Gin.

"Star of Bombay" from the makers of Bombay Sapphire. You get a hefty 47.5% ABV but that's about all. Not much flavour, apart from alcohol and at £40 a bottle, not worth it at all.
I've just popped along to Gib for just this reason (plus of course it is Mrs S-B's birthday!) and bought another bottle of Ophir for £12 A LITRE!!! Sipsmith is 16 and I have also bought a bottle of 'Bulldog' which I have not had before and so carried out QA on it tonight - very nice! Got a couple more days, so will do a bit more shopping down the cheap end of Main St!

ancient

War Hero
I've just popped along to Gib for just this reason (plus of course it is Mrs S-B's birthday!) and bought another bottle of Ophir for £12 A LITRE!!! Sipsmith is 16 and I have also bought a bottle of 'Bulldog' which I have not had before and so carried out QA on it tonight - very nice! Got a couple more days, so will do a bit more shopping down the cheap end of Main St!
£12 a litre!!!! I’m coming over to your place. I’ll bring some tonic. I tried the Bulldog but found it very bitter. Enjoy!

GingerNavs

Swinger
Have you tried adding a chopped chilli? I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Have you tried adding a chopped chilli? I don't think you'll be disappointed.
No - not yet! Are we talking silly chilli or mild chilli here? I already love the cardamom taste, so I can see how it would work. (Side note - chillis are very hard to find here! Despite prawn pil pil, the Spanish do not like spicy food, so we grow our own and swap them. Chillis, not Spanish!)

£12 a litre!!!! I’m coming over to your place. I’ll bring some tonic. I tried the Bulldog but found it very bitter. Enjoy!
Make sure it is Fever Tree! Makes me sound pretentious (moi?) but it DOES make a difference!
I performed QA on the Bulldog last night with Morrison's tonic and thought it was OK.

Got a half bottle of Finlandia today to use for the couple of days we are here - Just over £3!

Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz ginnis lovely - I’m happy to drink it neat (which I don’t do with any other spirit). A little pricey but worth it IMHO.

Stu, one of their blokes does sessionsnin the UK a few times a year & despite being an Ozzie is a good laugh. Merchant House of Bow Lane in London hosts him usually - worth a visit.

Ophir is quite moreish. Probably my favourite.

GingerNavs

Swinger
No - not yet! Are we talking silly chilli or mild chilli here? I already love the cardamom taste, so I can see how it would work. (Side note - chillis are very hard to find here! Despite prawn pil pil, the Spanish do not like spicy food, so we grow our own and swap them. Chillis, not Spanish!)
A decent size birds eye chilli should do it. The gin takes away most of the heat but leaves a little something.

ancient

War Hero
If you like "Bombay Sapphire" I've just brought a container load of it into Tesco's Distribution Centre. It goes on promotion on 26th March at £20 a litre. 288 bottles per Tesco extra store as a one off promotion.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Anyone got any gen on this...?

IMAG1421-20190320-083451673.jpg

GF brought it back from her trip to Ireland last night.

Best tonic / garnish etc? Cheers :thumleft:

If you like "Bombay Sapphire" I've just brought a container load of it into Tesco's Distribution Centre. It goes on promotion on 26th March at £20 a litre. 288 bottles per Tesco extra store as a one off promotion.
Bombay gives me a scalp splitting headache almost immediately, for some reason.
During my working life when travelling on Luftwaffe business, they only had this gin so for the first few flights, I wondered what fecking hit me, a few slugs into the flight. Really was a cracking headache that would have killed a civvy.
It transpires that the botanicals they use literally went straight to my head. Discussing this with colleagues of a similar bent, I was not alone.
On subsequent Luft flights, I asked for the Gordons they served in cattle...they foolishly left a litre bottle with me:D

On a seperate track, have you gin aficionados tried quaffing with soda water instead of tonic?
I find it is much better and doesn't get in the way of the gin.

My favourite of the moment is Boodles, a pressie from xmas....yes, nearly 2 litres.

Capture.JPG

There’s a Gin Jamboree at Cosford next weekend if anyone is interested - I can’t go sadly as I shall be slumming it in foreign lands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorillaguts981

Old-Salt
Tries some Xoriguer gin on Menorca. They make it from a sort of white brandy base instead of grain alcohol. When the Andrew were stationed out there a couple of hundred years ago the complained there was nothing to make a decent pinkers, so the locals obliged and they are still (feeble joke) going strong. Did the distillery tour which ended decently.

muff-gin_20180802213356.png
She could also have gotten a bottle of this. Distilled just down the road from the old Culmore road VCPDerry, For the old and bold Banner bods. ;)

Boxer96

Clanker
On holiday a few years back in Egypt (Sharm el Sheikh) needed a bottle of gin for the hotel room. Wandering through the town with my wife I spots a bottle of Gordons Gin (easily identified by the red and yellow label) in a shop window. Right, I'm having that say I. Back in the hotel later that night I crack open the gin and it tasted horrible (oily, like diesel). Had a closer look at the label and had to laugh when I found out it was "Godrons."

Just had our first try of Drumshanbo, as recommended with red grapefruit rather than lemon. Not sure I could taste the gunpowder tea, but the overall experience was enjoyable and refreshing, though maybe not a hot summer's day G&T like Bloom or The Botanist.

Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin 70cl

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Plymouth Navy Strength
Hendrix
G'vine
Millers
Pinksters (for the Missus)
Old Tom
Brecon
The Botanist
Chase
Copperhead
Edinburgh Gin
Gabriel Boudier Saffron Gin (based on an old Raj era recipient, makes a mean Negroni)
Haymans
Jensens
Strathearn are having fun in the Gin market
Bitter Truth Pink Gin

Any recipes or Tonic suggestions required see thread in my sig block
Its comforting to know there are some real experts on this site,,, no matter what topic

Blogg

LE
This stuff is damn good.

Unless you drown it with mixer of course...

Latest Threads