Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Give the electorate a referendum on the abolition of the House of Lords

This House has considered e-petition 209433 relating to a referendum on the abolition of the House of Lords - By Rob Mc Bride
Parliamentlive.tv

(No idea how the embedding process works). A couple of very good speeches in this; well worth listening to., particularly Davis.

Result: slippery political bullshit, as expected.

It will never happen, to many interconnections of the old school tie, corporate directorships, pall mall men's clubs, contacts in the banking world, the judiciary , and the highest echelons of royalty. Its not who you are, its who you know.
Rules are observed by the lower orders, and laws are for the entertainment of rich and powerful men........Dream on.

Last edited:
It will never happen, to many interconnections of the old school tie, corporate directorships, pall mall men's clubs, contacts in the banking world, the judiciary , and the highest echelons of royalty. Its not who you are, its who you know.
Rules are observed by the lower orders, and laws are for the entrainment of rich and powerful men........Dream on.

A bit like Brexit then!

Well "Established";) self & collective interest & protectionisms within the ancient ermine lined Westminster "Village Mafias" will ensure this is consigned to the bin.
What a load of moon howling tosh.

There could be a referendum of the Great Unwashed but the HofL would just ignore the result if they don't like it - sort of like they are doing with Brexit!

Also it would take a PM with some testicular fortitude (regardless of gender as this is just a phrase) to get HofL reform through to Royal Assent. We certainly don't have that at present.

The upper house is an important part of the parliamentary procedure, but it needs serious reform.
I agree with you, but what reforms are needed?
Electected members like a senate?
Reduced numbers to stop governments stacking it full of yes men and women?
More due diligence on the members conflict of interests?

There are many other reforms that people talk about. It would be great if it happens, but it would mean going against the establishment.

All the time that the HoL is a depository for those rewarded for sycophancy and bribery to the party in power at the time you will have a 2nd House that will do anything to justify its existence. Take Brexit, most of those that are making waves will have a vested interest in keeping the own EU gravy train flowing.

Reading all of the previous comments, I, and others will I hope come to the same conclusion, the people that make and ratify the laws of the land, are not subject to their enforcement. The ruling elite seem to function on a higher plane, with a totally different mind-set, morals, and standards of fair play. A race apart, divorced from the real world, and existing in a more self absorbed and narcissistic existence. Somewhat on the Victorian attitude that we know best, and the lower orders must be kept firmly in their place. nothing changes, only the uniform.

Way ahead for the HoL reform.

1. Reduce numbers at 400 max or less.
2. No Ex-MP's into the HoL, within 5 yrs of sitting in /leaving the HoC
3. Maximum period of service in HoL 10/15 yrs max (to be debated)
4. Failure to attend and vote more than 25% of the time (unless on sabbatical/medical etc) leads to removal from HoL
5. Maximum number of ex HoC members set at no more than 20%
6. Once "new" number of members reached, stick at 1 out and 1 in
I am sure there are other possible options, but these would be a good start.

Way ahead for the HoL reform.

1. Reduce numbers at 400 max or less.
2. No Ex-MP's into the HoL, within 5 yrs of sitting in /leaving the HoC
3. Maximum period of service in HoL 10/15 yrs max (to be debated)
4. Failure to attend and vote more than 25% of the time (unless on sabbatical/medical etc) leads to removal from HoL
5. Maximum number of ex HoC members set at no more than 20%
6. Once "new" number of members reached, stick at 1 out and 1 in
I am sure there are other possible options, but these would be a good start.
1. Agree
2. That will never happen
3. Agree
4. Agree
5. Debatable - what if someone ex HoC goes off for their 5 years is successful there and comes back under that umbrealla?
6. That then becomes Dead Man's Shoes and I am not so sure about that. This goes along with #1 so maybe some leeway needed on numbers, say +/- 5%. Trouble is PMs will keep it at 105% with their placemen.