Gibraltar & Brexit ?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
ANY concession on GIb cedes the idea that Spain has some sort of legitimate interest in the Rock, which it doesn't.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Would getting the Basques on side do the trick? If so, just grab the northern bit up to the Portuguese border, including Galicia. Greasy little heads in Madrid will be going pop all over the shop.

Basques might even want to hang onto their little bit once the swop is agreed to get Gib back (and a bit more territory).
Doos, now I have a vid playing in my head of legions of troops looking like this marching on Madrid.

Thanks, I'm enjoying the replays.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Would getting the Basques on side do the trick? If so, just grab the northern bit up to the Portuguese border, including Galicia. Greasy little heads in Madrid will be going pop all over the shop.

Basques might even want to hang onto their little bit once the swop is agreed to get Gib back (and a bit more territory).
There is the idea of Britain's oldest ally remaining onside, gives a large frontier from which to operate.
Plus we can get all the fresh produce we want.

That vid's getting better every time.

There is the idea of Britain's oldest ally remaining onside, gives a large frontier from which to operate.
Plus we can get all the fresh produce we want.

That vid's getting better every time.
A replay of the Peninsular war? May be we should carry on marching through Spain and into France and kick Macron out whilst we're at it?

Tippy tapping from my S8.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not to mention peri peri chicken, tomato rice, cervesa Laurentina, peri peri chorico, prawn rissois and crab curry.
They serve that while you're choosing the brinjals.

ANY concession on GIb cedes the idea that Spain has some sort of legitimate interest in the Rock, which it doesn't.
The latest Brexit-related sticking point is Gibraltar, a peninsula of around just six square kilometers (2.3 square miles) on Spain's southern coast. It is home to some 30,000 people, about 200 wild apes, and has been under British control since 1704. Sovereignty over the peninsula was officially ceded by Spain to Britain by the Peace of Utrecht in 1713.
Gibraltar wants to stay British
Its residents are overwhelmingly in favor of remaining part of the UK. In two separate referendums in 1967 and 2002, almost 100 percent of voters endorsed the political status quo.

So, Spain would be well advised not to complain too loudly about British colonialism, especially as it, too, maintains two de facto colonies just across the Mediterranean Sea, Ceuta and Mellila,which Spain certainly isn't considering ceding control over either.
Opinion: Gibraltar dispute shows the absurdity of Brexit | DW | 23.11.2018

The real irony with these irons is that they have bases in Ceuta and Melilla; two Spanish enclaves situated across the Strait of Gibraltar, on the north coast of Africa and whose existence is disputed by Morocco.
Yeah (former)empires are a pain in the balls aren't they.....

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Then you shouldn't keep them in a jar.

Thats another reason why we have to leave, in 2015 when Cameron got his 4 concessions to "sweeten" the EU prior to the referendum, Greece tried to add on a 6 month "restructuring of it's loan" on the same agreement. Now, Spain wants to play a little "Brinksmanship" politics by leaving it till the last minute to put their oar in.
Get out before about 20 of the other sods start playing the game.

Doesn't taking back control feel a lot like giving it away?

Could check the border on a morning and watch the sea of "Brits" driving into Spain on a daily basis to steal jobs from honest Spaniards, depriving their young ones the bread from their mouths......... I may have got that the wrong way round.