Give MPs more respect says TCH

TCH should know by now that he is called TCH for a number of reasons...

He is a liar
He is incompetent
He treats Parliament with contempt
He has the personal qualities of a louse, and contributed to the suicide of a man and evaded later responsibility
He is not even fit for the European Parliament!

This man has a lesser chance of gaining "respect" than Harold Shipman has of simultaneously chairing Age Concern and the British Medical Association!

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/commons/story/0,9061,1498371,00.html

Give MPs more respect, says Hoon

Michael White, political editor
Friday June 3, 2005
The Guardian

Politicians and the media must join forces to help restore public respect for parliament as one of the "fundamental" institutions of the state which binds society together, the new leader of the House of Commons says today.
Less than a month into the job Geoff Hoon has decided to hold talks with newspaper editors and journalists to seek ways to restore wider coverage of Lords and Commons so that voters understand that decisions MPs and peers take "have a direct impact" on their lives.

In an article in today's Guardian, Mr Hoon, who was moved from being defence secretary in the post-election reshuffle, takes a sideswipe at the Hansard Society report - chaired by Lord Puttnam - which proposed last month that better access for TV cameras and less ceremonial would help restore public confidence.

Dismissing such talk as "quick fixes", Mr Hoon argues that the challenges facing parliament cannot be isolated from wider changes in society, many of them rooted in an otherwise welcome decline in social deference.

"We live in a more tolerant society with more freedoms and greater rights than was the case in the past. But one of the consequences of this is far less respect in our society - for authority and also for our traditional institutions, including parliament," he writes.

Both voters who fail to exercise their "hard-won privilege" of the franchise and the media which "encourages disrespect" must share some of the blame, says Mr Hoon. He admits that "parliament is facing a crisis of respect", but denies Lord Puttnam's claims that many voters see no difference between its role and that of the government.

The MP for Ashfield since 1992 also concedes: "There is a popular myth that MPs should be regarded as a bunch of second-raters who are in it for what they can get. This is grossly unfair, but it is worrying that people think it. MPs are uniquely placed to inform the government of how policies have an impact on the ground, where it makes a difference."

Mr Hoon explicitly links the problem with the wider issues of respect in society which have worried Tony Blair as the government grapples to curb antisocial behaviour such as vandalism, swearing in public and aggressive drunkenness.

"On the [election] doorsteps, too, I found many people are worried about a general decline in respect for authority. I agree with them. How depressing is it to see younger people swearing at police officers or parents complaining unreasonably about teachers who have dared to discipline their child? This is sounding an alarm for all of us in civil society," he writes.

The minister's complaint about the media is an old one and widely shared by colleagues as reporting of routine parliamentary debates and decisions has declined. But backbench MPs on all sides are likely to protest that one of the chief culprits behind the declining status of parliament is the Blair government which has been notably cavalier in the way it communicates to voters via the media, not the Commons.

It also exercises its muscle as the executive branch of government, able to reward loyal MPs and punish those who challenge it. One such independent veteran, Gwyneth Dunwoody, is this month having to fight to retain her chairmanship of the transport select committee.

The size of New Labour's majorities until May 5 was a contributory factor, as it was in the Thatcher era. So are the more "efficient" hours the Commons now sits, according to older MPs. Mr Hoon hopes that the latest compromise will not require him to reopen that divisive issue.

But Margaret Thatcher spent conspicuously more time in and around parliament than Mr Blair does. Some aides have urged him to use the tea room more often, but to no avail. He feels it would be "phoney" since he makes no secret of his dislike for the clubby atmosphere.

voters understand that decisions MPs and peers take "have a direct impact" on their lives.
Just in case the electorate have forgotten how Mr's decisions impact upon them, perhaps TCH wold care to remind us:

- how many new taxes have been introduced
- how many soldiers have been killed in Bliar's adventure
- how many soldiers couldn't vote (perhaps, if they're not voters, they don't need to know...)
- how many NI terrorist murderers have been released
- how many illegal immigrants have not been deported

and so on, and so on....

Respect is, of course, earned, so perhaps some politicians already get the respect they deserve.

