GIP ????? Confused!

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by shark3432, Jul 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys, I am going to be awarded a GIP at Tarrif 11, however I am not getting a MD and will probably not fingers crossed, I have served 17 years and will probably get to W02. What I need to knowis am I right in saying I will get around £800 Service pension and I have worked out at 11k GIP a year. Does the GIP get reduced as it looks like it will be more than my Service pension or are they two separate things? I have looked around but it is hard to get a def answer as most people with a GIP get MD.

2. JSP 765 gives you a very good indication on what you may end up with, particularly as you have an idea on figures.
  3. Don't quote me on this but I always thought that GIP was - add all your income up from any and all sources, if it is below your GIP then you get extra added by HMG but if it is above then you get no more.

So if you have a GIP of 11,000 and your pension is say 12,000 then you get nothing extra paid to you.

There are a few experts on the whys and werefores on the board and when they have recovered from the weekends exessess then maybe they might have a bit more on this.
  4. Thanks for the reply's guys, I have had a look at the JSP 765 ( I may have looked at a old one unless it hasn't been amended since the Lord Boyce review) and I'm still not 100% sure, the way I read it means the only time the GIP gets reduced is if its added along with an ill health pension due to MD? It does not say the GIP gets effected with a 22year normal pension, it's all very confusing!

5. Read the GIP examples at Annex C to Chapter 2.
  6. Thanks Escotia, I have had a read but both pensions in the example where Invalided out of the Army and can't be compensated twice, I get that but I still can't find what happens when you get a "normal" service pension and a GIP? If I was to get a GIP it is coming out around £900 per month at 30% of my factor and £800 normal service pension it seems to good to be true?

I am sorry if I am reading it wrong it's not my strong point ;) that's why I come on here, please feel free to put it in laymen's terms LOL.