Giving the wrong impression?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Plant-Pilot, Jan 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was back home in Shrewsbury over the Christmas Holidays, and before you send comments on how 'backwater' Shrewsbury is or that I'm a sad bugger for spending my leave there, you could be right. But while I was there I took a stroll around the the town and noticed something very strange at the Armed Forces Recruitment Office.

The whole shop front is taken up by wheelchair access. I know in these modern 'PC' times everywhere should provide access for everyone able bodied, less able bodied and disabled, but is it giving the wrong impression to any young able bodied potential recruits who want to sign up for a lif of adventure, challenge and derring doo?

Surely the best invitation to a life in the armed forces isn't via a wheelchair ramp?

2. No no no. You've got it all wrong. It's not for wheel chair access. It's the skate board ramp.

3. Well not a very good one with a 'handrail' all round it!

4. I believe that I am correct in stating that due to equal opportunities legislation (probably nothing to do with the EU but lets put the blame at Brussles - it is more satisfying that way) all government buildings must have wheelchair access. That means all Coy offices, barrack blocks etc. I am not sure of the timescale but I heard somewhere that wheelchair access had to be in place by the end of 2008.

Does anyone know if this is true, how much it will cost, and what we are sacrificing (again) to finance it?

5. Yet another example of PC gone mad.

Back in the late 1980s I took part in a study to determine the feasibility of recruiting the handicapped into police and corrections (prison) depts in my particular corner of the USA. After months of research, much agonising (Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunities were breathing down our necks) and a lot of money spent we came to the conclusion that by allowing the handicapped to join PDs or DOC we would be creating inequality as we would have to waive the physical agility tests all candidates must pass before becoming eligible for training, in their favour.

I am all for creating and maintaining equal opportunities for all sectors of society though common sense must prevail (though it seldom does).
    Rather like the instructions in braille on the drive through ATMs at banks in my neck of the woods.

6. The aim of the Disability Discrimination Act (1995) is to help provide a 'level playing field' for disabled people who otherwise face obstacles and barriers in their everyday lives.

Parts 1 and 2 are already implemented. It is illegal to discriminate against people or provide them with a worse service simply because they are disabled. Part 3 (starting October 2004) requires the removal of physical barriers to the provision of a service (for example, steps).

The law requires providers to take reasonable steps to ensure the removal of barriers. The law is overseen by the Disability Rights Commission, which always prefers conciliation to legal action but they are prepared to enforce the Act where necessary.

I get the impression that although disabled people cannot serve, that does not preclude them access to the AFCO.

More at:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/1995050.htm

7. I guess having the ramp there (a) enables wheelchair-bound staff to work at the AFCO and (b) enables wheelchair-bound friends and family of larval soldiers pop in for some expensive leaflets/DVDs. All part of that accursed PC enterprise of making life a bit nicer for people who have it slightly tougher. The goddamn pinko b@stards - what will they think of next?

Also makes it easier for the girlfriends of the said 17-year-olds to get their prams in and out of the office.

The only downside is that the AFCO staff have to deal with the sad look on the face of any non-able-bodied potential recruit who trundles in and is told to feck off.