Ginge in the army? ;)

Hi

I am going to apply for the infantry (mercian) and i was wondering what to expect in basic training off the soliders who train you (are they CPL's?).

Am guessing that it is going to be a nightmare anyone seen or experienced anything?

I know its a bit of a bone question and you probably pissed yourself when you seen the title haha

P

pp0470

I was amazed at the enthusiasm of the instructors at basic (having done 15yrs in civvie street).

Yep, they'll take the piss - take it on the chin with a smile. Yep, they'll have you running from pillar to post, but what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

And yes, it will seem like 'silly buggers' at times, but it's all just a game - you just have to learn the rules.

Best adage I know to get me through a tough day - 'train hard, fight easy'.

Best of luck & enjoy mate.

I know it aint easy but i also know ill get the extra stick haha thanks for the kind words mate was expecting some funny and rude reply's, well there is time yet

Man the **** up and dont tollerate any bullying! If you dont like being victimised for being ginger dont be! Smack the **** out of a few people and they'll be calling you Nails or some other shite. Your attitude gives the rest of us gwars a bad rep!

Grow a pair - You Ginger Tosser!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Man the **** up and dont tollerate any bullying! If you dont like being victimised for being ginger dont be! Dye your hair, get a spray tan and Smack the **** out of a few people and they'll be calling you Rusty Nails or some other shite. Your attitude gives the rest of us gwars a bad rep!

Grow a pair - You Ginger Tosser!
thought that needed fixing, dont worry about the charge as I'm sure you'll return the favour

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
he'd get points for good cam though and more offers on troop nights out.

R

renamed_user

You (Ginge) do realise you are joining the British Army don't you? And it is hard? sometimes very hard. Lets be clear here you may find your ginger hair and the rest of you toe to toe with the Afghan hordes, Bleating about being worried about your hair will be the least of your worries.
Anyway all the best!

You (Ginge) do realise you are joining the British Army don't you? And it is hard? sometimes very hard. Lets be clear here you may find your ginger hair and the rest of you toe to toe with the Afghan hordes, Bleating about being worried about your hair will be the least of your worries.
Anyway all the best!
exactly as he says ginge it'll be the least of your worries, with that pasty white complexion just pray for a winter tour.

Wait until you see a ginger Afghan, even you'll be able to laugh at them!

On a serious note, you will get the piss taken out of you in depot whatever your hair or skin colour, the trick is learning to deal with it.

If you can't deal with a bit of banter, you definately won't like someone shooting at you.

It doesn't matter what you look like, you're going to get the piss taken out of you. If you're a good soldier, however, no one will give a **** about anything else.

Best of luck.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer, dyed hair, close shave, fake tan, pretend to be a confused homosexual so the women take pity on you then plant your evil seed into her womb.

did you know hitler was ginger, pale skin dark hair, no friends, refused to have kids, mainy appeared in black and white etc... he had a jewish barber who teased him apparently.

gwar = japanese knotweed of the gene pool :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
It doesn't matter what you look like, you're going to get the piss taken out of you. If you're a good soldier, however, no one will give a ****, but will try and **** you over at any and every given opportunity.

Best of luck.
and another one

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If yer ginger, you'll get the piss taken remorselessly.
If you have baby-blond hair, you'll get the piss taken remorselessly.
If yer an inch shorter than anybody else, you'll get the piss taken remorselessly for being a shortarrse.
If yer an inch taller ...
If yer a sweaty ...
If yer a Paddy, a taff, a northern monkey, a weak-kneed, namby-pamby, shandy-drinking southerner ...
If yer handsome ...
If yer ugly ...
If yer a couple of pounds overweight ...
It yer skinny ...
Let's not even mention ethnicity (oops too late).

Get my drift? You will get the piss taken remorselessly for one reason or another (or several: I was ginger, fower-eyed, freckly and had an A-level. God did I have to take it.)

