Gitmo detainees entitled to Geneva Convention protections

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration said Tuesday that all detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and in all other U.S. military custody around the world are entitled to protections under the Geneva Conventions.

White House spokesman Tony Snow said the policy, outlined in a new Defense Department memo, reflects the recent 5-3 Supreme Court decision blocking military tribunals set up by President Bush.

The policy, described in a memo by Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England, appears to reverse the administration's earlier insistence that the detainees are not prisoners of war and thus subject to the Geneva protections.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/11/congress.guantanamo.ap/index.html

Well well well whats led to this U-turn then?

So they're not "unlawful combatants" anymore?

Now that's what I call an interesting development! I wonder what the US gobment's drills will be from here on in.

MsG

Then I hope from now on the policy is to hold the enemy to the terms of the same Geneva Convention when on the battlefield. No uniform? Lights out. Targeting civilians? Lights out. It would certainly make things a whole lot easier...

(Not condoning summary justice... blah blah blah... etc etc etc)

Do the conventions give a recommendation of a death sentence for those crimes, stoats????

Surely a long stay at the Iraqi Presidents convenience (a la NI terrorists) would be a much bigger deterrent to those thinking of kicking off. No 72 virgins, just some grizzled old muhajadeen to light up their nights for 20 odd years.

Not sure. Will have a look. But people who themselves break the conventions are certainly not entitled to its protection.

Looks like the only requirement really is a fair trial, after which any legal sanction available to the prosecuting state can be applied. people have certainly been executed legally for being illegal combatants in the past.

I now defer to people with a formal education in this topic...

stoatman said:
Looks like the only requirement really is a fair trial, after which any legal sanction available to the prosecuting state can be applied. people have certainly been executed legally for being illegal combatants in the past.

I now defer to people with a formal education in this topic...
Generally though, bumping the buggers off (even legally) enthuses some young scroat to jump up and down and join the insurgents. Giving them half a lietime away from mother and the next twit will think twice before going a jihading