Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gibraltar?

A town, that thinks it's a country, and behaves like a village. Over 25 years since I served there*, but at that time the locals had an enormous (and unjustified) sense of entitlement, and a proper 70s trade union mentality. Thought the UK govt, mainly in the guise of the MOD, owed them a living, and the only people they disliked more were the Spaniards. That said, gateway to Southern Europe so plenty to get out and see. Compared to a lot of UK options would be worth considering, depending on your personal circs of course.

*Which obviously pre-dates satellite TV, internet and mobile phones, so a different world now.

A bit like Rhyl but with sunshine.
I think that might be a little too cruel. How about it being like a 400 yard section of the front in Morecambe, with limited options to leave it?

I was going to add that there are also more monkeys in Gibraltar, but I'm not sure that's so clear cut.

No recent experience, as I left there around 1990. Weather mostly great if you like heat & humidity. Topless beach area was just south of the Runway 27 threshold. The Tarifa beaches, just down the coast, were excellent place for an all-over tan.

Many of the Gibbos had a MASSIVE attitude problem. British when it suited them to be. Not popular with the IRA at one point.

Edited to add: Probably best not to use the word "Gibbos" when in conversation out there.

I've heard finding a pad can be an issue (no quarters for married folks issued as a standard?) and expensive to rent and or buy?

What about schooling?

Small, cramped, claustrophobic with too many people living on top of each other. Weather's ok though and I like tapas.
Europa pool and point were pretty desolate, though they were an absolute shit hole back some time ago, that may have been down to the resident battalion that my ex BIL was part of.

Just checked google maps, looks like the place has been tarted up.