Ghurka Regiment

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by BangorBob, Mar 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My father-in-law just stated that Ghurkas were not a part of the British Army, and were mercenaries. I thought they WERE part of the British Army and that is why they and their families have been given rights to British Citizenship. Can someone please help settle this one??!!
  2. To answer the first question: Gurkhas are part of the British Army. This is pretty straightforward, how could they not be? If this were not the case then they could quite lawfully disobey military commands

The second question raises more complicated issues.

Although the Gurkhas serve with British forces, they are not British citizens, as they are all recruited in Nepal. The origin of the terms and conditions granted to Gurhkas stems from a tripartite agreement reached in 1947, between Nepal, Great Britain and India. This agreement provided that the Gurkhas' terms and conditions in relation to pay should be linked to those of the Indian army and also incorporated an arrangement that only 25% of Gurkha soldiers would be permitted married quarters.

There are complicated issues associated with the Immigration Act 1971 in terms of leave to remain for retired Gurkha soldiers, and/or their families to join them. If this doesn't answer your question, please let me know.
  3. Thanks for the reply Sammy! I'll pass on the info....