Gin.

ancient

War Hero
As I rapidly approach retirement I find myself drifting away from the beer; it makes me fart too much and need a wee in the night and I'm finding that a good gin and tonic of 6 does the job without that feeling of being bulked up inside. I'm working my way around the various common or garden brands that are freely available and I've just cracked open bottle of Tanqueray 10 and I have to say it's bloody lovely. What gin would you recommend? I await your suggestions with interest.

Hendricks is very good.....But also Tescos own Aromatic gin at £16 a bottle is very,very nice. Works very well with FeverTree tonic too

NB (North Berwick) Gin, distilled in the eponymous East Lothian town and recently voted best London Gin in the World at the 2015 World Gin awards (or something like that). Outstanding stuff, although pricey at about £30 a bottle. Try it with Fever Tree tonic and some cucumber.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Plymouth Navy Strength
Hendrix
G'vine
Millers
Pinksters (for the Missus)
Old Tom
Brecon
The Botanist
Chase
Copperhead
Edinburgh Gin
Gabriel Boudier Saffron Gin (based on an old Raj era recipient, makes a mean Negroni)
Haymans
Jensens
Strathearn are having fun in the Gin market
Bitter Truth Pink Gin

Any recipes or Tonic suggestions required see thread in my sig block

Last edited:

Boanerges

Old-Salt
Plymouth Navy Strength
Hendrix
G'vine
Millers
Old Tom
Brecon
The Botanist
Chase
Copperhead
Edinburgh Gin
Gabriel Bodies Saffron Gin (based on an old Raj era recipient, makes a mean Negroni)
Haymans
Jensens
Bitter Truth Pink Gin

I'm rarely impressed by any postings on here but that's a good effort, thanks, now to try them all out.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm rarely impressed by any postings on here but that's a good effort, thanks, now to try them all out.
Thanks.

Go to my cocktail thread and have even more fun.

philc

LE
Both Plymouth and Bombay are nice, I watched some program from the Hebrides and they were brewing seaweed flavoured Gin, may try and find that.

Something to try.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Plymouth Navy Strength
Hendrix
G'vine
Millers
Old Tom
Brecon
The Botanist
Chase
Copperhead
Edinburgh Gin
Gabriel Boudier Saffron Gin (based on an old Raj era recipient, makes a mean Negroni)
Haymans
Jensens
Bitter Truth Pink Gin

What he said. BTW the former owners of Tyrrells crisps are making Gins and Vodkas near Hereford.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Over the last decade there has been a massive revival of Gin, which is awesome, Hendriks were the guys who really energised the revival. But finally we have escaped the tyranny of Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire. Get yourself on amazon and check out some books on the subject, you'll learn a lot of really interesting history, sample tons of great gins and enjoy yourself no end.

Currently - Sipsmith London Dry Gin with Fever Tree tonic water.

Another vote for Hendricks and Tanq 10, and Jimmy has just pipped me to sipsmith. I was introduced to it in spoons of all places and if you fancy vodka they do Dubrowka at silly money.

Hendricks is very good.....But also Tescos own Aromatic gin at £16 a bottle is very,very nice. Works very well with FeverTree tonic too
I tried fever tree, liked the taste, but didn't like the lack of fizz, went back to Schweppes.

Is Hendricks the one for cucumber?

I'm just working my way through a common and garden Bombay sapphire at present, it's OK.

Latest Threads