B

Biscuits_AB

How can you respect people who blatantly lie, cajole others to do so, get caught out, do the same again, bully public officials (Chief Constable Notts Police for example) into 'their' way of thinking, lie to the country constantly, attempt to rig elections (postal vote anyone) stab each other in the back...............fcuk, need I go on.

I will never respect a politician. Particularly a Labour one. These people don't respect us, that's why they lie to us. They are a bunch of contemptous b*stards, particularly that c*nt Hoon, who now has the audacity to even believe that he and his ilk deserve any form of respect.

Ventress

LE
Just shows what a to$$er he is. I am trying to get my Warrant re-signed as people just take the pi$$ when they see his signature block at the bottom.

As I was taught there are two vital aspects to leadership, respect and loyalty. Respect must be hard earnt and easily lost. Loyalty is a two way street and if undermined can almost never recover. If you lose these two then you cannot lead.

green_slime said:
As I was taught there are two vital aspects to leadership, respect and loyalty. Respect must be hard earnt and easily lost. Loyalty is a two way street and if undermined can almost never recover. If you lose these two then you cannot lead.
Too right, GS. That's why the to**er's no longer DefSec and has been shunted off to a non-job playing sheepdog to MPs.

B

Biscuits_AB

Ventress said:
Just shows what a to$$er he is. I am trying to get my Warrant re-signed as people just take the pi$$ when they see his signature block at the bottom.
Mine is still in the cardboard tube.........where, because of that c*nt's signature, it shall remain evermore! I am so anti this man, I can't bear to have my most prized award on display.........even in the lavvy!

Respect is earned never demanded or requested

Hoon says MPs deserve "respect". In other news: Kim Jong-il in call for nuclear disarmament...Pope stands up for women's rights...Jacques Chirac praises "dynamic force of unfettered capitalism" in TV address...Will Bush win Nobel Prize for Physics?

That utter, total ****. If he wants respect for MPs, he should practice it himself. Remember when he told Parliament all the soldiers on Telic had their desert kit? Liar.

If it wasn't so absolutely hypercritical, this would be absolutely hilarious!

Just think about it for a few seconds - the SecDef who holidayed in Switzerland, (because he was tired and rundown, according to his wife!), while the armed forces he was (supposedly) in charge of deployed on war fighting operations.

The man whose department failed to provide sufficient equipment, cba plates, grenades for UGL, NAPS - little things like that!

The man, who at the Hutton enquiry, when asked what his responsibilities, told the enquiry, that, effectively, even though he was the Secretary of State for Defence, had no responsibility, for anything, whatsoever!

The man who, as far as I am aware, is detested by every single member of the Armed Forces who have had the 'privilege' of meeting this illustrious individual, as he treats them as underlings, is arrogant and does not seem to connect with people whom he is responsible for. (At least that is what I have been told/interpreted).

The man, who two weeks after he became the Speaker of the Houses of Parliament gave Parliament an extra 2 weeks summer holiday. In addition to the 10 weeks they already get!

And he is telling us MPs deserve more respect? What an absolute, two faced, untrustworty, self interested g1t! As we are not hearing other politicians, from across the political spectrum comment either about TCH's behaviour (or lack of!) or about his giving 2 weeks more summer hols, we can only assume he speaks for them all. It's enough to make you weep. Democracy? Maybe. Self interested individuals with their snouts in the trough? I think so.

The article by TCH appears to have misfired.

The letters page in today's Guardian is packed with letters calling him a c**t, albeit in a politer fashion. It is gratifying to see that he is hated equally in all corners of society.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/comment/0,9236,1500074,00.html

Respect must be earned

Monday June 6, 2005
The Guardian

I found it difficult to read Geoff Hoon's demand for more respect (Comment, June 3). He appears to display so little respect for people that he does not consider that those who fail to exercise their vote may do so because they honestly do not consider any party worthy of a vote. He then blames those voters for encouraging the disrespect.
Hoon says it is unfair that he and his colleagues are seen as second-raters who are out for themselves. Perhaps this is so, but one does see politicians behaving appallingly, with blatant self-interest.

I am sure that there are many hard-working, dedicated individuals in parliament, but I am afraid that I reserve my respect for the "group" until they have all behaved well for a substantial period of time.
If Hoon wants me to vote for his party, then his party must listen when 2 million of us march in the street. Didn't his mother tell him that respect is earned?

