toilets, decent beer and loud music. Most of the music at Glasto is shite anyway.

Sheesh. A bunch of near geriatrics moaning about the yoof of today. Whoodathunkit.
Old enough to know that many of the festival goers of today will look back on their Glastonbury attendances in years to come and say, "Farking hell, what were we thinking?".... unless, of course, they become middle aged, middle class, suburban hippies.

You might think that those pictures portray a vision of Hell (to some) but a certain Greta is getting up on the stage to give another speech on how we are all destroying the planet and so on. Now that will make it Hell.

(Wonder how she got there? Walked on water? Will they turn off the diesel generators for the amps? Will they all be good after this and pick up their rubbish and tents and take them to a recycling centre?)

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Glastonbury would be my idea of hell because I don't like crowds. I much prefer a small pub and a band or singer. Ralph McTell does a superb concert and was lucky enough to see him at Laugharne a few years ago when he played in the village hall, especially poignant because our neighbour and friend went with us. Like me she was a big fan of his and unbeknown to us she was shortly to pass away so it is a treasured memory. If anyone likes bittersweet guitar-based folk music then he's touring again soon. I've only seen him at the above-mentioned venue but have watched him on screen playing the Albert Hall and he is equally at home playing to thousands as he is to a hundred. Like the old Fast Show (I think) sketch there is an awful lot more to his repetoire than "Streets of London" which he introduces as one from his greatest hits album.

Ragsy who was on The Voice is another superb singer/songwriter. I've been to see him a couple of times locally, most recently pre-Covid when he played at the National Botanic Gardens. They neglected to advertise it so he played to about 15 people and it was brilliant. He had a drink with us afterwards and I apologised on behalf of the Gardens as I used to work there and told him that from my own experience they couldn't organise a bunk up in a brothel.* He said he couldn't give a monkeys as they still had to pay him £400.

He told us that being mentored by Tom Jones on The Voice was inspirational. Some time after the filming he rang Tom up and asked for some advice on how to progress with his career. Tom's wisdom was "Just keep doing what you're doing boy" and that was it. I never watched TheVoice but saw him playing in the beer tent at a local National Front, sorry, I mean Trust, stately home. He was the last of four solo acts to go on stage and he had a hard act to follow as they were all excellent. He introduced himself as having been on TV and came across as a chopsy Valleys boy but then swept everyone away when he started playing. Again he had a drink with us afterwards and was very down to earth, not at all as he appeared on stage. It always saddens and amazes me that somebody like him with so much talent is virtually unrecognised compared with the mainstream dross that is fed to us in the name of entertainment.

*Halloween one year when I was working there, the marketing department ordered in about 10 pallets of pumpkins for the Halloween weekend so kids could make the lantern things. Some genius ordered them for the Monday after the Halloween weekend so no pumpkins, tearful children and irate parents having a go at the catering staff including myself.

On Monday the world's supply of pumkins arrived. The head of marketing flounced down to the kitchen to be greeted by the head chef (think a female, diminutive Gordon Ramsay who was like a Jack Russel on crack if you p1ssed her off).

Head Chef: "What I am going to do with two tons of pumkins?"

Marketing Genius: "Well, make soup out of them".

Head Chef: "Make soup. MAKE SOUP! MAKE FCUKING SOUP!!!!! We'll be serving pumpkin fcucking soup until next Easter!"

And we were. I took loads home, gave some to neighbours and put the rest on top of the kitchen top units where they lasted for months, although I don't want to eat another pumpkin based curry ever. The ones left at work which weren't frozen were covered up with tarps and rotted within a week. So take note in case you unexpectedly come into possession of a load of pumpkins. Or work at the National Botanic Gardens of Wales.

Issi

LE
Bruce Dickinsons take -

“In the days when Glasto was an alternative festival it was quite interesting,” he said (via The Telegraph). “Now it’s the most bourgeois thing on the planet. Anywhere Gwyneth Paltrow [the actress] goes and you can live in an air-conditioned yurt is not for me.”

He’s just paraphrased my comments from Pg1!

Konstabel_Els

Old-Salt
Mrs Els has just told me that she read in the newspaper (Telegraph so it must be true on two counts) that Glastonbury is not about music but about friendship.

Well, I needn't go then.

Blogg

LE
Yep. await the 'after' scenes with abandoned tents, sleeping bags, and ten thousand tons of rubbish just strewn about.
I thought young people were supposed to be 'environmentally aware'?

Young? Have you seen the state of the crowds? A lot of the middle aged middle classes.

And as for the eco bit, world class greenwash at work here.

Mate who did Sparky stuff there told me that over 30MW worth of diesel generation capacity was on site. But that was OK 'cos it was the veggie diesel stuff so that's OK innit.

Oh and don't mention the big RV's and trailers with their own sets

TractorStats

War Hero
Young? Have you seen the state of the crowds? A lot of the middle aged middle classes.

Mate who did Sparky stuff there told me that over 30MW worth of diesel generation capacity was on site. But that was OK 'cos it was the veggie diesel stuff so that's OK innit.

Wife has just pointed out Greta Thunberg is there. Now that's definitely greenwash.

Wonder what mode of travel she used?

Bruce Dickinsons take -

“In the days when Glasto was an alternative festival it was quite interesting,” he said (via The Telegraph). “Now it’s the most bourgeois thing on the planet. Anywhere Gwyneth Paltrow [the actress] goes and you can live in an air-conditioned yurt is not for me.”

And yet

Although it doesnt say that Gwyneth Paltrow will be there.

You don't think all the rich ******* experiencing "Glasto" will be sleeping in the pleps field?

that's the only way I'd entertain going there.

when all my mates starting going in the 90s the idea of spending a week away from a shower or a proper lavvy made my skin crawl.

It`s a strange place.... It's hotting up at Glastonbury! Festivalgoers don sexiest outfits

59442483-10946521-image-a-12_1656003196374.jpg

59439651-10946521-image-a-131_1655998556903.jpg

59440369-10946521-image-m-157_1655999474458.jpg

59431815-10945169-image-a-70_1655994095381.jpg
Phwoar I'd ride that like a stolen mobility scooter...

Not forgetting the acres of abandoned tentage and assorted paraphernalia.

"But it's like ok yah, because like it's all gathered up and recycled yah so it's actually like saving the planet."

No it isn't Tarquin, it's treated as hazardous biowaste due to it being covered in just about every fluid the human body can excrete.
It can't be recycled.

I never did Glastonbury, it is too far away but did Kendal Calling many times, as I did with the Wickerman Festival in Scotland (was there on the first year too!). Ive also done Fesival Number 6 at Portmerion in it's first year.
We used to take the kids to them as a holiday (and cost me a bloody fortune!).
Some we paid for yurts, posh fields etc. and others we slummed it in the 'family' fields.
I can't say I enjoyed them much due to p*ss pooor organisation (Festival Number 6 had the car park 5 miles away and you had to be bussed in. Trying to get a families worth of gear on a shuttle bus required multiple journies and was not fun at all. The same with Kendal Calling who placed the family field the furthest distance from the entrance and required me to make several trips with a small trolly to get all our stuff in place. I walked miles doing this and was goosed for weeks after.
I always found the best 'festivals' to be the larger bike rally's, in particular the Rock and Blues Custom Show in Derbyshire, now sadly much scaled down due to an incident in the early 2000's.
It was affordable, realtively close and had top acts. I recall seeing Motorhead there 2 months after I got out whilst in a certain state of 'relaxed'.

The big commercial festivals are just soul sucking affairs designed to part you with as much cash as possible whilst trying to convince punters they are in some kind of superior alternative world.