Ghost Recon Online

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jul 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Yesterday I hadn't heard of this, but a sponsored Facebook post caught my eye (first time for everything!) and I thought I'd have a look.

It's a free-to-play third-person shooter that's heavily reliant on teamwork and use of cover. There are lots of semi-symmetrical, narrow maps that favour proper leap-frogging fire-and-move sort of stuff rather than COD-type run and gun. You even get accuracy and damage bonuses for firing from cover and taking a second to aim down your sight, so no quick-scoping bollocks.

I've only really messed around with it for an hour but it actually looks quite promising. It's a fairly small and quick download of <3GB and logs in with a uPlay account - so anyone with Assassin's Creed or FarCry3 is already well set up to play.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online | Free 2 Play FPS Next Generation

My username is BrunoBrux and if enough people seem interested I'll get an ARRSE clan started soon as.

2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Well I've given it a good going over and I have to say I'm fairly impressed. The graphics are quite nice for a F2P, but then you'd expect as much from a decent house like Ubisoft. There's no sign of the F2P model interfering with gameplay yet, though I notice you can buy weapons as well as XP boosts and aesthetic stuff which could be an issue.

My one gripe is that so far it seems fairly small. I've not seen a map with more than 8v8 as the team structure, but given how narrow the maps actually are there still seems to be plenty of action with everyone funnelled to choke points.

I recommend any PC gamers here go and get it. It won't cost you a thing so there's nothing to lose, but I reckon most of you will be pleasantly surprised.