I joined my unit. They couldn't call me Geordie cos the regiment was the Geordie Hussars and most people were Geordie (though nowadays the term Mackem is preferred by those of us who don't want to be associated with the great unwashed other side of the Tyne). About a week into my regimental life, one of the lance-jacks made a profound (for him: he was a sweaty) statement to the section in general, then looked at the educated idiot me and added, "unless you know better?" He went to call me Brains ... he went to call me Goggles ... he might equally have called me Freckles or Fower-eyes. It came out as Boggles. I could have bitten and had the piss taken out of me for my entire career but I knew in that instant I had to accept it, and I did. For the rest of my career I was called Boggles by all ranks (including the man who was my CO when I left).

If, a week into my career, I had let it upset me, it would have been a very short, miserable three years until my time was up and I slunk away. As it was, I embraced the culture, fought fire with fire, was instantly accepted. The only "indoctrination ceremony" - the sort of thing the army frowns on these days - that I went through was to go into the NAAFI bar in Omagh after an afternoon on VCPs and drink enough Newcastle Brown that prior to joining up would have killed me from alcohol poisoning. It was the following morning I was given the name and from that moment I was an accepted member of the troop.

If yer an inch shorter than anybody else, you'll get the piss taken remorselessly for being a shortarrse.
If yer a sweaty ...
If yer a Paddy, a taff, a northern monkey, a weak-kneed, namby-pamby, shandy-drinking southerner ...
If yer handsome ...
If yer ugly ...
It yer skinny ...

Get my drift? You will get the piss taken remorselessly for one reason or another (or several: I was ginger, fower-eyed, freckly and had an A-level. God did I have to take it.)

I joined my unit. They couldn't call me Geordie cos the regiment was the Geordie Hussars and most people were Geordie (though nowadays the term Mackem is preferred by those of us who don't want to be associated with the great unwashed other side of the Tyne). About a week into my regimental life, one of the lance-jacks made a profound (for him: he was a sweaty) statement to the section in general, then looked at the educated idiot me and added, "unless you know better?" He went to call me Brains ... he went to call me Goggles ... he might equally have called me Freckles or Fower-eyes. It came out as Boggles. I could have bitten and had the piss taken out of me for my entire career but I knew in that instant I had to accept it, and I did. For the rest of my career I was called Boggles by all ranks (including the man who was my CO when I left).

If, a week into my career, I had let it upset me, it would have been a very short, miserable three years until my time was up and I slunk away. As it was, I embraced the culture, fought fire with fire, was instantly accepted. The only "indoctrination ceremony" - the sort of thing the army frowns on these days - that I went through was to go into the NAAFI bar in Omagh after an afternoon on VCPs and drink enough Newcastle Brown that prior to joining up would have killed me from alcohol poisoning. It was the following morning I was given the name and from that moment I was an accepted member of the troop.
they buggered you senseless didnt they

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
they buggered you senseless didnt they
Actually, funnily enough no.

We'd rolled off VCPs, hit the cookhouse and rolled straight into the pigs' bar, still in combats (it was only a day or two later I realised regimental dress code said lightweight, not combat trousers).

Round of Brown Dog ... consumed.

Very quickly there's a pyramid of empty Dog cans on the table, just like every other table in the bar. Alien (not yet known as Boggles) clicks that at this rate he'll be dead, not just dead drunk, in a couple of hours.

The Dog is arriving so fast at the table, young innocent me had no chance of keeping up. "Need a comfort break." Surreptitiously slip a handful of full cans from the collection sat in front of me into pockets in combat jacket and trousers, take a comfort break, open the empty cans and cut out the middle man. Return to table and surreptitiously replace the now-empty cans in front of me.

Repeat all night.

Yes I went to bed wondering if I'd wake up the next morning or not, but at the end of the night, despite my machinations having consumed far more alcohol than I ever had before, I was nowhere near as ratarssed as the rest of the troop.

See, they thought I was an educated idiot, but in fact they were only half right. (I was an idiot. Fancy pouring Dog straight down the cludgy.)

If yer a sweaty ...
If yer handsome ...
If yer ugly ...
It yer skinny ...

Thanks mate for the decent reply, and to the others saying man up, its a simple question was just wondering. And some of these replys had me pissing myself haha

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fredster Royal Signals 10
galgenberg The Intelligence Cell 14
S The NAAFI Bar 8