Glagow Airport Awards

#1
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/n...objectid=19515108&siteid=66633-name_page.html

25 July 2007
GLASGOW AIRPORT HEROES TO GET GONGS
THE heroes who foiled the Glasgow airport bombers will be honoured.

PM Gordon Brown yesterday signalled they will be rewarded as he called for more recognition for the feats of ordinary people.

Baggage handler John Smeaton, 31, will be among those who will be included in the New Year honours.

He became a celebrity after helping to overpower the driver of the flaming Jeep driven into the doors of Terminal One.

Engineer Michael Kerr, 40, lost two teeth and broke his leg as he took on Iraqi doctor Bilal Abdulla.

Taxi driver Alex McIlveen, 45, kicked Khaled Ahmed, who was in flames, so hard in the groin that he tore a tendon in his foot.


Police officers Stewart Ferguson and Torquil Campbell and Army bomb disposal expert Stevie Jack could also get awards.


Brown said: "It is right that we look at how our honours system can recognise those in our emergency services and members of the public who showed such bravery and heroism in the face of the recent terrorist attacks."


He suggested firemen and other emergency service staff who had worked "beyond the call of duty" to deal with the floods down south will also be recognised.


His comments came as he launched a campaign aimed at boosting the number of ordinary people receiving honours.


Brown wants to promote the idea of a "Good Neighbour MBE".


Only about four out of 10 gongs are currently awarded for services to the local community. Brown, who has written a book entitled Britain's Ordinary Heroes, believes that figure should be "substantially higher".


He wants to see those who give their time in schools, youth clubs, hospitals and charities groups to get awards, as well as sports stars and celebrities.


Brown has told Whitehall departments and the honours committees that more should go to "the unsung heroes of our villages, towns and cities".


He is calling on people to nominate those they think should get awards on the website www.honours.gov.uk. He said: "It is in these millions of quiet, often unheralded deeds of commitment and acts of humanity that never draw attention to themselves, that are unselfish, that we can see the greatness of Britain."


Brown also wants to use July 24 every year to "celebrate" those who give their time and effort to helping others.


That could mean an extra Bank Holiday, as called for by union leaders and charity groups last month.
Nice move, I though something similar should have been done for some of the Civies involved in &th July incident, but I am not really sure that the MBE really cuts it for this.
 
#2
Much as I hate the one-eyed, thieving, cowardly, cnut-faced...sorry, got carried away. Anyway - have to agree that Smeaton and the rest deserve every shiny gong pinned on them.

Knighthoods have been earned for far less(I'm sure Broon's got the exact price list somewhere).
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#3
Taxi driver Alex McIlveen, 45, kicked Khaled Ahmed, who was in flames, so hard in the groin that he tore a tendon in his foot.

My eyes just watered vicariously.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#4
FrankCastle said:
Much as I hate the one-eyed, thieving, cowardly, cnut-faced...sorry, got carried away. Anyway - have to agree that Smeaton and the rest deserve every shiny gong pinned on them.

Knighthoods have been earned for far less(I'm sure Broon's got the exact price list somewhere).
Very good mate, in fact I'm thinking of nominating my boss in all seriousness for something, 70 years old and still working hard in land management!
 
#5
ugly said:
FrankCastle said:
Much as I hate the one-eyed, thieving, cowardly, cnut-faced...sorry, got carried away. Anyway - have to agree that Smeaton and the rest deserve every shiny gong pinned on them.

Knighthoods have been earned for far less(I'm sure Broon's got the exact price list somewhere).
Very good mate, in fact I'm thinking of nominating my boss in all seriousness for something, 70 years old and still working hard in land management!
Go for it - at least he has contributed to society, rather than just Labour Party funds!
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#6
Well contributed to the venison in my freezer! He's a dirty old ex squaddie so it would be a surprise to do something nice for him!
 
