Glasgow to start wearing sandals ,socks & beard

I'm not clear on why so many people are getting so bent out of shape over this, unless you are all Glasgow City residents. It's between the City and their Council Tax payers as far as I'm concerned, and as I'm not affected, I couldn't care less what happens over there.
I couldn't agree more with that - however, I suspect most of us are 'getting bent out of shape' because of the BBC's reverential coverage of a minor story, which only has a higher profile because of the number of boxes being ticked!

I'm not clear on why so many people are getting so bent out of shape over this, unless you are all Glasgow City residents. It's between the City and their Council Tax payers as far as I'm concerned, and as I'm not affected, I couldn't care less what happens over there.
I see you've failed to grasp that SNP!!! BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!!

Mick9abf

War Hero
Bbc news currently creaming itself about Glasgow becoming totally carbon neutral by 2030.
The Scottish govt don’t appear to have thought this through. Couple of talking heads suggesting gas central heating being replaced by air systems, that run off electricity...and cost around 8k to install !
The cynic in me says it sounds like a bit of high profile gesturing pre UN Climate Summit 2020, make a pledge in the hope the city won’t get a hard time off the hardline professional unemploy...... protesters that will rock up later in the year.

Something which incidentally Glasgow City Council, Police Scotland and the SG in general are woefully unprepared for.

Last edited:
The cynic in me says it sounds like a bit of high profile gesturing pre UN Climate Summit 2020, make a pledge in the hope the city won’t get a hard time off the hardline unemploy...... protesters that will rock up later in the year.

Something which incidentally Glasgow City Council, Police Scotland and the SG in general are woefully unprepared for.
BBC news was all over it. Various talking heads on - some bloke representing the Scottish Govt essentially said though - it's just an aspiration - and they are nowhere near to achieving it. ANother pundit wheeled on was asked about central heating etc-that's when the air system,underfloor heating off electric that costs around 8K to install was mentioned.

Not one question from the BBC about how the feck the populace of Glasgae would achieve that, or where the funding would come from.

BBC news was all over it. Various talking heads on - some bloke representing the Scottish Govt essentially said though - it's just an aspiration - and they are nowhere near to achieving it. ANother pundit wheeled on was asked about central heating etc-that's when the air system,underfloor heating off electric that costs around 8K to install was mentioned.

Not one question from the BBC about how the feck the populace of Glasgae would achieve that, or where the funding would come from.
I suspect it's a pre emptive pitch for cash.

Announce a super ambitious target then get the begging bowl out for holyrood funding who pass the bowl down to westminster and when nothing actually changes it's all that wee scunner Boris's fault.

One has to be concerned about anywhere that blokes routinely wear skirts
It must be awkward for Scots trannies, they must have to go the extra mile not to blend in

The cynic in me says it sounds like a bit of high profile gesturing pre UN Climate Summit 2020, make a pledge in the hope the city won’t get a hard time off the hardline professional unemploy...... protesters that will rock up later in the year.

My feeling was that it’s gesture politics. Even if the target was for all council buildings, properties (I.e. housing) and services to be carbon neutral by 2030 it’d be ambitious.

Given it’s the entire city.....and they haven’t announced a f*** tonne of cash to go with it.....I suspect it’s just posturing.

At least when we wear ours, we have the excuse it's our national dress. They don't have that excuse at Lympstone. Hang on, my mistake.
Would not worry too much of the opinions of people whose only international visual identity is either a bowler hat, flat cap, or some footy scarf mate. Sad for them eh? ;)

I sincerely hope that Glasgow goes beyond and becomes carbon-negative. That way for once Glasgow can be synonymous with "carbon sinkhole" instead of "sinkhole estate".

Would not worry too much of the opinions of people whose only international visual identity is either a bowler hat, flat cap, or some footy scarf mate. Sad for them eh? ;)
Don't forget Morris dancers.------------The Fannies.

Latest Threads