Ghillie suite or no ghillie suite?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by RoyalWelsh7023, Nov 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sniper carde starting in January.

Opinions on purchasing a fully made ghillie suit from the likes of Soldier of Fortune before I go on the carde?

or just turning up with the pants and jacket to make one whilst there?

Any trained snipers or people with experience offere there thoughts?
  2. Iirc you make one on the course
  3. I know but I've been told that if I turn up with a ready made one I will save myself a lot of time/effort and it would often be of better quality than if I made my own.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I would have thought that making one was part of the learning process. If you know why it is made in the way it is then if may help in your understanding of camouflage. I realise that we don't make our own rifles etc but for a personal thing like a ghillie suit then there may be benefits in making your own personal suit.

Never done the course, of course, so don't take this as advice, just comment.
  5. Making ghillie's are part of the sniper cardre. You gain a much better understanding of the suit once yo have made it for yourself.
    The suits that you can find on the internet are piss poor to say the least, one major factor being that they are nearly all full coverage stalking suits (e.g. both front and back coverage) hense making it unrealistic to be able to tacticly crawl into a position or hide without bits coming off of the front. Feel free to rock up with some gucci kit by all means, but just don't rip the arrse.
    So all in all, if you rock up with a pre-made made ghillie that you have brought online it would be a waste of money and it put's you in the general firing line for ripping. You'll be happy with your very own worzel gummidge costume once finished...

Good luck on the cardre mate.
  6. All of the above

Besides, it's a damn good crack

Take some spare DPMs to cannibalise, a decent sewing kit with a big needle, some spare wire (coathanger type) for your hood, spare hessian, spare personal scrim net, gloves, roll-matt foam (for padding), any dark paints you have kicking about, twine etc etc

I didnt do the sniper course but did do the camouflage and concealment training for the photo-ops course. The DS were basically the Sniper Cadre training team from Div.

There was a shiite load of kit to play and make your suit with + a final infil exercise to test them out

A very enjoyable insight into sniper training
  7. Roger. Cheers.
  8. Ghilly suits are fine if you find yourself in some form of static position for some time, in which case you'd probably go sub-surface and erect a hide of some sort.

If the RWF have moved with the times and have adhered to the Sniper 2010 concept, then they should not be advocating the use of a full ghilly suit. But it may be that they get you to make one from scratch anyway so as to get you used to the construction for future reference.

Ghilly suits are very 80's (very American also, although USMC SS school has also moved away from full ghilly), with most units now opting for Ghilly capes which are lightweight enough to stick under the top flap of a bergan or daysack, but still provide the necessary break up of the body silouette. Capes have been the in-thing for quite a few years due to the speed and mobility of the modern infantry. They can be donned on and off very quickly. Most surplus type shops sell them nowadays in usually 2 different colour schemes-OG or desert.

Try keeping up with a company in full 80's ghilly rig!! It ain't going to happen.
  9. My understanding is that a historic part of the course is to make one.

Apparently, it's generally agreed that it's a pointless act as it's not the one people use once they get back to battalion. But the activity of making it is something that's featured on sniper courses for a long time and it's something everyone does as part of their course, and keeps as a keepsake.

I will see a current sniper instructor either this week or next. I will enquire for you.

Based on talk with aforementioned instructor, add a roll of green elastic (10-15mm) for local foliage (similar to as found on helmet) and a roll of green velcro - both sides of it.

As it happens, he builds quite a lot of kit for people going on sniper courses and his kit is good price and good quality. As he's course DS you can also be sure not to get ripped for whatever it is he's made, I'm sure he wouldn't make you anything in the knowledge you'd get flak. He did a really nice job with a smock for me for a fraction of what any of the dixie's corner / troopers etc type places would be looking for. Apparently trousers with pads in the arrse are popular, as you will spend a long time in the sitting position, with potential for spikey stuff underneath.

If you want to drop me a PM I can give you a contact and you can have a chat. I will also ask him for a shopping list and put it here, if you like.
  10. It all depends on what unit you are doing your basic course with. I was a SI with HDPRCC for 3 years (left a few years ago) and students were given 1 week to construct their ghilly capes. We provided some materials, but most students brought their own. Guys who turned up with capes made by a guy who had already done the course were confiscated, and told to make one of their own.

No matter how much shit you stick onto your ghilly vest/cape/smock, at the end of the day there is no substitute for natural cam!

In regards to trousers-there are issue sniper bottoms with sewn in knee pads, arse pads etc and if you can get hold of a pair then all well and good. Otherwise construct your own. You'll be glad of them if the Final Fire Position you have selected at the end of a stalk/cam & con stance involves you having to kneel for any amount of time.
  11. i got hold of one from CALLANS" in liverpool..£175.00 full ,,even covers your boots,, i use it for bird watching, better than a hide ,,
  12. All good advice. Quite why you need substitute cam to cover your boots I'll never know!

Areas that your ghilly vest/cape does not cover should be complemented with green elastic so as to utilise natural cam. And don't use black elastic or for that matter anything of a black texture on your body. There's nothing in nature that grows black!

But be aware-you can spend oodles of cash on a mobile bird-watching hide, but if you pass the course and deploy on ops with your unit, you will never wear it. And with Afghan being the main centre of focus regards ops etc, no matter what unit you deploy with you will not wear ghilly of any sort. There is no requirement.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You can by ghillie capes from a lot of outdoors stores. These are basically green net capes with permanent loops on them. Relatively cheap and it means you have the base layer that you'll tie your hessian/scrim/jute/dpm gear onto to suit the terrain of the day.

The one pictured is quite short, but you get the idea. Either way, it won't hurt you to buy a load of bags of jute string in multiple colours. It's less stinky the hessian and very quickly tangles up nicely when used to give you the full 'hedge' look. Do yourself a favour and try and get the flame retardent stuff.
  14. I echo my sentiments on this one.

An instructor who I had the pleasure of working with who worked with THEM, was badly burnt when his ghilly suit went up in flames after a fag landed on it. Another of a multitude of reasons as to why full ghilly is a no-no.
  15. [​IMG]

Or you could cover yourself in doublesided sticky tape and roll around in the sand :D