Ghislaine Maxwell Trial

John McCafe managed it for a long time, until the authorities nailed him

Ronnie Biggs made a big production out of mocking the authorities for years. He actually led a dog's life in Brazil, that came to a miserable and humiliating conclusion back in the UK. He would have been better off keeping his head down in prison. He'd have been paroled in the 70s.

Maxwell knows how things work in the real world. I can't see her chancing it as a bail jumper.

Ronnie Biggs made a big production out of mocking the authorities for years. He actually led a dog's life in Brazil, that came to a miserable and humiliating conclusion back in the UK. He would have been better off keeping his head down in prison. He'd have been paroled in the 70s.

Maxwell knows how things work in the real world. I can't see her chancing it as a bail jumper.
Moot point, really.
And much as the media howl about 'ooh, the poor dear...', I'm sure many other non-bailed women are in US jails awaiting trial

TamH70

MIA
The Clintons have some seriously heavyweight enemies who'd love to destroy them. These enemies - many of whom are senior political figures - have all the skills, resources and contacts to get things done. The fact that they haven't, suggests that the Clintons are either cleverer than all their combined enemies (and the world's media) or that the allegations are baseless.

I loathe the Clintons, but I don't see them as Mephistophelian operators who committed a trail of secret crimes and systematically evaded justice. Hilary couldn't even beat Trump.

Hillary couldn't beat Trump because no matter how many New Yorkers and Hollywood-ites voted and campaigned unceasingly for her, the majority of the people who actually matter, the Electoral College, couldn't stand the stench from that pair that's usually been masked by the gleam of Bill's charisma. In our system, she'd have won.

Remember people were on the trail of Mr Clinton long before he was a gleam in the eye of the Democratic National Committee and became a credible candidate to rob President Bush Snr of his second term in the White House. Arkansas politics is a really murky and filthy affair, and that's where Slick Willy came from.

Even Bing Search knows who I mean:

No, this one...
Blizzard%2083%20Road%20David%20Byrne.jpg
Ah,found it. From The Late Show, a loong time ago:

Hillary couldn't beat Trump because no matter how many New Yorkers and Hollywood-ites voted and campaigned unceasingly for her, the majority of the people who actually matter, the Electoral College, couldn't stand the stench from that pair that's usually been masked by the gleam of Bill's charisma. In our system, she'd have won.

Remember people were on the trail of Mr Clinton long before he was a gleam in the eye of the Democratic National Committee and became a credible candidate to rob President Bush Snr of his second term in the White House. Arkansas politics is a really murky and filthy affair, and that's where Slick Willy came from.

Even Bing Search knows who I mean:

Its hard not to conclude that most people at the top of society live an appallingly immoral life and they're use chancers and cutouts, to traffic all kinds of illegal goodies from the peasants to satisfy themselves. Epstein was a deeply corrupt fella and in a previous generation may well have being seen as nothing more than a pimp for the mob, but now even the mob keep a lower profile and are nervy about getting close to the glitterati directly, as they're will sell them out in a heartbeat.

Moot point, really.
And much as the media howl about 'ooh, the poor dear...', I'm sure many other non-bailed women are in US jails awaiting trial

Sure. There's a whole world of misery and helplessness that most of us will never see.

I had a couple of nights in the holding cells over some youthful misunderstandings (charges dismissed I'm glad to report). It was certainly an eye opener.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
From what I understand Ghislaine Maxwell is accused of offering teenage (17+ IIRC) girls money to be "available" for older men at various luxurious tropical mansions which they'd be flown to and live like queens in exchange for access to the contents of their knickers. Whilst it's immoral, grubby and by some nations' laws illegal, it's hardly the crime of the century*. What's the going rate for pimping? The only reason she's being prosecuted is because of the big names supposedly involved, and the various political axes being ground and careers being built on the strength of them...

IMHO, she doesn't deserve a prison sentence if found guilty, the punishment she's been doled out prior to being found guilty is way in excess of what she would deserve if she's actually guilty (as opposed to found guilty by the US Federal legal machine).

*I have an 18 year old daughter myself and although I wouldn't take kindly to any high class pimp approaching her, I'm well aware of the venality, desire for instant gratification and silliness of some girls her age - nobody was forced to have sex with anyone.

Nice to have some validation:

1638363861028.png

If Dipsy thinks I'm wrong, I must be on the right track....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're going to pronounce dismissively on the subject, you might wish first to aquaint yourself with the story.

This is just the very start of the trial and already evidence is being given by someone who was only 14 at the time.
Hadn't seen the article you link to. Thank you, it's quite harrowing, if true.

However, I wasn't intending to "pronounce dismissively" on this; that you took me as doing so means either my writing or your comprehension is out of whack.

It's "acquaint" by the way. Happy to help, no thanks are required.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In deciding whether or not to grant bail in this case, the Roman Polanski business must weigh in the minds of the judges.
What, from 43 years ago? I would imagine that the weight of the Federal legal machine had a great deal more to do with the refusal of bail.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I loathe the Clintons, but I don't see them as Mephistophelian operators who committed a trail of secret crimes and systematically evaded justice. Hilary couldn't even beat Trump.
I can't fault your logic!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
But not quite correct !

I would happily have gone to listen to Louis Armstrong - who earned a crust early on in his career playing in a brothel.
“What a beautiful World”:slow:

What, from 43 years ago? I would imagine that the weight of the Federal legal machine had a great deal more to do with the refusal of bail.
What’s 43 years to a profession that considers precedent from time immemorial?

More up to date is the case of Guy Savage, the English proprietor of Sabre Defense Industries based in Nashville. Wanted by the State of Tennessee. His extradition was ordered by a UK judge in 2013, and the then Home Secretary (May) signed off on it, but he still hasn’t been sent back.

ipso_facto

On ROPS
On ROPs
Nice to have some validation:

View attachment 619388

If Dipsy thinks I'm wrong, I must be on the right track....

In the grand scheme of life my opinion means sod all. But since you've highlighted it, I disagree with you because you're being too kind to Maxwell by giving her the benefit of the doubt.

The child trafficking in the world is massive with various shades of depravity involved.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Its hard not to conclude that most people at the top of society live an appallingly immoral life and they're use chancers and cutouts, to traffic all kinds of illegal goodies from the peasants to satisfy themselves. Epstein was a deeply corrupt fella and in a previous generation may well have being seen as nothing more than a pimp for the mob, but now even the mob keep a lower profile and are nervy about getting close to the glitterati directly, as they're will sell them out in a heartbeat.
From my very (VERY) limited experience of society's upper echelons, I have a somewhat different perspective: they're just like us low life scum, just with less visible sh1t and more glitter. There will be saintly gazillionaires, there will be baby-raping satanist gazillionaires, but most of them will be somewhere in between, ranging from decent law-abiding gazillionaires through to corrupt and crooked gazillionaires.

The main difference is how much trouble their wealth allows them to get into.

If you're going to pronounce dismissively on the subject, you might wish first to aquaint yourself with the story.

This is just the very start of the trial and already evidence is being given by someone who was only 14 at the time.

Interesting article, but why would a 14 year old girl want to hang out at an old man's house and do things she is uncomfortable with, then gets raped and then continues to go back for years?

Where her parents forcing her to hang out at the rich old man's house?

I get the whole grooming scenario, but where were the girl's parents?