Girls in the Infantry

Vickat1

Swinger
Hi, my daughter is hoping to join AFC Harrogate in September and has her heart set on the Infantry. I understand that she may get steered in a different direction following assessments but, for now, that’s where her focus is. I have tried to find information about girls in the Infantry but with it being quite new it’s few and far between. I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge or information on if they are actively wanting females in these roles and if any have actually passed through Harrogate yet?? Thank you in advance for your help

I can imagine that they'll be actively encouraging suitable female recruits to join the infantry. How's her fitness? A good level of fitness, plus physical and mental robustness are essential.

Vickat1

Swinger
I can imagine that they'll be actively encouraging suitable female recruits to join the infantry. How's her fitness? A good level of fitness, plus physical and mental robustness are essential.
Her fitness is very good - her dad is regularly kicking her butt on runs and upper body strength (he’s ex-army and I think it’s all bringing back fond memories for him ) She’s all over robust and has never been a wimp I’m just worried that her height may be an issue, she’s only 5ft 4 but as I said can’t find any info at all! Thank you for your reply

soleil

War Hero
Hi, my daughter is hoping to join AFC Harrogate in September and has her heart set on the Infantry. I understand that she may get steered in a different direction following assessments but, for now, that’s where her focus is. I have tried to find information about girls in the Infantry but with it being quite new it’s few and far between. I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge or information on if they are actively wanting females in these roles and if any have actually passed through Harrogate yet?? Thank you in advance for your help

Hi, the first female infantry entrants loaded to Harrogate last September and we have females loaded to March this year. For September we currently have have about 25 spaces for potential Infantry females.

She needs to be under no illusions that it is a physically demanding role and that she will have to be much fitter than the average female with excellent upper body strength. Although she is probably still developing, she won’t get the Infantry if she is not fitter than her female peers.

Good luck to her and please encourage her to have an open mind, there are some other fantastic roles if she doesn’t make the Infantry.

Vickat1

Swinger
Hi, the first female infantry entrants loaded to Harrogate last September and we have females loaded to March this year. For September we currently have have about 25 spaces for potential Infantry females.

She needs to be under no illusions that it is a physically demanding role and that she will have to be much fitter than the average female with excellent upper body strength. Although she is probably still developing, she won’t get the Infantry if she is not fitter than her female peers.

Good luck to her and please encourage her to have an open mind, there are some other fantastic roles if she doesn’t make the Infantry.

Her fitness is very good - her dad is regularly kicking her butt on runs and upper body strength (he’s ex-army and I think it’s all bringing back fond memories for him ) She’s all over robust and has never been a wimp I’m just worried that her height may be an issue, she’s only 5ft 4 but as I said can’t find any info at all! Thank you for your reply
Infantry roles are now open to females, if she wants it she should go for it. You won’t find many answers to your questions because not many women have gone for it yet, someone has to blaze the way, why not your daughter?

Ignore the detractors on here, if your husband is happy about it, having served, he will have an understanding of the life and you can discuss that.

Don’t worry about her size, it’s not an issue, the attitude she goes with is more important.

HM Forces offer many wonderful opportunities for keen, fit young women.
The least suitable of these is infantry - it has only been recently approved for PC bullshit reasons.
Encourage her to look at the many other options on the Government military recruiting website. If you have family friends who have served, get them to talk to her.

Vickat1

Swinger

That is really helpful! Thank you

Vickat1

Swinger
The least suitable of these is infantry - it has only been recently approved for PC bullshit reasons.
Encourage her to look at the many other options on the Government military recruiting website. If you have family friends who have served, get them to talk to her.
Thank you for your reply - being a typical teenager it’s really difficult to dissuade her when she has set her mind on something and as I said, with very little information out there it’s hard for her to make an informed decision so maybe when she goes to assessment (if she’s successful) she’ll change her mind, maybe not. As long as she’s happy - that’s my priority

Vickat1

Swinger
Infantry roles are now open to females, if she wants it she should go for it. You won’t find many answers to your questions because not many women have gone for it yet, someone has to blaze the way, why not your daughter?

Ignore the detractors on here, if your husband is happy about it, having served, he will have an understanding of the life and you can discuss that.

Don’t worry about her size, it’s not an issue, the attitude she goes with is more important.
That’s great!! Thank you for your reply.

Here a link to some of the fitness tests

No one seems to know the standard for the SCR, but the exercises are listed.
The main one is the RFT.

If she can manage them (or almost manage them at her age) then she will be in with a chance, if not, maybe she should look elsewhere.

I’m just worried that her height may be an issue, she’s only 5ft 4 but as I said can’t find any info at all! Thank you for your reply
I've known shorter Riflemen.

Her height will not be a problem.

Dwarf

LE
As you females are fond of saying size doesn't matter.
I'm just one inch taller than your daughter and apart from having trouble seeing over the parapet in trenches I managed ok.
If the mind is there and the fitness and strength then the person will cope.

That’s great!! Thank you for your reply.
I presume she is in the process, if so get her to speak to her recruiter in the ACC or her CSM in the NRC and get her loaded onto the Infantry Army Awareness Activity (AAA). This can be attended before assessment and will give her an insight into day day life and various Infantry roles.

Vickat1

Swinger
I presume she is in the process, if so get her to speak to her recruiter in the ACC or her CSM in the NRC and get her loaded onto the Infantry Army Awareness Activity (AAA). This can be attended before assessment and will give her an insight into day day life and various Infantry roles.
Is that the same what they referred to as the ‘Briefing’? She was shown a video that sounds similar when we attended that.

Vickat1

Swinger
As you females are fond of saying size doesn't matter.
I'm just one inch taller than your daughter and apart from having trouble seeing over the parapet in trenches I managed ok.
If the mind is there and the fitness and strength then the person will cope.
Lol - thank you!!

Is that the same what they referred to as the ‘Briefing’? She was shown a video that sounds similar when we attended that.
No that’s a generic Army Brief. They may not take juniors on the AAA, the recruiting staff will be able to tell you, however there are visits to Harrogate for junior entrants and parents.

Not Infantry specific but very popular and fill up fast so ensure she registers interest early if she wants to attend.

Just make her aware of the banter that goes on, also when in training recruits are n't trained soldiers and are civi's learning too, so they will bring their misconceptions with them. Training will sort that out.

This is an older statics since BPFA tests have been re-adjusted on load carrying for both sexes.

But shows the amount of failures for the Army Male Inf recruits. So "if" she fails for any reason, its not because shes a woman, quite hopefully she passes and press onward's to a good service career.

There are other career options to transfer to once in training as well "if" any reasons to not carry on the Inf role.

That may be your opinion, others differ,

The fact is that the role is now available to women so if a female wants to take that opportunity and meets the required standards then I don't see why not.

Latest Threads