Glasgow to start wearing sandals ,socks & beard

There was a takeaway near my old flat which used to do a munchy box like the one above* that included a ten deck of lambert and butler.

It made me feel proud to be Scottish a fat, bloated Sweaty sock.

*thats bollocks, it was more ridiculous.
Edited for accuracy.

It must be awkward for Scots trannies, they must have to go the extra mile not to blend in

For reasons that needn't detain us, I'm curre co-located with several dozen drag queens at a London hotel.

Outside is a middle aged bearded gent in a kilt.

I'm watching the body language. It's fascinating.

Nothing to do with who might be 'on side'?

Oh, wait...
Pragmatic, now? I thought you said, "Rabidly anti-English" before.

Oh, wait. You did.

4 year honours courses where you'll graduate with a Masters , England was/is 3 years so you can grow up and learn to be independent from mummy and daddy but 2 years full time sounds very reasonable.
4 years is a bachelors with honours degree in Scotland (5 for a masters), the same degree in England is 3 years. I believe this was because of differences in secondary education with highers (Scotland) and A levels not being equivalent. You could do sixth year studies in my day (then higher stills, now **** knows) and this would let you go straight into 2nd year at uni in Scotland.

Some 4 year degrees in Scotland, like a 4 year bachelor degree in English lit from Glasgow, is titled a masters however in reality it isn’t; if you wanted to go and do a PhD for example, you would still need to go do a 1 year masters course prior to that*

*thats what I’ve seen anyway.

Last edited:
So desperately cynical, they'll hold their nose to achieve greatness for wee Nippy.
The same rules on residency they chose which allowed EU nationals resident in Scotland to vote and be targeted by Project Bollocks's "A yes vote means Scotland will leave the EU and then where will you be?"

Yep, it's the SNP that are desperately cynical in pursuit of their goal.

Oh, wait...

Some 4 year degrees in Scotland, like a 4 year bachelor degree in English lit from Glasgow, is titled a masters however in reality it isn’t; if you wanted to go and do a PhD for example, you would still need to go do a 1 year masters course prior to that*

*thats what I’ve seen anyway.
My youngest son did 4 years at St Andrews and was awarded a first class honours Masters degree in Medieval History & English.

What was the story behind that?
The Bologna Accord, stating full signatories should afford each other's students fee rates and access to funding in the same basis as local students with the costs refunded by the student's home government.

The way it operates is that if a French student wants to study in Scotland, they're eligible for the same fee level as a Scottish student and can apply to SAAS for their maintenance costs. The French government then repays the costs. Similarly in reverse for a Scottish student studying in France.

English students can only apply to their home LEA for funding regardless of where they study, and since nobody south of the border saw any reason to change how they did things they opted out of that Bologna provision. As a result, the home LEAs won't refund costs and English students aren't eligible under the reciprocal funding agreement.

Obviously, choices having consequences is some vast anti-English plot hatched north of the border to deny them something they're not entitled to by their own actions.

My youngest son did 4 years at St Andrews and was awarded a first class honours Masters degree in Medieval History & English.
Ancient universities in Scotland title their Arts, Humanities and some Social Science degrees as Master of Arts for historic reasons. They're undergraduate degrees though.

That’s what I understand. Old unis such as a St. Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen have the right to issue masters degrees for courses which, I’d run by Strathclyde, Abertay, Stirling etc would be bachelors degrees. From what I remember (i left uni 15 years ago....), this was not the case for modern degrees whereas the old degree types (literature, history, philosophy, theology) received masters.

Which is why i got a bachelors degree in engineering but my contemporaries at Glasgow who were doing English lit/history got a masters.

It’s to make up for the lack of employability
Indeed! Not many jobs around for medieval history grads, he's a teacher now in Secondary school :)

Indeed! Not many jobs around for medieval history grads, he's a teacher now in Secondary school :)
Good on him.

The employability bit is what we’d tell ourselves because studying engineering was crap and history and English looked far more interesting.

The Bologna Accord, stating full signatories should afford each other's students fee rates and access to funding in the same basis as local students with the costs refunded by the student's home government.

The way it operates is that if a French student wants to study in Scotland, they're eligible for the same fee level as a Scottish student and can apply to SAAS for their maintenance costs. The French government then repays the costs. Similarly in reverse for a Scottish student studying in France.

English students can only apply to their home LEA for funding regardless of where they study, and since nobody south of the border saw any reason to change how they did things they opted out of that Bologna provision. As a result, the home LEAs won't refund costs and English students aren't eligible under the reciprocal funding agreement.

Obviously, choices having consequences is some vast anti-English plot hatched north of the border to deny them something they're not entitled to by their own actions.
Sheer brilliance.

Scotland must be a fantastically rich (and trusting) nation to dole out free university education to European countries who don't have a pot to piss in.

Does Scotland really get the money back from the impoverished Greeks, Spaniards and Portuguese?

Where do they get this money from, given the state of their economies?

Latest Threads