GLASGOW HAS THE BEST FACILITIES?

#6
Outstanding said:
escape_artists_never_die said:
Pity it's the worst UOTC in 51 Bde. "Oh yes, you are going to the worst one in the Bde" - what a lovely thing for the new CO 8O
On what basis, are you so brilliant?
Personally? I'm just a fantastic chap. With regards Glasgow being the worst, that's just a fact you'll have to live with until someone more grown up than me explains it to you.
 
#7
escape_artists_never_die said:
Pity it's the worst UOTC in 51 Bde. "Oh yes, you are going to the worst one in the Bde" - what a lovely thing for the new CO 8O
Glasgow is the best , simple as that, no arguments whatsoever. As for the CO, he is a legend, gayforths loss is our gain ( and i've not written that cause he reads these pages, honest :salut:)
 
#10
If you are no longer in an OTC you have no position from which to comment. glasgow remains the best militarily, socially, from an Adv Trg and in competition.
 
#11
Outstanding said:
If you are no longer in an OTC you have no position from which to comment. glasgow remains the best militarily, socially, from an Adv Trg and in competition.
A tad narrow minded there. You have to ask yourself what Bde see as making a UOTC better or worse, clearly you haven't a clue - I'll leave you to your happy UOTC world.
 
#12
Oh how high and mighty you are - and you accuse me of narrow mindedness. I f you have some connection to OTCs in your job, you should have more respect. %1 Bde staff are all good guy/gals (the ones who have visted us) but clearly you have nothing but contempt for the OTCs.
 
#13
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Tayforth, I don't have contempt for any UOTC. I was merely pointing out that currently of the 4 UOTC's in 51 Bde Glasgow is needing pulled up. Feel free to PM me insults/questions etc.
 
#14
No need to PM, as I prefer to remain open on this. On what basis do you make the comment about Glasgow "needing pulled up",
Is it as a result of the Annual Inspec tion or just your personal opinion?
 
#15
Outstanding, how do you actually perform as a UOTC?

Other OTCs compare their performance using figures such as the number of people sent to RMAS (Reg or TA).

Stop being a big child, all the Scottish UOTCs are pretty damn fine places, and Queen's too, as proven by their attendance at God's competition, Northern Lights.
 
#16
A big child - umm!

Of course all Scottish UOTCs are damn fine places - location, location location. Equally I feel that Glasgow tops the lot, Queens have their good points, after all they are Scottish (although many of the accents are not!!).

As for perfomance, I do not think that the numbers that eventually join the Regulars necessarily reflect the "perfomance" of an OTC. many students join for other and diverse reasons. Indeed it is the lack of pressure to join the regs/TA that make it so attractive. Naturally the Army would want to maximise its return, but that can be seen to come in other ways other than recruiting. After all Scottish Universties are producing the bulk of the UKs' future key opinion formers and the more of those that are pro military by dint of OTC service the better the UK military like it.

Now then - even though this is my thread, I won't go home with it, so you can all still play!
 
#17
Outstanding said:
After all Scottish Universties are producing the bulk of the UKs' future key opinion formers and the more of those that are pro military by dint of OTC service the better the UK military like it.
This is now quite an outdated view of the OTC mission. With the government now shoving 50% of the population through University, be they red-brick or ex-poly, you can no longer say that people who go to University are going to be the future leaders and "opinion formers" of this country. Some are, but a damn lot of them aren't.
 
#19
Macks said:
Outstanding said:
After all Scottish Universties are producing the bulk of the UKs' future key opinion formers and the more of those that are pro military by dint of OTC service the better the UK military like it.
This is now quite an outdated view of the OTC mission. With the government now shoving 50% of the population through University, be they red-brick or ex-poly, you can no longer say that people who go to University are going to be the future leaders and "opinion formers" of this country. Some are, but a damn lot of them aren't.
I said Scottish Universties are producing the bulk of the UKs' future key opinion formers, not all Universities/Poly teckniks (sic)
 
#20
Outstanding said:
As for perfomance, I do not think that the numbers that eventually join the Regulars necessarily reflect the "perfomance" of an OTC.
And that's why (once upon a time, and perhaps still) the measurements include "strength against establishment", "percentage pass at MTQ1", "percentage MTQ1 going on to MTQ2", and "percentage pass at MTQ2". With "percentage attending Annual Camp" as another, IIRC.

Certainly "number going to Sandhurst" is reported each year, but because the numbers concerned can be quite small and with a high variance, they aren't as useful as the ones mentioned above.

You expect these figure being roughly similar for each OTC, year on year. When they suddenly differ, Brigade takes a closer look, and (hopefully) provides support as necessary to resolve any issues. The big worry for a CO would be if problems were suddenly revealed, and they hadn't discussed them with the Bde Comd. Say, one of the Coy Comds resigns his commission suddenly, and the Bde Comd only finds out nearly a month later from a third party.... (not an OTC, in that particular case)
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top