Respect for parliament might increase if ministers were to provide relevant information to the MPs who are asked to vote their legislation through. Recently, I asked Geoff [Hoon] if he would ensure that information on the government's technological analysis of the gathering, storage and retrieval of biometric data, and on its cost-benefit analysis of introducing an ID card scheme, was available to MPs before the identity cards bill has its second reading.

He responded "members will have the opportunity to debate these matters in full and in detail very soon". I think constituents would have had more respect for "yes", "no" or "I will find out"'. When MPs were asked to vote on the previous ID card bill, we were not given the information I refer to. Ministers, too, have a role in tackling the crisis of respect.

Does Hoon not understand that many of us have respect for parliament but not for the way New Labour seeks to manipulate it. Even a letter to the Guardian can cause problems, as I discovered when I saw a copy of the information held by Labour party about me as a member.

This included a letter published in the Guardian in which I urged MPs not to follow the government line on abolishing lone-parent benefit. I received letters from the Plymouth Labour MPs criticising me for showing insufficient "loyalty".

Would Hoon really rob the public and media of their traditional right to lampoon MPs and parliament? He should value this safety valve, which prevents much worse and bloodier expressions of frustration. And he should be reminded that one reason why many people are so lacking in respect for MPs is because they often forget respect should be mutual.

The purpose of parliament is not to keep government "informed", as Hoon says, but to hold it to account. The first-past-the-post system, which grants governments huge majorities in the Commons with small shares of the popular vote, only hinders that. For MPs to get more respect, electoral reform is a necessary step. It would lead to a stronger, more assertive parliament and better government.

Still doesn't get it, does he. Geoff Hoon, I mean. I don't respect people who lie to me. It really is that simple.

Caught a little of him on R4's Today this morning, he really has some neck. What a shame the interviewer didn't use a couple of examples (like the Sctotsman arcticle) to show why they have no respect.

According to TCH it's all the way they're reported. lol.

GOing long with every ne, which is very true:-

RESPECT IS EARNT BY WHAT A PERSON DOES AND WHO THEY ARE

THEY DONT DEMAND IT, OR FEEL THEY DESERVE IT IN MOST CASES

IT HARD EARNT BUT EASILY LOST

if MP's feel they deserve it then it wise for them to get into the front line with the guys and not just for one or 2 hrs when hard ship is happening it living with the guys for at least a week , only then will they the true respect of the guys,happen, till then journo's you take heed as well get with the lads live a week as they do , then write about them especially on ops, then see how much respect you have for them! before you put finger to keyboard, or pen to paper!

TCH take heed, or feck off sprouting crap!!

The Mirror had at him, too...

Ken Maguire

8 June 2005

CHINLESS wonder Geoff "Buff" Hoon gives politicians a bad name.

The sorry excuse for a cabinet minister demands we show greater goodwill towards MPs like him.

This £133,997-a-year political pygmy moans that too many people believe - mistakenly he insists - MPs are in it for what they can get.

And as they pack their bags for an 11-week summer holiday, he bleats about their being regarded as a bunch of second-raters.

Respect must be earned and Buff Hoon is bankrupt in this particular department.

Military top brass nicknamed him TCH. The T stood for That, H for Hoon and C a derogatory sexist term unprintable in a family paper.

Cut and Paste edited . Copyright issues yadda x 3

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Biscuits_AB said:
Ventress said:
Mine is still in the cardboard tube.........where, because of that c*nt's signature, it shall remain evermore! I am so anti this man, I can't bear to have my most prized award on display.........even in the lavvy!
Yes you can display your Warrant. It does not matter who signed the bit of paper as the hard bit, i.e. you becoming suitable in the eyes of your officers and peers to hold the Warrant was done without TCH being involved in any way whatsoever. TCH had absolutely nothing to do with the selection process. If you wear the crown on your sleeve put the parchment up, proudly, on your wall of choice.

One note .

The term TCH was invented by Mighty Dough Nut , we have the proof . Last time I looked, he wasn't Military 'Top Brass' but if it has slipped into common parlance , then congratulations mate , that's the 2nd time the TLA made the National press as far as I can tell.

You also appear to have added a new TLA to the English Language :D

Latest Threads