Gizzits

Were you central H&S next to corporate personal or in one of the departments. I recall at one time, the central lot was run by a little short guy with glasses.

You would almost definitely know me. I was one of the Trade Union guys and always around that area on and off.

Central, after starting out in a little wing on the ground floor. The dept was run by John Ha+g%. Jack Marsh was a trainer and Phil ? Ex RE and a dog breeder, was on the other side From me. I was JH’s 2ic.

Central, after starting out in a little wing on the ground floor. The dept was run by John Ha+g%. Jack Marsh was a trainer and Phil ? Ex RE and a dog breeder, was on the other side From me. I was JH’s 2ic.
I was the Secretary for NUPE. Peter D was the T&G guy. I was also the employees side secretary for the joint negotiating committee. Was Norman Leddy still alive when you were there. He was an assistant director in the leisure department. C. Rippingale was the Chief Exec.

I was the Secretary for NUPE. Peter D was the T&G guy. I was also the employees side secretary for the joint negotiating committee. Was Norman Leddy still alive when you were there. He was an assistant director in the leisure department. C. Rippingale was the Chief Exec.

It was a mindless, pointless job with lunch and quitting times being my favourite. Yes, I remember the Chief Exec. Don’t remember Norman or T and G. There was a Peter, sort of goofy-looking guy who ran a nearby dept. There was an ex Bootie, Colin? nice guy in the dept next to us. Poor sod had his share of life’s problems.

That special unit for troubled yoof, Ruislip? - did inspections there, except the top floor which sounded a real crimper.

My boss was most unhappy when I left - especially after I refused to tell him where i was off to!

Happier days were to follow.

It was a mindless, pointless job with lunch and quitting times being my favourite. Yes, I remember the Chief Exec. Don’t remember Norman or T and G. There was a Peter, sort of goofy-looking guy who ran a nearby dept. There was an ex Bootie, Colin? nice guy in the dept next to us. Poor sod had his share of life’s problems.

That special unit for troubled yoof, Ruislip? - did inspections there, except the top floor which sounded a real crimper.

My boss was most unhappy when I left - especially after I refused to tell him where i was off to!

Happier days were to follow.
There was a guy I recall. Small bloke reasonably well dressed with the initials N.B.

Issi

LE
One bottle of Scotch from a crane hire company when I was working as a site QS, since then nothing.
My best mate is a medical sales rep, they are not allowed to even give out pens to clients any more.

syrup

LE
Last firm

Couple of sportsman's dinners
Free weekend away at a posh hotel with accommodation and a doo thrown in.
Box at Man Utd & tickets to Middlesbrough.
Load of free booze at Christmas all from hauliers.
We did a Telematics project and handed it over to the implementation guys.
They signed off on it and paid for it so they go taken to the Monaco Grand prix and stayed on a nice yacht.
One lad then got sacked for accepting backhanders
His excuse was he'd worked previously in the Middle East where it was routine.
The bosses managed to hold off sacking him and implementing the anti bribery policies just long enough so they could get an all expenses paid trip to Watch the rugby in Paris in.

Current company
We get tickets to football that we sponsor and some other corporate events
But that's fro the company not 3rd party companies looking for business with us

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Through the hotel and pubs we get quite a lot of free booze and foodie treats.

Local suppliers dishing out samples, hoping we’ll serve their artisan rare breed small batch home smoked Lakeland hand made whatever to guests.

I eat it all.

Henri Lloyd also used the place for a photoshoot once. I let them use my Landy for the shoot and they gave me and the wife a few hundred quids worth of free clobber, which was nice.

The_Duke

LE
Lunches and dinners are just routine. Bog standard corporate entertainment for us is hosting at Oktoberfest.

Back in the dim and distant past I managed some work summits - Whistler, Lake Louise and Tremblant over 3 years, combined with the ice hockey All-Stars games. Oh, and South Africa to squeeze in a cheeky Kruger safari alongside a client visit.

The basic routine is declare it and pay (corporate, not personal) fares, hotels etc. Activities at the cost of others is generally ok - racing (horse or car, but never F1), golf, shooting, rugby, football, skiing are all still commonplace.

Lunches and dinners are just routine. Bog standard corporate entertainment for us is hosting at Oktoberfest.

Back in the dim and distant past I managed some work summits - Whistler, Lake Louise and Tremblant over 3 years, combined with the ice hockey All-Stars games. Oh, and South Africa to squeeze in a cheeky Kruger safari alongside a client visit.

The basic routine is declare it and pay (corporate, not personal) fares, hotels etc. Activities at the cost of others is generally ok - racing (horse or car, but never F1), golf, shooting, rugby, football, skiing are all still commonplace.

Rumour has it that Facebook was dreamed up at a conference in Whistler.

Never liked the place and Sun Peaks, Big White are much closer.

Since they implemented the anti-bribery laws a few years back, we don't even see a tin of biscuits for our 100k+ spend with some suppliers.
Slight drift/
A mate was an accountant for Mintex; if you bought a box of 10 pairs of pads, it also included a packet with 2 disc pad shaped ginger nuts. Apparently this increased scaled significantly.
Schools have regulations concerning what gifts staff may accept, if, at Christmas, a supplier donated a bottle of wine or a tin of biscuits (etc) these went in a cupboard. When a member of staff left, they were given… a bottle of wine or a tin of biscuits…

I was involved in a new SAP project for my old company which meant about 10 weeks of the year in Germany. I was there with the Irish, South African's, Spanish and Portuguese subsidiaries. The last two kept to themselves, but the Paddies and Saffa's were a scream.

We were Wave 3, so they has countered on the endless weeks away from the family by holding lots of events and piss-ups. The German project team (mostly external contractors) took it in turns to host us, which meant at least twice a week in the best eateries around Gütersloh & Bielefeld. No expense spared, drink or eat as much as you want.

The best bit was you could put all your drinks from the Hotel bar on expenses. We had a limit, but it was ignored by the Board, because we were commuting via Heathrow and Dusseldorf every week.

The last week before Go-live, instead of flying back to the UK, I ined it up to Hannover on the lash on my tod. Visited all the old pole-dancing bars and strip joints frequented some decades earlier in my army days. Very nostalgic trip <sniff>

Pagan-Image

War Hero
A very well known AT called Malky was tasked to Wellworths in NI to clear it of cassette incendiaries. On completion of the task he was presented with a box of 48 Cadbury Cream Eggs. He ate 40 of them in a day.
I did 4 pickled eggs last night, I'm regretting it now it farking stinks in here

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I took about 9 Boxes of crisps away from a factory I was consulting at a couple of weeks ago.

very nice they are too

*cough* local council *cough*

New large housing estate on a flood plain immediately upstream of a town that suffers regular flooding in the town centre.

1,000 home housing estate on green belt land.

Both passed on the nod by local council.
Some people are obsessed with 'brown envelopes' in relation to my local planning committee. I'm prepared to bet that most if not all their carp decisions are the result of incompetence rather than bribery.

Last edited:

Latest Threads