Ghosts of the abyss: the story of Don Shirley and Dave Shaw

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Storeman Norman, Mar 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some tale, this - from the DT today. Caught my eye as it mentionsDon Shirley is ex REME - I don't know him but someone here may.

One of those things you read and never forget. Excellent stuff about a man who appears to be lacking nothing in the large spherical objects department. Some swingers!
  2. That gave me the chills, not keen on water at the best of times. Those guys have balls of steel.
  3. Loved the quote:

Under these conditions, the enormous pressure created by the vast weight of water means that normal rules of physics and biology do not apply.

What do they mean by that? Surely 'normal rules' is precisely what happens? With the possible exception of Van der Vaals law the ideal gas laws apply.
    Typical journalists. Make a bone statement that makes so called 'technical diving' out to be something on a higher plane than the rest of us mere mortals can imagine.
    Knobs. :roll:
  4. Most of the headcam footage from Shaw's last dive is available on youtube with a running commentary from Shirley.

It's not easy viewing, but with Shirley's comments you get a sense of the incredibly narrow margin between failure and success on a dive like that.