Gibraltar Barracks, CAMBERLEY

I also was an ex JL when i turned up there...maybe that's why i'm mentally scarred by the place... 8O ...we finished our pass off at Dover..had an hour or so with the families then we were taken up to Gib in a load of coaches...nobody can imagine what it was like when we got there(unless you were!!) But to have 6 troops of around 30 guys each.... all getting ragged straight off the coaches is quite an amazing sight..and the best thing?We were still in no.2's!!!.
The trg NCO's hated us from the start...and didn't hide the fact-it just use to spur them on when they had their wicked way with us-pt,beastings,inspections,etc,etc.Even after the final troop p**s up(which was a show in London-no drinking allowed!!) they had us sleeping in 2 man "tents" with blankets(we'd handed all our kit in) on the mine warfare training ground.
I wasn't too worried about getting posted to Germany in the early eighties..just glad to get out of that place!! :lol:

I did an Assault Troopers course at Gib.

I thought you RE were a good bunch of lads until this course.

The staff tried to treat us tankies like recruits, especial the PTI's. One of the PIT's got a shock when they took us for a run and he ended up with a slap from one of our chaps.

We wasn't even allowed into your Cpls Mess ffs.

Still it was a good course playing with PE and chainsaws.

As a mere part timer attended Gib for basic & advanced AP courses and found the staff to be excellent, had no problems and it was all pretty laid back and no bull.

The hairy sumo thing though was still there in the cookhouse, fair play that's one scary creature !!

Avre

Old-Salt
I did an Assault Troopers course at Gib.

I thought you RE were a good bunch of lads until this course.

The staff tried to treat us tankies like recruits, especial the PTI's. One of the PIT's got a shock when they took us for a run and he ended up with a slap from one of our chaps.

We wasn't even allowed into your Cpls Mess ffs. ]
Dont Judge us on our Training Regt even us in the Corp dont like going back their sometimes !!

Avre said:
1.We wasn't even allowed into your Cpls Mess ffs. ]
2.Dont Judge us on our Training Regt even us in the Corp dont like going back their sometimes !!
1. Ye missed fack all dude.

2.Excellent point AVRE ! The only people that 'liked' going back to Trg Regt were the rather sad, pussyboy no hopers who volunteered for Instructors jobs because they had no chance of advancement in thier Units. A classic 'volunteer' Instructor' at Gib ? I think someone just described one in the posts above ! 9 Sqn, bully etc, etc. Sh!te hole of a place, staffed by (in the majority) sh!te hole people. Disgrace to the Corp and some of the truly saddest f*cks ye're ever likely to come across.

Ubique ya bass !!!

I was there in the early nineties and can only say that i look back on Gib and can now laugh at what we were put through... i have received therapy though :wink:

I remember the time that one of the weak minded individuals in the Troop went winging to the WRVS about "mental cruelty", confidentially of course... the words on parade just before we were all crawling though a muddy steam were "you want mental cruelty, we'll show you mental cruelty". Just as well we didn't find out who the winging git was :x

tankieboy said:

We wasn't even allowed into your Cpls Mess ffs.
Good on the Peoples' Cav!

aaaah , memories of Gib Barracks , even when they came to dover for the information lecture before we passed out the blokes opening lines (as he shimmered with starch) were , "good morning gentlemen , i'm corporal andy h**t from 57 trg sqn RE .......... and we f**king hate ex JL's."
hardly inspired confidence.(he turned out to be my section commander)
turning up on the sunday after pass off with my old fella , who was bemused to see his lad doing squat thrusts in front of the guard room...."DIDNT THEY TEACH YOU F*CKING DRILL AT DOVER , MARCH UP TO THIS WINDOW!!!"
it only got worse.
the troop mascot "sumo" a concrete buddah , weighed a fricking ton and had to be carried everywhere by the naughty lad of the day.
first parading opposite a B1 course who would encourage the DS to f*ck us around "oi andy , that blokes map pocket is undone" etc.
"LEGS , 6 INCHES...........RAISE"
and that wall on the assault course , you're not telling me that was 12ft
more like 18ft.
the most boring BFT route in the world , 1and a half miles down a straight road , turn around and you could see the finish........just.
"what do engineers need"#
"upper body strength corporal"
"good lets do some press ups then"
55 men building one MGB , all trying to be spare clip mans assistant.
the one armed mental irish Q who ran watermanship , had a plastic hand for driving that looked like he had w*nkers cramp!!!
parading for guard , which was just an excuse for the RP staff to f*ck you around all night......aaaah , happy days.
the thunder of boots as another troop screamed through you lines into the quad for a beasting , which would earn you one for the state of the corridor ,
full screws living in the block with nothing better to do than give the lads a hard time (hmmmm , wonder why they were single???)
still...... all character building stuff , and as i was always told , that was nothing , you should of been in the spiders at cove!!!!!

