Gitmo detainees paid £12m

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Aug 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't break the law, don't end up having to pay compensation when you get sued for breaking the law.

2. The grinning idiot should pick up the tab.

He was the one in the driving seat at the time, and he seems to have made a few quid out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The torygraph article clearly states 'likely' and does not state fact. Another attempt by media to put pressure on SIS to disclose sensitive information by advertising here say to lefty drawn-in human rights members of the public.

4. torture people hold uk citizens without trial fail to charge them with anything be surprised that you have to pay out tons to keep it secret.
    none of them were high value targets.
    potential foot soldiers and or suicide bombers but not caught red handed and no court case so tough.
    even provos didn't get interned for years and tortured repeatedly.

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

A long time ago ( it seems to me) I posted on this forum that Gitmo was an enduring source of shame to the otherwise largely decent folk of the former colony Over There.

How much do you reckon this guy is gonna be taking the U.S Govt to court for eventually.....?

SOURCE

6. As a policy it was a ****ing disaster they managed to apprently even let dangerous people go so it didn't even work.
    Admittidly if I'd Been locked up an tortured for a few years then let go I doubt I'd be in a very forgiving move.

7. If the person was not a terrorist before, he certainly will be a very willing one after the experience. One of the things about my country I am really not proud of.

8. Check the date on this report........

January 22, 2009

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo Bay facility

President Obama signs the order requiring that the Guantanamo Bay facility be closed within a year.

Promising to return America to the "moral high ground" in the war on terrorism, President Obama issued three executive orders Thursday to demonstrate a clean break from the Bush administration, including one requiring that the Guantanamo Bay detention facility be closed within a year.

9. This comes to mind.

10. Probably it's full of really pissed off people who would crawl over broken glass to kill an American :(
    Can t imagine how that happened ?

11. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

It is good that people are defending these ex Gitmo folk, but I am of the 'no smoke without fire' brigade. One of these ex Gitmo folks is known to me and a fairly creepy bugger he is too. He has a yacht that must be worth £350k so perhaps he won't claim the compo?