Ghurkas are heathen mercenaries

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Cutaway, May 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Any Ghurka Offrs, (RGR or Sp Arms,) out there with a few minutes to put someone straight on the 'mercenary' myth ?

Please pm me.

2. There were shed loads in Iraq.

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Shed loads of what ?

Gurkha offrs ?
    A few minutes ?
    Mercenary myths?
    or just someone straight ?

Or answer E, all of the above ?

4. I never saw a single shed in Iraq.

Take it this is that Argie tw*t on WW2incolour? I'm waiting for my registration to go through so can rip that little prick apart.

5. I am not a Commissioned Officer, but have served 6 years alongside Gurkhas, including 3 actually in a Gurkha Signal Squadron.

PM what this is all about and I'll see if I can shed some light on the matter.

6. I am not a Commissioned Officer, but have served 6 years alongside Gurkhas, including 3 actually in a Gurkha Signal Squadron.

7. I am not a Commissioned Officer, but have served 6 years alongside Gurkhas, including 3 actually in a Gurkha Signal Squadron.

8. Have done two tours with QG SIGNALS. PM me and I'll try and help.

9. If I remember right there were some (not sure how many) contract security blokes killed in Iraq a few weeks ago.

I think that they might have served in one of the Gurkha Regiments but had completed their time and returned home before going on to Iraq.

10. Ghurkhas are ok. The English are heathens.

11. I have to say that speaking as someone who's been slightly put off the infantry recently, I would give my right arm to join the RGR. My grandfather served with the Gurkhas way back when and heaps praise on them. Unfortunately my ACA is convinced its not a good idea and this seems to have terminated my interest in them.

12. I was in Belize with 6GR in the mid '80s. Top chappies. Gurkhas are not mercenaries. They take the oath and serve as paid, uniformed subjects of the Crown. There are similar parallels with the French LE, but they not hired guns.

As an aside, I remember having a beer or twelve with a couple of the 6GR lads on San Pedro (Santini's Bar I think), when some yank comes the cnut and starts having a pop about 'f***ing chinks'! Imagine his surprise after a brief (one-sided) history lesson from m'self. He bought the beers (and a bottle of rum) for the rest of the night - the lads from 6GR thinking it was hilarious. Aaah... mammaries.

Reminiscing of Peterborough 8O

13. Taken from another forum, but seems authoritative:

According to Article 47 of Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions, a mercenary is defined as any person who:

Is specially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict;

Does, in fact, take a direct part in the hostilities;

Is motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a Party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party.

Is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;

Is not a member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict; and

Has not been sent by a State which is not a Party to the conflict on official duty as a member of its armed forces.

The penultimate point is the important one. RGR are part of the armed forces of the crown. End of debate - they are not mercenaries.

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Jimmys_best_mate, you're correct there's the Argentine lad and a strange septic walt who reckons he knows better than anyone on any subject.

They're both in dire need of some re-education, and just baiting the walt until he foams at the mouth is quick, easy and strangely satisfying. :lol:

WWII in Color [sic] Home page:
    http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/index.php

Gurkha thread:
    http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127

Argie's profile:
    http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=63&sid=2abb2f98c8215ab1a1c78f12b84a063e

Walt's profile:
    http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=69

15. Thanks for the heads up Cutaway, think I'll wander over there.