Neo said:
And YES I am the One... :wink:
Are you the one?..as in the "one" that dared to do the business with that "lady" behind the hot plate? 8O ...has anyone actually seen that "pot" of money everyone use to go on about?Or was it just a myth?
Does anyone know who actually went there? 8O
don't be shy...tell us all!!!! :D

Left there recently... (63 t/s sqn)

No one's done the fat thing, and the tasche is now more of a beard.

Dont eat the spag bol.

In fact, just eat in the Naafi. it's safer.

Who mentioned the fuckin piano, arrrghhh.

Went there early 90's a TA recruit had 2 instructors who were ******* tossers one Jock and another wee tached up c*nt. Hated both with avengance.

A few years later one turns up at our Regt as MT PSI a SSGT and turned out to be ok, the other came to our Sqn as a QMSI and turned out to be a right good lad, a drunkin Jock lunatic and im sure plenty sappers on here will know him well.

Anyway been back a few times on courses since my first escapade and it wasnt all bad but still a helluva experience for a billy.

"Apparently the fat bird is married to one of the chefs who works behind the hot plate too."

I heard she was the daughter of the short bloke who ran the kitchen down at hawley hard. remember seeing her shoe-horning herself into his little red car as we got marched back up to gib one fine day, should've seen the suspension settle when she finally got wedged in. 8O

I was at Minley recently on course,and you can't miss her, her job seems to be to make the puddings, i decided one evening to have a helping of the trifle, while digging in to my second spoon full i noticed what appeared to be a hair, i stopped, reached, and picked the offending hair from the trifle at first thinking it could have been one of mine, i soon realised it wasn't, It was stuck in the custard, so i pulled harder and a hair that must have been 8" long freed it's self. I looked across to the sweet counter and realised it must have been one of her special ones. After almost being sick i took the bowl of trifle to the servery and told the chef ( use that word loosley) that they could keep their extra special trifle, and could she pass the hair back to her colleague.
So far i have never been able to look at trifle with out that thought coming back to me and fear that i may be scarred for life.

Pity you didn't post your thread before november it would have saved me all that pain and anguish, used to like trifle as well. :D

I assume Attitude 1 and 2 are still there? The two civi brothers who try and rule the Hot plate?

There are some things I detest about the RE, having been one for seemingly ages, but my biggest bugbear is the fact that ATRA wont sort out that damn Cookhouse out!! It is without a doubt the shoddiest in the Corps, and has been for decades!! Apparently they cant get rid of the wobblebutt, as it would be unfair dismissal. Do it!! Have a whip round amongst the whole of the Corps... Im sure everyone would pay a couple of quid towards the fine ATRA would recieve :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Come join the Royal Engineers, We'll give you a decent trade, teach you how to clear minefileds and blow stuff up, all while trying to poison you in Mac's Mess.'

I remember on my B1 in 94 we`d all just got back off a 24hr bridge gallop and were waiting to get our scoff the chunkies were bangin on about M.G.B and all us armd types were grumblin about "Bridgelayers......no8.....3mins...fcukin chunkies"when some jumped up 22 lancejack cabbage mech stopped one of the lads from havin 3 sausages and proceeded to rap him on the knuckles with a spatula.
Takin offence to this the bloke in question,who was fcukin massive,grabbed said egg op gave him a gob full and stuck his head in the beans.
I`ve not been back there on course since but every time i do i always smile as i pass mac`s mess thinking of that egg op on his arsse covered in beans.

I was back at Gib Bks for a demo at the time and remember said beans incident as well as the burns on his face for his trouble. The oxygen thieves behind the hotplate were still considerably subdued when I left there a couple of days later.

As for the dreaded words "Wall" and "Piano" that still put the fear of god in me, what about "VCs"???? Where you were given about 10 mins to run round all the blocks and write down the citations for the VC winners.

It made me laugh that one of the c*ck suckers that was in the testing cell (because he couldn't teach a dog to lick it's balls) came to my sqn about 8yrs later and still couldn't get beyond Sgt, right upto the point when he'd done his 22yrs and was shown the door.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
twothreeuptwothreedown The NAAFI Bar 22
Gren Sappers 0
Gren Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 4