#9
Whilst they do undoubtably deserve it but call me a cynical fatherless yet I can't help but detect the faint stench of politics in this. It's like Broon saying that 'a significant majority' of honours list recipients should be 'local, everyday heroes', of course it has nothing to do with eveyone knowing that his government has been selling honours in the recent past (no matter what the CPS said about it) and trying to get people to forget about it as soon as.
 
#10
Brick said:
Whilst they do undoubtably deserve it but call me a cynical fatherless yet I can't help but detect the faint stench of politics in this. It's like Broon saying that 'a significant majority' of honours list recipients should be 'local, everyday heroes', of course it has nothing to do with eveyone knowing that his government has been selling honours in the recent past (no matter what the CPS said about it) and trying to get people to forget about it as soon as.
You are a cynical love-child. :twisted:

You are also right. But this does not detract from Smeaton and friends; whatever the reason they got the awards, no one can deny they EARNED them.
 
#12
He is calling on people to nominate those they think should get awards on the website www.honours.gov.uk. He said: "It is in these millions of quiet, often unheralded deeds of commitment and acts of humanity that never draw attention to themselves, that are unselfish, that we can see the greatness of Britain."

So B Liar wont be getting anything at any stage soon?
 
#13
Call me a cynic if you will, but kicking a bar steward when he is down and on fire does not suggest to me bravery. Who would not kick the fatherless when he was down? Now if we looked at the ambulance crew that called in the vehicle outside tiger tiger or the police officer man that checked the vehicle out fair one, but when somebody no longer represents a threat is that bravery or just anger?

expecting incoming but there are far braver individuals out there who deserve a nod. Hell, I have said it before and I will say it again, any police officer that goes into a pissed up pub on a friday night gets my nod!
 
#14
Joker said:
Call me a cynic if you will, but kicking a bar steward when he is down and on fire does not suggest to me bravery. Who would not kick the fatherless when he was down? Now if we looked at the ambulance crew that called in the vehicle outside tiger tiger or the police officer man that checked the vehicle out fair one, but when somebody no longer represents a threat is that bravery or just anger?

expecting incoming but there are far braver individuals out there who deserve a nod. Hell, I have said it before and I will say it again, any police officer that goes into a pissed up pub on a friday night gets my nod!
I agree with you about the Friday night Police :D (I may be a big Jesse but at times I was terrified, it can get very nasty out there) But lets take nothing away from these guys.

There have always been those, in all jobs, who deseve recognition and don't get it, and those that get high honours for brave acts but perhaps too high.

Also until someone is fullly restrained (I mean in cuffs) and in a cell in custody having been searched thoroughly, they present a danger, these lunatics especially.
 
#15
I thought that the taxi driver hurt his foot not by casually kicking Ahmed when he was down, but by choosing the area of the body that he thought would put the nicely blazing bomber on the floor (which it did)?
 
#16
Have to disagree here. You are losing sight of the fact that servicemen are doing far more in far more dangerous situations every single day and in the majority they get the sum total of sod all. The award of gongs to these upstanding citizens would only serve to dilute those awards that have been awarded in operational committments. There is no doubt that these citizens do deserve a pat on the back and if they are to receive 'honours' then IMHO they should not be off the same scalar as those available to the Armed Forces. Sorry if that cuts against the grain, but I'd like to see someone explain to their grandkids that they got the same award for fighting the Taliban as Mrs Miggins MBE the 'Lollipop lady extraordinaire' got for crossing the road.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#17
I think you are missing the point. Squaddies are paid to do what they do and despite there being many acts which rightfully deserve recognition (only few of which are awarded), any award to a civvy who goes out of his way to tackle a terrorist does deserve some recognition. There's not many would have done it. I don't think any award in this specific case will cause any dilution to the bravery awards that the lads and lasses get.

I'm dead against some of the sh*te that is rolled out like a 2 minute silence for everything, as I feel that the 2 minute silence is unique to Nov 11 and nothing else, so please don't assume that I'm suggesting some sort of politically correct level playing field here, but what that bloke did, did save many lives and a 'pat on the back' is hardly recognition of his courage.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top