Glagow Airport Awards

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/tm_headline=glasgow-airport-heroes-to-get-gongs%26method=full%26objectid=19515108%26siteid=66633-name_page.html

Nice move, I though something similar should have been done for some of the Civies involved in &th July incident, but I am not really sure that the MBE really cuts it for this.

2. Much as I hate the one-eyed, thieving, cowardly, cnut-faced...sorry, got carried away. Anyway - have to agree that Smeaton and the rest deserve every shiny gong pinned on them.

Knighthoods have been earned for far less(I'm sure Broon's got the exact price list somewhere).

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

My eyes just watered vicariously.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Very good mate, in fact I'm thinking of nominating my boss in all seriousness for something, 70 years old and still working hard in land management!

5. Go for it - at least he has contributed to society, rather than just Labour Party funds!

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well contributed to the venison in my freezer! He's a dirty old ex squaddie so it would be a surprise to do something nice for him!

7. :D :D :D :D Only in Glesga!

8. As the 'Taysiders in space' say

'Set phasers to malky'

Good news, well deserved.

9. Whilst they do undoubtably deserve it but call me a cynical fatherless yet I can't help but detect the faint stench of politics in this. It's like Broon saying that 'a significant majority' of honours list recipients should be 'local, everyday heroes', of course it has nothing to do with eveyone knowing that his government has been selling honours in the recent past (no matter what the CPS said about it) and trying to get people to forget about it as soon as.

10. You are a cynical love-child. :twisted:

You are also right. But this does not detract from Smeaton and friends; whatever the reason they got the awards, no one can deny they EARNED them.

11. Prizes for the most apt and most likely citation...

12. He is calling on people to nominate those they think should get awards on the website www.honours.gov.uk. He said: "It is in these millions of quiet, often unheralded deeds of commitment and acts of humanity that never draw attention to themselves, that are unselfish, that we can see the greatness of Britain."

So B Liar wont be getting anything at any stage soon?

13. Call me a cynic if you will, but kicking a bar steward when he is down and on fire does not suggest to me bravery. Who would not kick the fatherless when he was down? Now if we looked at the ambulance crew that called in the vehicle outside tiger tiger or the police officer man that checked the vehicle out fair one, but when somebody no longer represents a threat is that bravery or just anger?

expecting incoming but there are far braver individuals out there who deserve a nod. Hell, I have said it before and I will say it again, any police officer that goes into a pissed up pub on a friday night gets my nod!

14. I agree with you about the Friday night Police :D (I may be a big Jesse but at times I was terrified, it can get very nasty out there) But lets take nothing away from these guys.

There have always been those, in all jobs, who deseve recognition and don't get it, and those that get high honours for brave acts but perhaps too high.

Also until someone is fullly restrained (I mean in cuffs) and in a cell in custody having been searched thoroughly, they present a danger, these lunatics especially.

15. I thought that the taxi driver hurt his foot not by casually kicking Ahmed when he was down, but by choosing the area of the body that he thought would put the nicely blazing bomber on the floor (which it did)?