Gibraltar Regiment on tour?

I remember serving in Gibraltar during the 80's with the Gibraltar regiment and as recently as a few years ago hapened to be there to watch the ceremony of the keys and always thought, what a shower of shite they are.

Only to discuss with a mate who happened to mention they had sent bods to Iraq in section sized groups. To do what, I don't know.

I quick scan of wikipedia seems to bear this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Gibraltar_Regiment#21st_Century

Just wondered if anyone has served with any of them in these theatres and if they have any comment?

The regiment has supplied officer and men for the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. It is in these theatres that members of the Regiment have been decorated with two Bronze Stars and a Military Cross.
They can't have been that crap, though I'm not sure how they picked up the bronze stars.

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Bastion GSM was from Gib Reg. when I was there.

I agree, indeed, I am more than willing to eat humble pie. I merely remember them as a bit bumbly, couldn't march, couldn't do anything - not even shape a beret.

I'm sure there are others on here that remember them thus..

AlfredHitchthing said:
I agree, indeed, I am more than willing to eat humble pie. I merely remember them as a bit bumbly, couldn't march, couldn't do anything - not even shape a beret.

I'm sure there are others on here that remember them thus..
The TA have changed beyond recognition in the last few years. Perhaps they've followed suit.

Slow day at work!

34 members of the Royal Gibraltar Regiment have received the general service medal for service in Iraq. One officer has received the general service medal for service in Afghanistan, and was also awarded the military cross for gallantry in action; the same officer was also awarded the bronze star medal with ‘valour’ device by the United States Army. Another officer was awarded the bronze star medal by the United States Army for service in Iraq.
Link

And from another article:

Additionally, he remains the only British officer to have led a United States Marine Corps unit in Iraq. He was further responsible for the setting up and tactical instruction of the Iraqi Intervention Force to fight alongside the US Marines within the Sunni Triangle around Baghdad. Major Perez was awarded an American Bronze Star Award for his actions on Operation IRAQI FREEDOM.
Link

We had about section strenth of Gib Regt guys attached to our battlegroup on herrick 6 the guys with my company all done a prettty good job. We even had one Guy who had done PSBC step up and took over plt sgt for half the tour after the original plt sgt was injured. As indivuals they were good lads, not sure what there like as a regiment.

I am sure that the Gib Regt are much the same as any TA unit...

Some 100% OK
A few sh1te just waiting for the boot
and all shades of grey in between

They had IRs in Boz way back.

Ulster_Rifleman said:

Some 100% OK

My experience of the TA is that individual soldiers are great, but as formed units they're a bag of sh*te.

Is the Gib. Regt all TA though? Their website seems to suggest there's a regular bn also: http://www.1rg.gi/theregiment/

nb. Got to love the CO's 'myspace' picture here!

DeltaDog said:
Ulster_Rifleman said:

Some 100% OK

My experience of the TA is that individual soldiers are great, but as formed units they're a bag of sh*te.

Is the Gib. Regt all TA though? Their website seems to suggest there's a regular bn also: http://www.1rg.gi/theregiment/

Didn't know that Delta... Looks like a home service Bn (similar to UDR in the old days) so sort of full time TA, if that is the right description, together with a part time Coy.

DeltaDog said:
Would that be the same Perez as?-

DeltaDog said:
Additionally, he remains the only British officer to have led a United States Marine Corps unit in Iraq. He was further responsible for the setting up and tactical instruction of the Iraqi Intervention Force to fight alongside the US Marines within the Sunni Triangle around Baghdad. Major Perez was awarded an American Bronze Star Award for his actions on Operation IRAQI FREEDOM.
Or is half the Gibraltar Regiment called Perez?

jagman said:
DeltaDog said:
Would that be the same Perez as?-

DeltaDog said:
Or is half the Gibraltar Regiment called Perez?
I assumed it was, but haven't checked. I just think the picture is brilliant. Particularly like the curtains.

There was a slack handful deployed with 1 RRF BG on Telic 12. I didn't have anything to do with them work wise, but prior to the tour they used to hang around our NAAFI bar, seemed a decent crowd.

From what I can remember of them, they have a Bn on permanent home service (a la HS RIR) and a few Bn's of TA bods, (they may have been downsized) From what I saw of their sniper section I'd hate to be the dumb Spaniard who popped his swede up over the parapet during an invasion!! very impressive shooting indeed!!
This is all a few years old of course, and as we know the budget has been cut, so they probably have none of what I saw then!!!!

In the mid '80s they were, much like the rest of the TA, pretty much just a Drinking Club. They had a Gun Battery(25 pdrs and Light Gun, I think) and a couple of Infantry Companies.

The officers were the local 'squirarchy' although whilst we were there they took delivery of their first ever Sandhurst trained and commissioned regular officer!

The Ranks were a mixture of locals and ex-British army types who'd married Gibbos and stayed and nearly all bluffers to a man.

They did have two interesting posts: one being the Sergeant of the Keys the other being the Ape Sergeant!

They were and presumably still are affiliated to the Royal Anglians and the Gunners.

I believe they've had a bit of a shake up since those heady days of youthful, state-sponsored excess.