Ginger beard

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Never heard the saying 'what's inside the beret is yours. What's outside of it, is the army's?'
Best tell his mother in law. I'm sure she'll be pleased to be corrected.

Some guess work here.
£300k for the music - so maybe they are included in that?
That's the bell ringers, organist, choirs....then the music for the reception too. Rumours are flying around as to who will perform - from the Spice Girls to Elton John in the running, Coldplay's Chris Martin or Meghan's mate Rihanna...but there's still the church music to pay for.
Then at the end it says.
Who's paying for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's wedding?
While it's traditional for the father of the bride to cough up, Kensington Palace confirmed the royal family will foot the bill.
They will be paying for the church service, flowers, reception and the decorations, but that leaves a few other bits to take care of.
Meghan is expected to pay for her dress, and we, the taxpayer, will pay for the security.
However, the wedding is expected to boost the economy by £500m in tourism and merchandise.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding 'to cost £32million' - who's paying
So there we are.

Not knowing anything about protocol, regulations, etc. I was surprised to see that Harry only wore his medal ribbons, rather than his medals. Can anyone explain why that was?
Despite the trappings, this was not a State occasion. Harry is not lined up to be King. Charles, Andrew and (even) Edward were in civvies, I didn’t see Anne. Pongos led the march out, not the RN and RM which would be the norm. No need to invite foreign Royals, Presidents or Heads of Government.

A family wedding like no other. Hurrah!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Some guess work here.
£300k for the music - so maybe they are included in that?
That's the bell ringers, organist, choirs....then the music for the reception too. Rumours are flying around as to who will perform - from the Spice Girls to Elton John in the running, Coldplay's Chris Martin or Meghan's mate Rihanna...but there's still the church music to pay for.
Then at the end it says.
Who's paying for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's wedding?
While it's traditional for the father of the bride to cough up, Kensington Palace confirmed the royal family will foot the bill.
They will be paying for the church service, flowers, reception and the decorations, but that leaves a few other bits to take care of.
Meghan is expected to pay for her dress, and we, the taxpayer, will pay for the security.
However, the wedding is expected to boost the economy by £500m in tourism and merchandise.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding 'to cost £32million' - who's paying
So there we are.
I was referring to those from the dark continent who were, apparently, here specially for the occasion.

He's like you ...except he's not.

I must admit beards disgust me at the best of times i have never had one even if i don't shave for a day i feel like a tramp, i'd thought he'd have shaved it off if nothing else it would take about five years of him and his hair looked like he'd been dragged through a bush ...crop it man and actually look like the soldier you think you still are.
... like the soldier you never were, you fucking plum. What a prissy, twattish post.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So, OP, how is your post going? I think perhaps not to plan. If you joined this site to post this bitchy little post, you are definitely in the wrong place. H can do and wear wtf he likes 'coz Grandma said he could. He at least has been there and done the job; not sitting back at Echelon, quaking with fear every time someone farts!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not knowing anything about protocol, regulations, etc. I was surprised to see that Harry only wore his medal ribbons, rather than his medals. Can anyone explain why that was?
I would guess this was a wedding where, looking at the guests, 'morning grey' (as opposed to 'morning dress' - black coat, striped trousers) was stipulated on the invites and the military equivalent is frock coat-no medals.

Last week there was a meeting of VC and GC holders reported in the Mail and there were howls of rage from the numb-nut readers objecting to the Prince of Wales wearing non-gallantry medals.
For goodness sake, if the invite stated uniform if serving, or lounge suits; either with full-size medals, then that's what is worn irrespective if the medals are gallantry, campaign or official commemorative medals.
Link;
Outrage at Charles wearing medals

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
"His grandmother, the Queen, gave him special permission to don the dress uniform while still keeping his fiery facial hair." - America's new prince-in-law earned that uniform | SOFREP
The person who wrote the article seems to think, like so many others, that USA rules the world and now has its own royal family by inviting the British cousins to take part. A rather pathetic article to my mind though it takes all sorts. I just wish it did not include the majority of those from the USA.

I would guess this was a wedding where, looking at the guests, 'morning grey' (as opposed to 'morning dress' - black coat, striped trousers) was stipulated on the invites and the military equivalent is frock coat-no medals.

Last week there was a meeting of VC and GC holders reported in the Mail and there were howls of rage from the numb-nut readers objecting to the Prince of Wales wearing non-gallantry medals.
For goodness sake, if the invite stated uniform if serving, or lounge suits; either with full-size medals, then that's what is worn irrespective if the medals are gallantry, campaign or official commemorative medals.
Link;
Outrage at Charles wearing medals
Aye - and Big Bill Speakman VC., wears a beard with his Royal Hospital uniform - even at his advanced age he'd still be able to chin the OP!

They wore ribbons only because the frock coat is an "undress" uniform on which ribbons are appropriate.

ARMY DRESS REGULATIONS (ALL RANKS)

Ministry of Defence PS12(A) January 2011

01.348. UNDRESS: uniforms or uniform items one step below Full Dress in level of formality. The term covered Frock Coats, Patrol Jackets, and Stable and Shell Jackets and Mess Dress, although perceptions of formality subsequently changed.

02.021 Orders of Dress.

b. Frock Coat: Worn by Lieutenant Generals and above, and Major Generals in certain appointments, for formal occasions when not on parade in command of troops. Frock coats are also worn as Undress by certain officers of the Household Division and King’s Troop RHA, Directors of Music and Bandmasters.

02.028 Frock Coat.

v) Medals. Ribbons only.

13.022 Orders of Dress on Which Awards are to be Worn. Orders, Decorations and Medals are worn with the following orders of dress:

a. Full Dress, and Frockcoat (but not with the Household Division Frockcoat).

As regards their rank. I wouldn't be surprised if someone som where has a piece of paper appointing them to the Brevet rank of Major. Neatly sidestepping a whole heap of potential protocol breaches.

As a bit of a spotter it was good to see all the things that were right. However, they should have either worn swords, or no belt and slings. That is the absolute correct form, but everyone is prone to a bit of extra bling on the right occassion.

Far worse than a ginger beard is the fashion amongst some middle aged and elderly men to sport designer stubble. They seem to be under the misapprehension that it makes them look edgy and young. It does exactly the opposite, especially if the beard is greying. It adds about fifteen years and makes them look like street drinkers.

Right up there with balding men with ponytails.

And long shorts.