GIP Bombshell dropped today!

oxygna3

Clanker
I contacted the Veterans Agency today to clarify some details on my GIP (see my previous thread) and received the biggest blow to date! 3yrs ago when I received the letter stating how much GIP I would receive after I leave the Army should I depart early on medical grounds (I am aware that this will be abated by 75% if I manage to rige my time out naturally). It stated that this amount would also raise in line with inflation. My GIP was calculated after many years in acting rank, which I did expext to remain in until my last day of service. However, last year, due to limited employability it was more deemed suitable for the Army to revert my pay and rank and to put me into my current posting to see my time out. This is where the bombshell happens; the GIP, unlike the 75 pension scheme, is apparently only calculated on your salary at time of discharge and gives no consideration to previously held acting rank (the 75 system does as long as you've been in the rank for 2yrs in your last 5). So instead of the expected figure going up on my GIP it has dropped by a considerable amount (almost a quarter!!). There was definitely no mention of any posibility of the figure going down when I received my GIP paperwork.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of this area? Can this be appealed if it stands? The lady whom I spoke to, although very helpful, did not seem 100% sure about it, therefore I am submitting it in writing tomorrow to ask for clarification.

As if preparing to leave the service isn't daunting enough without this type of bomb being dropped at this stage of the game!

oxygna3

Clanker
And not very surprisongly I have not reveived a single response from the veterans agency. After readling some of the posts on here it would appear that we are just ecpected to accept these things without question.

nanobot

Clanker
if you had held the acting rank for the last 18 months of service it would of been that rank and pay the deal was based on, pension rates are based on the highest pay/rank held in the last 2 years of service, the original advice letter would of been correct about the payment rates for medical discharge just as the current notification will also be correct about staying in for longer