Gibraltar's future.

Gibraltar supports the surrounding area of Spain, in particular the town of La Linea, providing highly paid jobs in an area of otherwise very high unemployment. It can only do this because of its status as a UK overseas territory.
If Spain were to take it over all its advantages would disappear and it would become part of the economically depressed region of Andalucia.
As for our leaving the EU making it difficult to resist Spanish claims to the Rock, we resisted them for 260 years before joining the EEC.

Rab_C

War Hero
Gib is generally the first and/or last jolly on deployment. Alcohol is sometimes taken by those ashore. It also has a reputation as a 'rite of passage' for some. Meh. Sometimes transmit and receive get mixed up.

Bet you've never had the lads involved with locals in Liverpool, Newcastle or even Pompey, Guzz and Faslane. Fort Lauderdale anyone? I once had trouble in Aberporth, stone cold sober. Maybe that's why I hate the Welsh?
When based in Gib my duty was as Liaison Officer for visiting ships. Some RN ships would be there for a half day fuelling stop, I would basically implore the Jimmy and Joss not to grant leave as I knew 30mins before sailing I would be receiving frantic calls as people were missing. Those of us based there seemed to get by without punch ups with the residents, it was the time constrained runs ashore from visiting ships that seemed to lead to trouble. However please don’t mention trying to share a mess with the Gib Reg.......

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Frankly hte Spanish are welcome to it.

There's only one group of people who the Gibraltarians hate more than the Spanish, it's the British.
I went to Gib many times during my (Naval) service. It always felt like a place for the lads to let off steam before we returned to Blighty.

Well if Scotland goes independent we will need a base for our Nuclear underwater tubes.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well if Scotland goes independent we will need a base for our Nuclear underwater tubes.
Re-siting the boats is less of an issue than the fireworks they carry.

Mike Barton

War Hero
The thing that gets me is Spain's attitude to Gib.

Can you imagine if by a historic anomaly the Isle of Wight belonged to Spain? It would be regarded by most British people as a delightful oddity. Hundreds of thousands would go to visit, it would be very popular with tourists and local people. All the delights of visiting a foreign land, that isn't quite foreign, just a short ferry drive away. It would become a national treasure, a slightly exotic part of England, but not actually England.

If for some reason Spain announced they were leaving it and it would become just another bland piece of England like anywhere else there would be huge disappointment and people would petition the Spanish to stay and keep it the way it was.

I'm not sure whether this says more about the British or the Spanish.

Always surprises me the French haven't laid claim to the Channel Islands, I know the Shetlands were once asked to be returned to Norway, but because they were gifted as part of a Dowry I believe the claim was not in earnest.

lert

LE

Can you imagine if by a historic anomaly the Isle of Wight belonged to Spain? It would be regarded by most British people as a delightful oddity. Hundreds of thousands would go to visit, it would be very popular with tourists and local people. All the delights of visiting a foreign land, that isn't quite foreign, just a short ferry drive away. It would become a national treasure, a slightly exotic part of England, but not actually England.

If for some reason Spain announced they were leaving it and it would become just another bland piece of England like anywhere else there would be huge disappointment and people would petition the Spanish to stay and keep it the way it was.

It says you've never been to the Isle of Wight!

Most Spanish dont give a shit about the rock, the Basques and Catalans want to **** off and do their own thing,

As was pointed out earlier the rock provides thousands of jobs for the Spanish.

It is of course just a handy rallying call to distract from real problems, the Jocks and the Paddys do similar, forever blaming the English for their own problems.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I recall on a port visit to Gib, we bimbled over to the petrol station where there were still bullets holes very much in evidence.

Robme

LE
As almost happened to Malta. They voted in the 1960s to become a Home County. Soviet interference and the odious Dom Mintoff ensured that they went their own way in 1972 and the RN eventually left in 1979
And for many of them, bitterly regretted leaving.

And for many of them, bitterly regretted leaving.
It is interesting to speculate how useful Malta would have been in recent years as a PJOB in the middle of the Med; a bit like Cyprus without the Cypriots of either side. I've been on a couple of Staff Rides to Malta - fascinating place.

Rab_C

War Hero
Do elaborate...

Are they TA or a hybrid? Similarly why are they included in the British Army ORBAT when other OT units are not?
Back in the mid 90s we were forced to adopt a tri-service WO&SR mess, I am ex RN. The UK seconded Gib Reg mixed well however the locals had zero interest in a combined mess and contrary to mess rules would speak Spanish in the mess. There was always a “them and us” attitude.

Do elaborate...

Are they TA or a hybrid? Similarly why are they included in the British Army ORBAT when other OT units are not?
The Royal Gibraltar Regiment (as they became in 1999) are an oddity. They are now an Infantry Bn and part of The Queen's Division (strong historic links to the R. Anglians), predominantly made up of 'regulars' with a part-time element. However they are not full members of 'the club' - their officers receive a Governor's commission, or did when I last looked; this prevents them getting further than Lt Col and effectively keeps them out of the main swim as far as is possible.

Most Spanish dont give a shit about the rock, the Basques and Catalans want to **** off and do their own thing,

As was pointed out earlier the rock provides thousands of jobs for the Spanish.

It is of course just a handy rallying call to distract from real problems, the Jocks and the Paddys do similar, forever blaming the English for their own problems.
Even in its most fascist incarnation, Spain left Gibraltar alone. I recall that Hitler wanted Franco to help him take it and the Caudillo effectively told him to do one....

Latest Threads