Gin.

ancient

War Hero
will be grabbing a few bottles of the Aldi award winning gin (assuming it's still on the shelf at £10 a bottle)

[/QUOTE]
This award winning gin at Aldi of which you speak; what's it actually like? I'm deeply suspicious of "Own Brand " products, given recent experiences. Is it worth a tenner? Should I only use it as abase for sloe gin?

Not so much celebrating gin, but a city surprising for its refinement: Munich. They produce both a very fine Gin and an extremely potable Vodka. The Gin was (is) very drinkable with all varieties of tonic - and you don't need cucumber or such 'refinements'. The Vodka is surprisingly smooth and subtle - very "morish"

upload_2017-9-18_23-33-37.png

And before you start snorting that I've just copied the pictures! True, I'm no longer there but spent 8 very good years enjoying the Bavarian lifestyle, and this fine thread brought back many good memories. Thanks for that and I hope you might give these a try.

By the way. Anybody tried Monkey 47? Comes from the Black Forest. Not my thing, a very strong taste that did not please my palate. Maybe others have different opinions?

Currently I'm drinking Beer Singh.....

Attachments

ancient

War Hero
"Monkey 47" I had in Rotterdam recently. They're a bit odd over there; fever tree tonic but there were red and black peppercorns and a star anise floating in there as well. As you say, very strong taste, I'm not sure I'd have another unless someone else was paying.

I'm not sure which poisonous round purple berries they can be confused with. Bilberries or damsons or bullaces aren't poisonous and most other stuff in fruit will be growing with red skin.
He was probably thinking of Deadly Nightshade. I suppose they both produce dark purplish berries but that aside they are very different plant.
Here's Deadly Nightshade.
IMG_7508.JPG

(From Atropa Belladonna, deadly nightshade - THE POISON GARDEN website
Here's a Blackthorn with sloes.
IMG_7509.JPG

From Wiki

Last edited:

This award winning gin at Aldi of which you speak; what's it actually like? I'm deeply suspicious of "Own Brand " products, given recent experiences. Is it worth a tenner? Should I only use it as abase for sloe gin?
I've only tried their Oliver Cromwell London Dry (green bottle) but it was a very nice drop. Defo not just 'cooking gin' or 'only to be mixed with berries crap' .... Will give their Topaz Blue a shot too once I've girded my loins to face the Aldi till queues.

Their suppliers are capitalising on their time in the spotlight and will be selling 8 different types of gin from 14 November. A couple of them look well worth a punt.

Aldi To Sell 8 Types Of Gin Ready For Christmas - And They're All Under £20 | HuffPost UK

Last edited:

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Due to the Old Firm game, we being a divided family decided to celebrate our most recent Anniversary on the other side of the country, where we spent many a year (well she did, I spent it everywhere but there) stationed in Edinburgh. Whilst visiting the cultural wasteland that is Edinburgh in September, we visited some of our old haunts on the High Street, unfortunately, the prices had moved on from the halcyon days of the nineties. And she no longer being employed by one of the most high-profile Hotels on the High Street we did not enjoy that mysterious arrangement where they all had a secret pricing deal in many of the pubs. Once ensconced in Deacon Brodies and finding out their Italian lager on draft was priced as if it had been piped directly from Milan, I switched fire to Gin. There was quite a respectable selection and most importantly a barman who seemed to be not only knowledgeable but passionate about Gin, after a slight diversion into what would be an acceptable garnish (go on put a strawberry in my Gin, I dare you) I plumped on one of the local Edinburgh Gins, an Eden Mill which was quite nice, even with the blueberries. It gave me a taste for more so once we had enjoyed a rather nice Italian meal, in Leith Walk of all places, and had safely travelled back to the proper side of Scotland I opened the cupboard. The latest bottle of Blackwood's Dry Vintage Gin put up a brave fight but it's now in the recycling, I have recently been given a six-month membership of the Gin Crowd, so the first sample Ford's Dry Gin was duly opened and sampled, it's a pleasant drink with a nice aroma and only needed a small splash of tonic. It's a product of master distiller from London and a drinks company from NYC and was surprisingly pleasant, from there the temptation to open the other samples was strong, there's a Nettle Gin from J J Whitley and another Ginger Gin from Yorkshire. I ended up plumping for the already open bottle of Botanical Project;s Chili and Ginger, like their parents Eden Mill they favour the ultra fashionable porcelain bottles, so I've got no idea how much is left in the bottle. Next weekends tipple may have to be the Tanqueray if there's not enough left for a civilised amount.

I'm not sure which poisonous round purple berries they can be confused with. Bilberries or damsons or bullaces aren't poisonous and most other stuff in fruit will be growing with red skin.
Or growing on a climber or creeper. Except of course Solanum Nigrum, which is growing in the UK now. Luckily the plant looks FA like a blackthorn bush.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
A vast change from the days when we used to drink gin with tonic to take away the nasty taste of the quinine which was (hopefully and not very successfully) preventing malaria.

Imago

Old-Salt
I plumped on one of the local Edinburgh Gins, an Eden Mill which was quite nice,
How very dare you. Eden Mill, strangely enough, derives its name from the River Eden, by which it sits. It markets itself as St Andrews, but it’s actually in Guardbridge, on part of the site of the former paper mill. Eden Mill St Andrews | Scottish Craft Gin Whisky Distillery And Brewery If you don’t know where that is, try about a mile from ex-RAF Leuchars.
You’re as bad as the daft AA woman on the phone last night who had to ask me to spell Perth (Road, in Dundee) and when she couldn’t find the junction and I said it was just by the back of the university, then asked if that was the University of Edinburgh …

No change then
01A19C72000004B0-0-image-a-83_1477042646871.jpg

A vast change from the days when we used to drink gin with tonic to take away the nasty taste of the quinine which was (hopefully and not very successfully) preventing malaria.
Well I’ve never had malaria - so there must be something for it.

Although now firmly in the North West of England, I take it purely as a precautionary measure.

image.jpg

Young Pv home on a spell of leave and travelling through Glasgow airport today bought me this. It'll be an interesting taste I hope!

I'm thinking the same,I leave these more "unusual" gins to taste when my gin drinking friends come over so we can compare from a common baseline. The label talks about a peppery finish so I wonder if it's along the lines of Ophir (which I love!) pics available of that further back in the thread if you haven't already tried it.

I'm thinking the same,I leave these more "unusual" gins to taste when my gin drinking friends come over so we can compare from a common baseline. The label talks about a peppery finish so I wonder if it's along the lines of Ophir (which I love!) pics available of that further back in the thread if you haven't already tried it.
Well it is interesting, Gin should taste of Gin, some good, some bad, but generally the floral overtones.

Whiskey makes absolute sense to mature on oak, sherry etc barrels, and I’m sure you know comes in such distinct flavours, Islay verses Pershire.

I e mentioned Jeddah Gin previously, but I can’t comment on how that tasted as it was about 120% proof.

The label on the bottle neck makes much of the botanicals , Rosemary , liquorice , lemon peel and cassis bark in addition to the pepper. I'll get the mates over soon....

ancient

War Hero
"Star of Bombay" from the makers of Bombay Sapphire. You get a hefty 47.5% ABV but that's about all. Not much flavour, apart from alcohol and at £40 a bottle, not worth it at all.

Latest Threads