Gibraltar Regiment on tour?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AlfredHitchthing, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember serving in Gibraltar during the 80's with the Gibraltar regiment and as recently as a few years ago hapened to be there to watch the ceremony of the keys and always thought, what a shower of shite they are.

Only to discuss with a mate who happened to mention they had sent bods to Iraq in section sized groups. To do what, I don't know.

I quick scan of wikipedia seems to bear this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Gibraltar_Regiment#21st_Century

Just wondered if anyone has served with any of them in these theatres and if they have any comment?

2. They can't have been that crap, though I'm not sure how they picked up the bronze stars.

3. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Bastion GSM was from Gib Reg. when I was there.

4. I agree, indeed, I am more than willing to eat humble pie. I merely remember them as a bit bumbly, couldn't march, couldn't do anything - not even shape a beret.

I'm sure there are others on here that remember them thus..

5. The TA have changed beyond recognition in the last few years. Perhaps they've followed suit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slow day at work!

Link

And from another article:

Link

7. I thought so! It sounds like it would be an interesting regiment to be part of. Surprised we haven't got any members on here. Or have we?

8. I had never even heard of this site until a few months ago, so not surprising.

They're that far behind, the point at airplanes when they fly over in Gib...

9. We had about section strenth of Gib Regt guys attached to our battlegroup on herrick 6 the guys with my company all done a prettty good job. We even had one Guy who had done PSBC step up and took over plt sgt for half the tour after the original plt sgt was injured. As indivuals they were good lads, not sure what there like as a regiment.

10. I am sure that the Gib Regt are much the same as any TA unit...

Some 100% OK
    A few sh1te just waiting for the boot
    and all shades of grey in between

They had IRs in Boz way back.

11. My experience of the TA is that individual soldiers are great, but as formed units they're a bag of sh*te.

Is the Gib. Regt all TA though? Their website seems to suggest there's a regular bn also: http://www.1rg.gi/theregiment/

nb. Got to love the CO's 'myspace' picture here!

12. Didn't know that Delta... Looks like a home service Bn (similar to UDR in the old days) so sort of full time TA, if that is the right description, together with a part time Coy.

13. Would that be the same Perez as?-

Or is half the Gibraltar Regiment called Perez?

14. I assumed it was, but haven't checked. I just think the picture is brilliant. Particularly like the curtains.